What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent nine or so hours sanding down the third coat of sanding sealer on the fins of my brand spankin' new 'Mega Der Red Max', drinking the better part of three bottles of pinot grigio, listening to: [video=youtube;OkoCYkfbkKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkoCYkfbkKw[/video] and such.

I know someone who shredded two of these as an MD. He now has a third reinforced with carbon fiber.

Definitely will be doing Tip to Tip at a minimum, with the limitations of my homefield (10K waiver), this rocket will rarely fly on a J motor (if ever).

Today's rocketry work was turning a plug for a 5" version of the NC-80BB for a upscale FG nose cone for FatBoy and Mosquito upscales. Will post a photo when photo posting is available again. Its got the first coat of primer on the plug to prep for filling, sanding, priming, filling, sanding....then I have to make the mould.

NC-80BBupscale5inch.jpg

Looks like posting pic (uploaded from my PC) are fixed.

Last edited:
ordered a Translucent red 3" Punisher from wildman with a aeropack retainer. Very excited to start this build.

Ordered some Rubber Duck antennas for my Eggtimer TRS. From Sparkfun.com $7.95 each. Received my order of crimp connectors from Amazon for 0.1" headers, ebays are going to be nicely wired from now on. WooHoo! TRS is going to arrive on Friday, looks like a heavy weekend of soldering.

Ordered some Rubber Duck antennas for my Eggtimer TRS. From Sparkfun.com $7.95 each. Received my order of crimp connectors from Amazon for 0.1" headers, ebays are going to be nicely wired from now on. WooHoo! TRS is going to arrive on Friday, looks like a heavy weekend of soldering.

Sounds fun! Soldering is good times (and tedious haha!). Had my first experience yesterday building my launch controller. It is most definitely and art, and I want to continue to practice and do projects that require it so I get better and more efficient. I picked up a Hakko FX-888D and so far love it! Seems like a really nice little soldering station.

Very cool. I need to build my own controller at some point...

Thanks, it was a blast to build. I highly recommend it. Since I was born again with rockets, I though it sounded so cool to launch with your own controller.

Thanks, it was a blast to build. I highly recommend it. Since I was born again with rockets, I though it sounded so cool to launch with your own controller.

Yeah I'd be using it with the intent of As-Gs when I'm flying by myself. Nothing too complicated, just needs to look cool for the little kids that like to watch.

Started another Funk Saucer..put a second layer of fg on this morning.

Will try to bank a few up or it will be the start of my Super Saucer

Also grabbed these to take up to Warners later .. :grin:

Kenny

1446154438869.jpg

1446154511299.jpg

Sanding on a LPR EPM-010 project and studying for my HAM Technician License for tracking.

Just got my Amateur Extra license. One reason I wanted to get a license was for tracking as well. Decided if I was going to get the Tech license, that I would go the distance and get Extra. I'm very excited to get into it as a fun hobby as well. Good luck on the exam, and let us know how it goes.

Picked up my purchases from last week's hump day happy hour. I bought a 54mm 5:1 ogive nose cone, some payload bay lids and a couple of pints of the high temp Rocketpoxy. I broke the nose cone on my KestreL and when I glued it back on, it's a bit crooked. I emailed John from 3 Dogs Rocketry a while ago and he thought this would be a good replacement. This is on my build table and I really want to finish this rocket.

Ordered LiPo Batteries for my Altimeters and Eggfinder TRS, ordered the Eggfinder TRS and Bluetooth module, ematches, screw switches. Hopefully tomorrow will be a huge BMS order (at least for me) and one to LOC precision. My quest for L3 begins with those two orders.

Prepped for heading down to Denver's CRASH launch on Sunday. I haven't been to an NAR section launch in a long time. An old rocket buddy of mine is joining me, should be a "blast" ...

I packed a few rockets I'm willing to sacrifice to the Rocket Gods. These are for testing motors with date codes from early 90s, but have been stored in cool, dry basement. If the motor works fine, I'll bring out some nice stuff. For my Orbital Transport, I'll use a newer pack of motors. This will be its maiden flight, so too risky to try flying with an old motor. I also have a B14-0 motor from 1969 packed to use in a 2-stage rocket's booster, if it's permitted to fly.

Put together a G75 motor today with help from Spauling and czteacherman. Thanks guys! Excited to fly my heart tomorrow :)

Put together a G75 motor today with help from Spauling and czteacherman. Thanks guys! Excited to fly my heart tomorrow :)

Awesome, the G75J is a great motor. Lots of smoke, burn time, and enough thrust to get things moving. Have fun!

Nate

Went to WarnerR's and built a wifi switch.

Warner built two and a Quark ! He rocks it hard ..

Kenny

1446336416373.jpg

Went to WarnerR's and built a wifi switch.

Warner built two and a Quark ! He rocks it hard ..

Kenny
Finally got a MinnieMagg completed with 2 outboard 29's-viola! The Maggma II-just in time for Springfest 2016, exactly a year after the demise of the original. Next? Maggma III with airstarts.

I got to play with some vinyl. Thanks Mark!
20151101_172338.jpg

Nate

Last edited:
Flew my level 2 certification on a J145 longburn skidmark (now my favorite motor) to 4787' in a 2.6" darkstar, and flew a single tube dual deploy with a cable cutter on a H160 Loki blue :)
My son flew his last two flights for his science project on F35s (10 flights total).

1446422791568.jpg

Flew my level 2 certification on a J145 longburn skidmark (now my favorite motor) to 4787' in a 2.6" darkstar, and flew a single tube dual deploy with a cable cutter on a H160 Loki blue :)
My son flew his last two flights for his science project on F35s (10 flights total).

Congrats. That J145 is a really cool motor. I haven't flown one yet but I will in December.

Worked on the Landviper build. Fillets, engine blocks and launch lug. Finished off the decals on a Solar Warrior. Also finished paint and decals on my daughter's science fair project rocket. My first attempt at making decals.

1446424530070.jpg

1446424544860.jpg

1446424558210.jpg

1446424571560.jpg

Back