What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally flew my Estes Pro Series Impulse that I started building nearly 20 years ago and completed this summer. She launched great on two D-12-3s and chute deployed and recovered close to pad. However, apparently the dual ejection charges from the D-12s were too much for the 20 year old air frame as they blew out the tube just above the MMT and one of the TTW fin slots. OK though, since I was going to retire her after this anyway as it was my first venture into the Pro series line.

Impulse 101815 (576x1024).jpgImpulse Damage (1024x576).jpg

Finally flew my Estes Pro Series Impulse that I started building nearly 20 years ago and completed this summer. She launched great on two D-12-3s and chute deployed and recovered close to pad. However, apparently the dual ejection charges from the D-12s were too much for the 20 year old air frame as they blew out the tube just above the MMT and one of the TTW fin slots. OK though, since I was going to retire her after this anyway as it was my first venture into the Pro series line.

View attachment 274445View attachment 274446

Might be an easy fix, are those 3" tubing?

Thanks Cz! First flight was a drag race with my buddy Arlie and it was incredible...both rockets almost in line going up in straight columns side-by-side...very, very even and both exploded off the pads on I455 Vmaxes. Someone behind me said it was the best drag race he ever saw and I would agree on that! :) First landing wasn't so good since even though DD worked fine, it was windy and the rocket landed in flat gravelly soil...got dragged for a while while I waited for the launches to finish and the pads to be safe. Looked like a mess when I got it and I was thinking "this is why it doesn't pay to make your rockets all nicey-nicey!", but it cleaned up very nicely and is mostly shiny again. :grin:

Right?! My wife is making her first rocket and she's trying to make it super nice. I told her, Murphy's law of rocketry says that the more work you do making it look good, the more likely it'll get dragging over asphalt

Good choice, I love my 3" Frenzy XL as a Dual Deploy I flew it to 4451' on a CTI J354W-14.

Yeah I really like the look of the frenzy. I just needed a replacement 4" rocket for the one I lost back in January. I also decided that I wanted a 75mm motor mount in the replacement.

I ended up buying the frenzy today, once that comes in I will get it built. Going to try some new build techniques with it as well as full carbon T2T. First flight will be a AMW K670 RR. Second will be my first 75mm flight and first L flight, L910 C*.

Let's say super cool instead....

Adrian

OK, OK, super cool...
Can I tell everyone how awesome you are?
Doesn't matter, I'm letting the cat out of the bag...
Adrian is letting me build his 5-fin Wildman Gizmo XL-DD for my L3 cert. He gets a rocket built and I get my L3!

OK, OK, super cool...
Can I tell everyone how awesome you are?
Doesn't matter, I'm letting the cat out of the bag...
Adrian is letting me build his 5-fin Wildman Gizmo XL-DD for my L3 cert. He gets a rocket built and I get my L3!

Ain't I a sweetie.... :grin:
Now: Build thread!!!! :horse: :horse:
Oh, wait, you probably want the parts first.... :blush:

Adrian

This is assuming the locals don't show up with torches and pitchforks and burn your rocket at the stake first.

Five fins? Yeah, that's gonna be a Frankenrocket. Great L3 bird though, just keep it away from the power lines!
IMG_6120.jpg

I did a bit of filling and sealing on two Semroc kits that recent assembled, a Der V1.5 and a Starlight clone. I should be able to prime both shortly.

That actually still works to certify...... ;-)

Yep, no damage. Good flight, good recovery deployment, perfect landing, didn't even get dirty.

How did you get it down?

Two members of Kloudbusters are linemen for the utility company. When it hit the lines, it popped a breaker and shut down the electricity to the launch and most of the area around it. They checked the line to make sure it was dead and disconnected the quick link at the bottom of the avbay. The video shows Coop running out from under it before the fincan landed. Quite the show.

Two members of Kloudbusters are linemen for the utility company. When it hit the lines, it popped a breaker and shut down the electricity to the launch and most of the area around it. They checked the line to make sure it was dead and disconnected the quick link at the bottom of the avbay. The video shows Coop running out from under it before the fincan landed. Quite the show.

Thanks for the info! Proper and safe handling of a dangerous situation as well! A good reminder that it's better to do things safe and right than quick and dumb. :wink:

Thanks! I'm really excited to fly my first rocket at Midwest power. Thankful for my hubby walking me through my first build and was VERY excited to paint today

Back