What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished building an Estes Air Commander today. I was reminded of a few important things about these kits that I'd forgotten after a 25 year hiatus from rocketry. When inserting glued-up engine mounts, position them correctly FAST. The right direction too. Once they start to stick, they're in. Also a fin guide would have saved me an hour or two . Anyway, now that it's constructed, I need to decide how to paint it. I'm thinking fluorescent orange. Like construction vests. The stock gray and white color scheme doesn't do it for me.

Feels like a solid rocket. Supposed to go "2200 ft" on a set of D12s

Finished building an Estes Air Commander today. I was reminded of a few important things about these kits that I'd forgotten after a 25 year hiatus from rocketry. When inserting glued-up engine mounts, position them correctly FAST. The right direction too. Once they start to stick, they're in. Also a fin guide would have saved me an hour or two . Anyway, now that it's constructed, I need to decide how to paint it. I'm thinking fluorescent orange. Like construction vests. The stock gray and white color scheme doesn't do it for me.

Feels like a solid rocket. Supposed to go "2200 ft" on a set of D12s

Welcome back to rocketry. Also, bright orange would be a good color for that rocket, we call that color "get it back orange" around my house. Better launch it on a windless day if you are going to 2000', or even the orange may not bring it back. Good luck.

Welcome back to rocketry. Also, bright orange would be a good color for that rocket, we call that color "get it back orange" around my house. Better launch it on a windless day if you are going to 2000', or even the orange may not bring it back. Good luck.

Get it back orange (and red).
Capture.jpg

Get it back orange (and red).
Capture.jpg
Cabernut, from another BAR, welcome to the herd of lunatics, oops I mean rocketeers. Nice job on the Commander. The color you are thinking of is called 'Dayglo Orange'. Not sure what size chute this rocket takes, but you could also get a Dayglo orange chute from Top Flight Recovery. This color was easy to spot among all the orange traffic cones on the farm this past launch. Now if I could just learn to do a gorgeous fade paint job like Swatkat. Sigh.

Picked up my L3 kit from Adrian... It's a beast.

Cripes! You just left my house... :eyepop:

I forgot the rocsim file. It's in my computer at the house you were at. If I get back there this weekend (doubtful), I'll put it in this post... You know, the whole time I had this kit, I never mocked it up. You have it for 20 minutes.... :wink:

Adrian

And besides being Eric's enabler/pusher, I did some rocket work. Got a good clear coat on the AAD98 Interceptor. It's almost ready for MWP.
Just got to put in the alts and charges now. Maybe a parachute, too, if I get feeling saucy....

Adrian

And besides being Eric's enabler/pusher, I did some rocket work. Got a good clear coat on the AAD98 Interceptor. It's almost ready for MWP.
Just got to put in the alts and charges now. Maybe a parachute, too, if I get feeling saucy....

Adrian

That Interceptor looks great...
Pictures, man, pictures. Give the people what they want.

Enjoyed starting an Estes Alpha kit. Fins cut, sanded and shaped (waiting on sanding sealer), body tube marked, and Motor Mount completed. Also, began building my custom launch controller. Fabricated the 15' igniter leads using 18/2 AWG ripcord, 2 micro-ish alligator clips, banana plugs and 1/4" 3:1 heat shrink. Also fabricated the battery leads with 18 AWG stranded copper primary wire and #10 stud heat shrink spade terminals.

While not directly rocket related, I did pass all my exams today for my amateur radio license. I took the Technician, General and Amateur Extra exams and I only missed one question on the General exam; went pretty well! Now I just have to wait until it appears in the FCC database...It will also come in handy down the road if I decide to pick up an Atlas TeleMetrum for my Level 2...

Enjoyed starting an Estes Alpha kit. Fins cut, sanded and shaped (waiting on sanding sealer), body tube marked, and Motor Mount completed. Also, began building my custom launch controller. Fabricated the 15' igniter leads using 18/2 AWG ripcord, 2 micro-ish alligator clips, banana plugs and 1/4" 3:1 heat shrink. Also fabricated the battery leads with 18 AWG stranded copper primary wire and #10 stud heat shrink spade terminals.

While not directly rocket related, I did pass all my exams today for my amateur radio license. I took the Technician, General and Amateur Extra exams and I only missed one question on the General exam; went pretty well! Now I just have to wait until it appears in the FCC database...It will also come in handy down the road if I decide to pick up an Atlas TeleMetrum for my Level 2...

Congrats on the HAM license!

Received a package on Saturday. Except I was away all weekend. So I got it five mins ago

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1445827787.254562.jpg

Last edited:
Worked on a Mad Cow Mini Frenzy... Fairly standard FG build, except for the Av-bay. There is a lot of stuff that has to fit into that area...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1445831395.478758.jpg

Did some basic checks while I had it open.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1445831429.315696.jpg

I believe I have a setup that is going to work.

I went to the URRG launch in Potter yesterday. It was cold, windy, and there were only a few people there. I launched my Black Brant III clone, on a 4' streamer due to the wind. I've flown in twice before on the streamer, so I was reasonably confident about it. Before, I tied the streamer in the middle, so that there were essentially two 2' leads. That slowed it down, but didn't provide more drag than the rocket body had, evidenced by the nose cone dropping first and the streamer and rocket above it next to each other. But it still survived. Then I read that it was more effective to have one longer streamer, so I retied it to one end. This time, it definitely increased the drag, since the rocket now hung under the streamer. But it hit the ground (mud) hard enough that it still buckled the body tube above the fins:
22491320695_fab1613c4b_b.jpg
22465309736_3b120dcc99_b.jpg

So, I guess its time to build another. That was the only flight I made yesterday. I did have my Der V-3 on the pad, but it wouldn't ignite due to launch control issues. Then I found that one of the fins was cracked, so I took it back to the car to glue. When it was done, they'd determined that the control box had shorted and that was more or less the end of it for everyone.

Worked on a Mad Cow Mini Frenzy... Fairly standard FG build, except for the Av-bay. There is a lot of stuff that has to fit into that area...

Haha, when I opened my frenzy last night I went wide eyed at the coupler that will become the Av-bay. It's huge!

Scored big!!!!

4.125" diameter, 12.5' long. A couple wraps of fiberglass and this should be air worthy.

Then you might as well put two of everything in there. :)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1445896572.880278.jpg

There's my RRC3 in there with its battery. Going to put the RTX unit in there when that becomes available.

Going to put my Raven 3 in there as well with its battery (same type as RRC3). Along with that will be a set of terminal blocks for the Raven so I don't get confused when wiring it (essentially a homemade power perch).

There will still be room when that's done. May just have to put a camera on the back...

(Yesterday) Got 54 rocket kits to the school for their upcoming launch!!

The students now have 3 weeks to build them before the big day :)

Krusty

Back