What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love your videos. I was there at Sod Blaster and couldn't find you. What a great event!
There were a lot of us there! Ryan was usually up at the fligh line entrance, often by the SBR tent with his camcorder when racks were being launched. If he wasn’t there, he was either at his trailer prepping a rocket, or out retrieving one.

I went out last night and bought myself a lifetime supply of dog barf.....25 pounds for $14 at Home Depot. I may take half and sell it off at launches. Wouldn't know how much to sell it for though.

Heading to our final social meeting (excepting the Xmas function) for our rocketry club for the year. There will be presentations from three Aussie uni teams that were involved in Spaceport America Cup. I have also thrown my Automatic Antenna Tracker hardware in the car to show.

There will be one final launch day in a few weeks, before the fire season kicks in.

Making some progress on my P-40 Warhawk oddroc.

Also created an Open Rocket Simulation of a 2 stage Blue Origin rocket. It's 3" in diameter, 1st stage is 24mm, 2nd stage is the Launch Escape System. The plan is to use the landing legs, with Lexan inserts, to gain the needed stability and minimize too much nose weight

001 (2).JPG002.JPG2022-09-14 Blue Origin 2 Stage With LES Open Rocket Simulation.png2022-09-13 Blue Origin LES Open Rocket Simulation.jpg2022-09-14 Blue Origin 2 Stage With LES Open Rocket Plot.png

Making some progress on my P-40 Warhawk oddroc.

Also created an Open Rocket Simulation of a 2 stage Blue Origin rocket. It's 3" in diameter, 1st stage is 24mm, 2nd stage is the Launch Escape System. The plan is to use the landing legs, with Lexan inserts, to gain the needed stability and minimize too much nose weight

I think the New Shepard model would be a lot of fun if the escape system was only marginally stable, much like the one in reality. I'm not entirely sure how to tune that up though.

I think the New Shepard model would be a lot of fun if the escape system was only marginally stable, much like the one in reality. I'm not entirely sure how to tune that up though.
Maybe cant the motor mount 10 degrees... or intentionally invoke Krushnic effect?

Which would do what?
You are asking what it does...turns it into a saucer with the equivalent of clear "fins". The CP of a disc is Pi diameters behind the disk or sometng like that (I dont remember the actual distance, but its the reason rockets like the two stagers like the Squirrel Works Too Cool for Spool upper stages are stable, or a saucer I have known as the Thumb Tack. I am surprised you didn't think of it before me as you build so many oddrocs. Of course it only works if you are building the capsule as a stand alone rocket.

You are asking what it does...turns it into a saucer with the equivalent of clear "fins". The CP of a disc is Pi diameters behind the disk or sometng like that (I dont remember the actual distance, but its the reason rockets like the two stagers like the Squirrel Works Too Cool for Spool upper stages are stable, or a saucer I have known as the Thumb Tack. I am surprised you didn't think of it before me as you build so many oddrocs. Of course it only works if you are building the capsule as a stand alone rocket.

The simulation has the base drag hack... It certainly qualifies for that, less than 10:1 length to dia. ratio, and an abrupt (non-tail cone) end. I just wasn't clear what you were referring too. I'm not a fan of faux Lexan fins... and luckily this one doesn't need them.

2022-09-13 Blue Origin LES Open Rocket Simulation.jpg

Did some sanding on the rocket I started the other day,
433C7EC3-1D15-40B3-BB09-F21F6A2EB00D.jpeg

Then I opened a package from MissileWorks with two new RRC3s and a RRC2L, and I also got a package of upgrade parts for a couple kits on my build pile from RocketryWorks.
BA4F023D-7BC4-428C-B187-8BF750B93D1C.jpeg

Started gluing up parts for one of my two SBR Diablo 3 stock build. JB Welded the motor retainers t-nuts in place, put a nice fat Titebond Q&T on the upper centering ring.

Diablo2 motor mount.jpgDiablo2 motor mount.jpg

Pictures of progress on tube fin:

Gluing the tube fins on/fillets.
tubefins.jpg

Baffles/fillets:
baffle1.jpg
baffle2.jpg
baffle3.jpg

Not shown; drilled centering rings to fit motor mount tube
drilled/glued T-nuts onto aft centering ring for motor retention
glued centering rings onto motor mount
glued motor mount into body tube
laminated more plywood onto top of baffle
drilled/attached recovery harness to this plywood
glued baffle in body
glued body halves together
in garage now, waiting for first coat of primer to dry

There's a significant gap between body tube sections, the epoxy siezed up and I didn't want to force it. I'll go back sometime and fill the gap with Bondo. The body is getting black primer. I'm not going to worry about nosecone for now. Don't know what final color will be. Black hides many flaws.

Sprayed black on the aft section of the 30" long BT-50 rocket, heretofore to be known as "Long Wrong Silver." Explanation of name will accompany photo at a later date.

today, received my sanding profile set to use on fillets, now I have to check @ Lowes for the adhesive backed small rolls of sandpaper to use with them.

what epoxy did you use? Gorilla brand?

I think so. It seems to work well enough for the power levels I use now.

I looked at the completed CG. It's going to need a lot more nose weight. This is due to te heavy walled tubes I used for the fins. They should also be tougher than "normal" BT80 tube. I'm thinking this should make a good "park flyer" on G80's. It should hit just under 2000 feet. High enough to use a JLCR, but not absolutely necessary on a calm day.

cut 3 sections of the 3/8" elastic I bought at Hobby Lobby for the 40 year old LP rockets I got free and had missing/rotted recovery materials.

I just finished up two scratch-built 54mm Stealths, one for me and one for a buddy. Thanks to Art Applewhite for providing templates on his “free stuff” website. I built my first 54mm Stealth about a month ago and had a perfect maiden voyage on a J415. I then tried a motor that was too long and unstable, so that one was destroyed. I will limit my new Stealth to 16ish inch motors as Art instructed.

Attachments

• 07900A73-4608-4FEC-A64D-011909300F8C.jpeg
    07900A73-4608-4FEC-A64D-011909300F8C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Back