What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been working on this a while. It is two tetrahedrons: the bottom is composed of 3 equilateral triangles while the top has 3 isosceles triangles, joined at the bottom by an equilateral triangle. So it is a double tetrahedron.
Most of the time, I sit there and look at it wondering how I can make it work. I cut out all the sides about a year ago, and I sat and stared at it. Finally and idea comes, I try it, it works, or it doesn't, or I play with it a bit until it does. Cutting out equilateral triangles was the answer I was looking for. Centering the holes in the triangles should not be a problem, but it has been. "close isn't good enough," so I will have to re-cut them, and do a better job centering the holes for the motor.
This is a wooden prototype. It is currently screwed and taped together. A home made billiard rack holds the top isosceles triangles together and they rest on the fins I plan to glue to the 38mm motor mount. The fins are pinched together in place by the sides of the lower tetrahedron, all equilateral triangles. Burgess suggests I extend that. That is a possibility. I plan to make it of fiberglass. The back end is very heavy. Jimmy Burgess thinks the fins are too big. He is probably right. And he says I will need some nose weight. True.

Attachments

• IMG_1551.JPEG
    IMG_1551.JPEG
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 0
Applied strips of fiberglass to two fin roots on my Cherokee-H in order to close up some gaps that epoxy alone wouldn't handle without adding way too much weight.

(Does that sentence make sense? Is it too many thoughts in one sentence? LOL!)

Spent a few minutes deciding how to fix the ugly on my old EZI-65. It was my second HPR and never a likeable flyer in my fleet. It flew great, it was just homely. I attributed that to the proportions.

Here's the bottom half, and yes I put the fins on backwards intentionally. @John Kemker noticed that right away the first time he RSO'd it.

IMG_20220905_184646400.jpg

IMG_20220905_184717486.jpg

IMG_20220905_184728392.jpg

A couple of good-looking ones here on the forum let me know it was not the rocket, but the spray-what-you-got-on-it homely red paint job that was forgettable. Dragged it out of the shop while digging for something earlier today, and decided to give it some life. It's nearing 30 years old, but still sound.

There's a bit of body work needed to make it nice, so I may settle for a 10ft paint job. Now to decide if the launch lugs will stay on for posterity. The friction fit 54-38 adapter has been stuck in there for twenty years, and still doesn't want to budge. It may stay put.

Worked on pictures from Airfest. My new phone takes *really* high resolution photos and I have to resize them to post.
Here's Day 1. We were on the south side, just north of the Texas compound. I'm sorry, but because I'm still limited in mobility, I didn't make it any further south. I was only able to make it a short distance north, past the "circus tent" (RSO tent). Here's the first set from Day 1:

114517025SML.jpg
114518976SML.jpg
114521196SML.jpg
114523070SML.jpg
114525474SML.jpg
114527379SML.jpg
122344999SML.jpg
122400184SML.jpg
122409139SML.jpg
122415035SML.jpg

I cleaned the Pro 29, 4 grain case. It's so easy to simply wipe it down with a towel-in-a-tub wipe. looks like new. It reminds me of working with people who never cleaned their tools after they use them and when I worked as the wood refinishing guy in the pipe organ business, I did all of the spraying of the stains and catalyzed lacquers. and I when I got done working, you could never tell that they had ever had anything sprayed through them.

Worked on pictures from Airfest. My new phone takes *really* high resolution photos and I have to resize them to post.
Here's Day 1. We were on the south side, just north of the Texas compound. I'm sorry, but because I'm still limited in mobility, I didn't make it any further south. I was only able to make it a short distance north, past the "circus tent" (RSO tent). Here's the first set from Day 1:
View attachment 536219
View attachment 536220
View attachment 536221

View attachment 536224
I love seeing all those pop-up tents.

Day 2. First is my Ballistic Chicken, a kit I bought from Krusty a long time ago. I shorted the igniter when I put the plug in the motor and never got to fly it. I *did* get to fly my Mega Rebel. For the first time, I got to see how crazy fast it rolls in flight. Sorry, no pictures of it, I was thinking of the launch. The other photos show what it looked like next to the RSO tent.

130859572SML.jpg
131212903SML.jpg
131215124SML.jpg131657328SML.jpg131658156SML.jpg

Well the camera on my iPhone has quit working, as it will not focus anymore and it has what appears to be waves like an ocean going across it. So my son is getting me a new/reconditioned iPhone XR model and the camera is rated very highly so the next time there will be lots more pictures. My wife is into photography, but I can never get her to take lots of pictures. I always have to request what I want her to take a picture of.

Got an email from a fella in South Carolina who has seen a few of our kits at a launch. Made my day.

Bought an Apogee Texas Twister from a mate I've been buying from for near 20 years. It was a fleabay auction and I thought at $25 AUD inc postage ($17 US) I could give it a home...

I opened up a couple kits to figure out my next build. After looking over these kits. I decided to do the LOC-1 Magnum. Since it'll be a nice quick build, then I'm going to tackle the FSI Black Brant II, which will be challenging as the tubing is all perfect and the balsa needs a lot of sanding and sealer. The BBII also features a deployment that I've never seen in a model rocket before. It comes with a plastic chute and a 22" nylon chute. The plastic chute is a drag chute to pull out the 22" chute. I'm guessing there will be some soft landings. The decals can't be used, so I'll think of something there.

Not much. Ran the slitting saw through the shaft collet for the antenna tracker. Next up will be cross-drill it for it to be driven by the pulley.
collet.jpg
Getting very close to having a working tilt axis.

Also did some more assembly on the base frame, and prepping for mains wiring.

Also cleaned up the workshop area. Things were getting out of hand.

Here's Sunday at Airfest. First, a big shout out to John, the Prefect of Tripoli Oklahoma. He got his L3 cert! Way to go John! Here he's setting up, then getting RSO approval at the away pad.

110713107SML.jpg
131238810SML.jpg

These pictures were taken standing in the launch field, about 30 feet away from the RSO tent. They start off looking south, then pan north.

122641128SML.jpg
122643047SML.jpg
122644967SML.jpg
122647229SML.jpg
122649961SML.jpg
122652413SML.jpg
122655365SML.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing to swing around, then a view of the pads. The model rockets were launched from the 10's and 20's. Past them were the high power 40's pads.
122657381SML.jpg
122659737SML.jpg
122706339SML.jpg

The high power 30's pads, and in the distance to the right, the 50's pads.
122708910SML.jpg
122711550SML.jpg30-50.jpg
Except for this last shot, all of these are original, non-cropped photos, just reduced in size. If there's something of special interest, I can try to find it and zoom/crop to show it.

Replaced X-15 fin after zippering issue, shipped several Coleoptere kits to people (still have 5 left), started printing A-10 Warthog kits (rain delayed my test flight but I am confident I can get it to fly), started building my 4th 3D printer -- a MK3s+ Clone with some upgraded parts (was supposed to be a Bear Frame version, just for curiosity sake, but they sent me the standard version), and finally, 3D Printed some test baffles in ABS for BT-20, BT-50, BT-55, and BT-60 sized tubes.

1662514395967.png
1662514420471.png

Replaced X-15 fin after zippering issue, shipped several Coleoptere kits to people (still have 5 left), started printing A-10 Warthog kits (rain delayed my test flight but I am confident I can get it to fly), started building my 4th 3D printer -- a MK3s+ Clone with some upgraded parts (was supposed to be a Bear Frame version, just for curiosity sake, but they sent me the standard version), and finally, 3D Printed some test baffles in ABS for BT-20, BT-50, BT-55, and BT-60 sized tubes.

View attachment 536418
now those are some great looking designs

Cut a lot of of vinyl after I got the cheap eBay SX-12 working. Yeah... windows Vista on a Dell D530 laptop and Dr Stika. But what the hell! It works! Its not a stickershock, but its cheap
  • I cut a bunch of 'chrome' vinyl brick-a-brack. You know, lines, small circles, rounded squares, crosses (no not that kind of cross, I am an atheist, maybe I'll call them plus'), and hatches aka rounded rectangles.
  • I cut the V's for the Redtop
  • I cut the broken black strips for the Redtop
  • Added a few of the cut vinyl thingies to the Redtop (see build in scratch forum)
  • I reread the RRC2-Mini manual after 5 years of not using it. Powered it up, set the setpoints, and tested with a 12 panel lamp. Just incase I decide to go to the ROC launch and fly my Rocketry Warehouse Formula 75
  • Weighed all the parts for a Rocketarium Gadfly, Super Chief II, and Hydra-Sandhawk to make OpenRocket files - Images of the Super Chief and the Hydra-Sandhawk are almost zilch. At least detailed one.

A little more work on the Antenna Tracker. Completed the shaft coupling to the pulley by cross-drilling:
Collet2.jpg

Glued an opto sensor onto the bearing support. Also added a 2mm roll pin to one of the shaft collets. The collet will hold the carbon fiber shaft from sliding sideways in the bearings (clearance fit) and the roll pin provides a known "home" location for the shaft when the controller initialises. When the pin breaks the light beam the controller knows it is as far down as it can go. The only way is up 🎼 :):
HomingOpto.jpg

Hopefully I am very close to getting the altitude axis working on this!

Back