What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paint is dry enough to handle. The seam looks better than I thought it would (OK, I confess, I couldn't find the tube of Bondo and I was really in a hurry to paint having put everything off until the last minute). I did no sanding or surface prep - just primer/paint. They call the color "Pink Champagne". Looks more like "Black Cherry Metalic". I'll have to try it over a base coat other than black (suggested for best results). A good 10 foot paint job. I think the fin fillets turned out very well.

seam3.jpg
fins.jpg

Last edited:
Did some finishing work last week in advance of our club launch last weekend. A stock build of an Estes Red Nova and a scratch build called the Trifecta. "Borrowed" the tube fin cut idea from my Kraken using 3 longer tube fins and an elongated body. Finally, anyone who has ever launched at Richard Bong recreation area in SE Wisconsin understands the need to check for "hitchhikers" upon leaving. So I couldn't resist a fun build where the hitchhikers were a prominent finishing element. The Bong Recovery Crew got a few chuckles on Saturday.
IMG_0082.pngIMG_0081.JPGIMG_0077.JPG

I talked to my rocket scientist buddy tonight from the old Owens Corning Fiberglass research and development center days. We talked about what is going on with rockets lately and he is going to also help me out on the stability of the Sea Killer rocket when I start building it. This wife makes custom parachutes so they are going to send me some.

graphics guy came back with a plexiglass display stand/horizontal cradle for the Level-2 rocket, to take to tomorrows Freedom Launch

Last edited:
  • Finished another Eggtimer Wifi switch. So I have two. Should be plenty! Only mistake I made is reversing the LED colors. :(
  • Tested all six channels of the Eggtimer Proton. As far the tests go, all is well. If and when I start the Terrier-Sandhawk build, its my girl.
  • Painted the fins of the Redtop, But not the scale color I was gonna. Instead I painted them with 'what I got'. I have a lot of old rattle cans. A lot of them are completely clogged and will not spray... I found this tan color I had a bunch of cans of, and lo and behold, it worked. So that is that. Sue me. I will make it up in decal details... ;)
  • Got my old Dell D630 running Vista to actually cut vinyl using a Roland SX-7 and an SX-12. Ebay relics. REALLY REALLY happy about that since cut vinyl, even if a single color (nothing like Stickershock), is a joy to enhance my rockets!
  • I did get some dark green paint to paint the bottom stage of a Nike-Ajax whose 3D printed files I found and built. But first I epoxy filleted the fins. Heavy sucker as the files did not optimized in th infill. Next time. It has a 24mm MMT so I can find decent motors. Just breaks at the interstage area. No staging.
  • Primed the Redtop Nosecone
  • Mulled over A) should I go to the ROC launch next weekend? and what should I launch if I do?

Okay that was really the last two days

Attachments

• Redtop-Painted-00001.JPG
    Redtop-Painted-00001.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • Redtop-Painted-00002.JPG
    Redtop-Painted-00002.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Redtop-Painted-00003.JPG
    Redtop-Painted-00003.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Redtop-Painted-00004.JPG
    Redtop-Painted-00004.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I've got 3 simple LPR builds going on- I installed motor mounts in al 3 of them. I also made paper strips to mark the tubes for fin locations and drew those lines on the outside. I'll need to add a few fillets to centering rings and then I can start putting fins on.

Went to a CMASS launch in Acton,MA and went 6 for 6. It was a great day of flying today. I then started prepping for the next launch in 2 weeks.

went to the Freedom Launch
8yWYiB6.jpg

Just milled some 40x40mm rail sections to length, to make an enclosure for the base of my Automatic Antenna Tracker. That is a 20mm cutter. The pieces had been roughly cut to length with an abrasive cutoff saw.
Milling.jpg
Clamp on the vice is to make a stop so they all end up the same length without having to re-reference the cutter each time.

Flew NRC 1/4A PD and A SD at the CMASS launch.

The 1/4A PD bird was lost to timers at 7:44. Club members with binoculars and a heavy duty mounted set for solar viewing tracked the rocket for a further 20-30 minutes. At last sighting it was at 5,000 feet headed east for Ireland. Needless to say, the rocket was not recovered.

A shout out to Aerospace Specialty Products for their Thermal Seeker 13. The model found a nice one.

Further thanks to Terrill Willard for his NARCON 2022 presentation on PD. The chute materials, design and folding were from his presentation.

So did I, didn’t realize that was you… will you be there tomorrow?
no, the costs are too much for me, as well as the 5 hour round trip. I'm still too disappointed with being denied the chance to get my Level 1 & 2 on the same day. That's what I specifically went there to do. If I would have known in advance that I could have not done both certifications in the same way I definitely would not have gone through all that. 🤬

More work on the Automatic Antenna Tracker. Today was putting together a base frame from the 40x40mm rail parts I cut yesterday on the mill.
Frame.jpg

Also fitted Helicoils to the the latest 3D printed mounting plate and mounted that (countersunk M4 screws inside the lid) to the video receiver.
VRx.jpg

Also mostly wrote up the next installment for the build thread.

Back