WARBIRD BUFFS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 130348

I usually do not go into airshows, for 2 reasons. 1 is that most airshows in North Texas area is not conducive to good photography, crowd usually on east side and shooting into the sun. #2 with or without my DSLR I like to be as close to the action as possible, which is anywhere outside the airshow proper. Yes even the parking lot is better than “show center” Here are some of my images during my time in the warbird community.View attachment 130339View attachment 130340View attachment 130341View attachment 130342View attachment 130343View attachment 130345
Great pictures bud and I like the jug the best.

I used to build models for a living, building oil refineries, off-shore drill platforms, shopping centers, pipe-line laying ships, abig model of the Cutty Sark sailing ship for a museum, etc. At a later time, for a side line, I put my name in at hobby shops on their bulletin boards offering to build models for people. I built RC gliders, the big Top Flight Spitfire and Corsair, and plastic models, (which is how I got into the B-17 balsa model with aluminum sheeting, as discussed earlier.) When I would build a plastic model, I would build two or three at the same time, practicing on one, and improving one the second. The best model goes to the customer, and the inferior of the two I would keep. The photos below are from an A-6 Intruder that I built for a gunny who wanted to give it to a friend. I built this model about 25 years ago. I have about a hundred un-built models in my storage room for some future date. One of the things I do on my planes with the gear extended, is place them on a griddle that goes on my stove, and then the burner is turned on. As the griddle heats up, the tires get flat on the bottom and bulge a little looking as if there is weight on them. I know I did it on the A-6 but it may be hard to see. For my "remove before flight" flags on the ejection seats, I use #46 wire and took the foil off the back of Wrigley's gum wrappers. That foil was about .0005" thick. I could peel it off, flatten it out, paint red, cut in strips, glue the wire on and then glue the other end of the wire onto the appropriate location. I was going to put tags on the nose of each of the bombs, but lost motivation on this model before I did.

View attachment 130328 View attachment 130329 View attachment 130330 View attachment 130331
Gorgeous work man.

Those are great pics (like calendar grade) TALON! Are these from a DSLR?

Love, the 6 o'clock view of the F-22 with the heat plumes. :dark:

Greg

Bear....beautiful job on this A-6....just looks fantastic!

I used to build models for a living, building oil refineries, off-shore drill platforms, shopping centers, pipe-line laying ships, abig model of the Cutty Sark sailing ship for a museum, etc. At a later time, for a side line, I put my name in at hobby shops on their bulletin boards offering to build models for people. I built RC gliders, the big Top Flight Spitfire and Corsair, and plastic models, (which is how I got into the B-17 balsa model with aluminum sheeting, as discussed earlier.) When I would build a plastic model, I would build two or three at the same time, practicing on one, and improving one the second. The best model goes to the customer, and the inferior of the two I would keep. The photos below are from an A-6 Intruder that I built for a gunny who wanted to give it to a friend. I built this model about 25 years ago. I have about a hundred un-built models in my storage room for some future date. One of the things I do on my planes with the gear extended, is place them on a griddle that goes on my stove, and then the burner is turned on. As the griddle heats up, the tires get flat on the bottom and bulge a little looking as if there is weight on them. I know I did it on the A-6 but it may be hard to see. For my "remove before flight" flags on the ejection seats, I use #46 wire and took the foil off the back of Wrigley's gum wrappers. That foil was about .0005" thick. I could peel it off, flatten it out, paint red, cut in strips, glue the wire on and then glue the other end of the wire onto the appropriate location. I was going to put tags on the nose of each of the bombs, but lost motivation on this model before I did.

View attachment 130328 View attachment 130329 View attachment 130330 View attachment 130331

that P-47 is just sweet! the P-38 looks awesome too....looks like an early version of the 38?

View attachment 130348

I usually do not go into airshows, for 2 reasons. 1 is that most airshows in North Texas area is not conducive to good photography, crowd usually on east side and shooting into the sun. #2 with or without my DSLR I like to be as close to the action as possible, which is anywhere outside the airshow proper. Yes even the parking lot is better than “show center” Here are some of my images during my time in the warbird community.View attachment 130339View attachment 130340View attachment 130341View attachment 130342View attachment 130343View attachment 130345

Fred22 and NJRick, Thank you very much for the compliments. I do appreciate them. I would say the same to anyone else who desires to reflect similar opinions.

Those are great pics (like calendar grade) TALON! Are these from a DSLR?

Love, the 6 o'clock view of the F-22 with the heat plumes. :dark:

Greg
Thanks Greg, yes I use a Nikon D 200, some images are with a 35-70mm lens (w/image sensor actually 57-105) or 70-200mm 2.8 (image sensor 105-300mm). Did you check out my pix from pg 4 of this thread.

that P-47 is just sweet! the P-38 looks awesome too....looks like an early version of the 38?

Thanks NJRick, it is a P-38L. It use to belong to Lefty Gardner and was well known as WHITE LIGHTNING. He would put on a great show, was a fixture at Reno and raced it in the 1980s. Kind of ticked off it went across the pond.

Ya know, one of the prettiest planes I ever saw was a P-63. When I was a kid--mid 70's--A fellow had one in our area. On saturday mornings, I'd go out my door and watch him do aerobatics over our house----sounded like a 51---I finally saw it up close at Oshkosh---WHAT A PLANE!!

Yeah the King Cobra was something else. Just like the P-39 Airacobra though, you had the engine behind you and the drive shaft to the propeller going between your legs and some kinda great big cannon in front of you that fired through the prop spinner. Pretty plane,just did not have the performance. We loaned them to Russia on the Lend/Lease program and eventually gave them away. Top speed was 437 mph with a range of 450 miles. It did have a roll rate faster than anything else, though.

Ya know, one of the prettiest planes I ever saw was a P-63. When I was a kid--mid 70's--A fellow had one in our area. On saturday mornings, I'd go out my door and watch him do aerobatics over our house----sounded like a 51---I finally saw it up close at Oshkosh---WHAT A PLANE!!

The KING COBRA. It had the most powerful Allison engine built during the war.:cool:The majority of them went to the USSR. It could be possible that this P-63 was part of PINBALL operations. Where it was a target plane with a human pilot:y:. It had armor skin and in place of the cannon thru the prop, it had a light that lit up when the A/C was hit:eyepop: by frangible ammo of course :eyeroll:
A note on the Allison, Alexander Serversky (Billy Mitchell's right hand man) wrote a provocative book in 1941 before 12/07/41. In it he ripped the congress for approving the Allison, an inferior engine to the Merlin. The fact was the the Allison was a political football that was approved to satisfy some congressman because it was built in his district.:mad: oh forgot, the name of the book is "VICTORY THROUGH AIRPOWER"

The KING COBRA. It had the most powerful Allison engine built during the war.:cool:The majority of them went to the USSR. It could be possible that this P-63 was part of PINBALL operations. Where it was a target plane with a human pilot:y:. It had armor skin and in place of the cannon thru the prop, it had a light that lit up when the A/C was hit:eyepop: by frangible ammo of course :eyeroll:
A note on the Allison, Alexander Serversky (Billy Mitchell's right hand man) wrote a provocative book in 1941 before 12/07/41. In it he ripped the congress for approving the Allison, an inferior engine to the Merlin. The fact was the the Allison was a political football that was approved to satisfy some congressman because it was built in his district.:mad: oh forgot, the name of the book is "VICTORY THROUGH AIRPOWER"

Something similar was happening across the pond in the late 20's / early 30's. A man named Winston Spencer Churchill who was serving in Parliament was arguing that the British should not sell the manufacturing rights of the Rolls-Royce Merlin to Daimler-Benz. He said that if we do we will be fighting against those same engines that will be installed in warplanes used against us in less than a decade. The Germans inverted the engines, got rid of the carburetors, and installed fuel injection. Seems to me that was the engine used in the Me-109 and 110. I guess he was right.

Thanks Greg, yes I use a Nikon D 200, some images are with a 35-70mm lens (w/image sensor actually 57-105) or 70-200mm 2.8 (image sensor 105-300mm). Did you check out my pix from pg 4 of this thread.

Yes! My favs are the jug taxiing, swinging the big Ham Standard and the P-38 in flight (tight, clean lines).

Greg

Something similar was happening across the pond in the late 20's / early 30's. A man named Winston Spencer Churchill who was serving in Parliament was arguing that the British should not sell the manufacturing rights of the Rolls-Royce Merlin to Daimler-Benz. He said that if we do we will be fighting against those same engines that will be installed in warplanes used against us in less than a decade. The Germans inverted the engines, got rid of the carburetors, and installed fuel injection. Seems to me that was the engine used in the Me-109 and 110. I guess he was right.

Yeh, then they gave the USSR the license rights to Goblin:facepalm: of course Uncle Sam is ready to supply the Syrian rebels with weapons:dark:, that can take a big bite out of our rear in the future,:eyepop:

Does anybody know what "FiFi" means in military speak? I do....but it aint suitable for a public forum.:facepalm:

Yeh, then they gave the USSR the license rights to Goblin:facepalm: of course Uncle Sam is ready to supply the Syrian rebels with weapons:dark:, that can take a big bite out of our rear in the future,:eyepop:

My understanding, and not trying to get political in anyway, just repeating history from a different perspective is we are already shipping weapons to the Syrians, from Libya to Turkey to Syria. That is the underground story for Benghazi, supposedly. Since we have a treaty with Russia to not supply the Rebels with arms, then our government has to find a very discreet method for the delivery. I will be happy to tell you more offline/PM. Whether those weapons get used in Syria by the Rebels, who we may not know, or their history and allegiances; if they actually get rid of the President of Syria, or if they will be used against Israel is unknown. I will not express my opinions here, just repeating what I have heard/read in the news. Again, if further discussion is desired, we can do it off-line.

My understanding, and not trying to get political in anyway, just repeating history from a different perspective is we are already shipping weapons to the Syrians, from Libya to Turkey to Syria. That is the underground story for Benghazi, supposedly. Since we have a treaty with Russia to not supply the Rebels with arms, then our government has to find a very discreet method for the delivery. I will be happy to tell you more offline/PM. Whether those weapons get used in Syria by the Rebels, who we may not know, or their history and allegiances; if they actually get rid of the President of Syria, or if they will be used against Israel is unknown. I will not express my opinions here, just repeating what I have heard/read in the news. Again, if further discussion is desired, we can do it off-line.
That's a good plan of action thank you bear.

Latest posts

Back