WARBIRD BUFFS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hornet driver

Reaction score
Warbirds over Addison is this weekend if your in the DFW area--just a couple miles from my house. Hoping to see Fifi-B-29 among others. 10 bucks at the gate--got a great museum too--part of the Commemorative Air Force. Gates open at 10. Sat and Sun.

I was over at my SIL's house and heard a distinctive drone (that wasn't the women talking...)-looked up and there was the most beautiful site of the sun glinting off the cockpit windows of a B-17! A few minutes later a P-47 and then a B-24 come lining up on approach. My company helps support the tour every year and I've snagged rides in the -17, -24 and the A-25 as a PR perk. You gotta see these in person!

I was over at my SIL's house and heard a distinctive drone (that wasn't the women talking...)-looked up and there was the most beautiful site of the sun glinting off the cockpit windows of a B-17! A few minutes later a P-47 and then a B-24 come lining up on approach. My company helps support the tour every year and I've snagged rides in the -17, -24 and the A-25 as a PR perk. You gotta see these in person!

Dave don't they have airshows down your way @ El Centro?? I think that's the location???

We've been seeing WWII era war planes over the area for the last few weeks, the sound the old bombers make is so cool. I figured something was going on...tomorrow is launch day in Frisco, hopefully we see a few on the drive up and back.

You guys should come up and visit the PNW.....Paul Allen has a gorgeous collection of warbirds up at Payne Field and they have a "fly day" once a month. Coming up in June is Flying Tigers day, and they will let the P-40 and Zero loose in the skies for awhile.

In the fall the Collins Foundation flies around a B-17, B-24, B-25 and a TP-51C. Last year they skipped my local airport but went to two other airports 20 miles away. I skipped going to see them. My local airport charged them for security. They never did before.

B-17G is my all time fav plane.....you look at that thing and to me is signifies an era...you can almost here the big band music etc....it just looks tough and mean.....

WW2 warbirds are special for sure. When I was a kid it was still pretty common to see the B-29's (or B-50's) still flying in service. I was cruising by the Abilene,TX airport a few years ago and off to my left I saw a B-29 on approach. I pulled over and watched FiFi roar right over me! very cool.

Dave don't they have airshows down your way @ El Centro?? I think that's the location???
Dan-We support them out of Gillespie Field in El Cajon. They could go to El Centro, IDK. I know Collins has a pretty aggressive tour itererary. I almost got talked into joining them as a A&P; but it's more of a travelling circus/gypsy life for the crews. That's a younger man's game.

Dan-We support them out of Gillespie Field in El Cajon. They could go to El Centro, IDK. I know Collins has a pretty aggressive tour itererary. I almost got talked into joining them as a A&P; but it's more of a travelling circus/gypsy life for the crews. That's a younger man's game.

Younger man's game, have you seen who flies and crews these planes?
They are almost as old as the planes!

I absolutely love planes and airshows !

I saw FiFi fly last year (June) alone and in formation with B-17 ,Lancaster ,B-24 ,B-25 supported by P-51s ,Spitfires ,F4U Corsaire,Hawker Hurricane ,P-40 and an F6F Hellcat !

To see those fly by and the thunder of all those engines gave me goosebumps and a lump in my throat !

I wish I was going this year ,but cannot.

Next year I plan to attend at least one BIG airshow.

Cheers

Paul t

B-17G is my all time fav plane.....you look at that thing and to me is signifies an era...you can almost here the big band music etc....it just looks tough and mean.....
I went to church with a gentleman who was a tail gunner in a B-17, was shot down over Germany and put in several POW camps for 1 year, 1 day. Here is an article about him published a few months ago. Bill passed away week before last. So 17s have a special place in my heart!!

I would wager a bet that the B-17 and it`s varients is probably the most famous warplane(WWII) ,at least in the bomber role ,if not them all.

How many kids didn`t have a Monogram or Revell plastic model of the B-17 hanging from their bedroom ceiling......I did :cheers:

Paul T

I built two of the Monogram B-17's in 1/48 and I cant tell you how many Revell ones over the years...that Monogram 17 has been out for years! still a sweet kit.

I would wager a bet that the B-17 and it`s varients is probably the most famous warplane(WWII) ,at least in the bomber role ,if not them all.

How many kids didn`t have a Monogram or Revell plastic model of the B-17 hanging from their bedroom ceiling......I did :cheers:

Paul T

Memphis Belle from the Liberty Foundation has been flying around the Salt Lake Valley all day today. Monday if flew right over my house. I have been running from window to window when I have been inside to catch a peek at it. I think I might be driving my wife nuts.

If you want to try a warbird for rocketry try the PQ-13. 770px-First_JATO_assisted_Flight_-_GPN-2000-001538.jpg It's a Ercoupe that was use to test the JATO system. It is the first airplane to be launch by JATO

Last edited:
Headed out there in about an hour. I'll post some pics later. Rumor has it FiFi won't be there--sux, she's been flying around all week.

Headed out there in about an hour. I'll post some pics later. Rumor has it FiFi won't be there--sux, she's been flying around all week.

Oh man ,that would be a bummer if FiFi does not show ,but let`s hope it`s just a rumor ! I`m glad I had a chance to her ,bid beautiful shiny aluminum beast that she is !

Please do post plenty of pictures ,I would love to see them !

Have a great time Bill !

Paul T

Well drat, no FiFi. But a good time was had anyway. One treat was a trip to the south hanger--not normally open to the public---What a gold mine!! A B-24 under repair, a Yak-3,HE-111, and a T-34 tank waiting restoration---lighting was soso here----DSCF0747.jpgDSCF0748.jpgDSCF0750.jpgDSCF0751.jpg-------Oh yea , there was this sitting in the background--being restored---can you say P-47----DSCF0678.jpg---

GREAT PICTURES!! is that a Yak-9 in there? where in the world did they get that?

Well drat, no FiFi. But a good time was had anyway. One treat was a trip to the south hanger--not normally open to the public---What a gold mine!! A B-24 under repair, a Yak-3,HE-111, and a T-34 tank waiting restoration---lighting was soso here----View attachment 129921View attachment 129922View attachment 129923View attachment 129924-------Oh yea , there was this sitting in the background--being restored---can you say P-47----View attachment 129925---

great start up pictures..I love the Avenger...and its nick name.."the Turkey!" Neat pictures of the P-40....I always did like that Aleutians scheme...when you look at the P-51 in there...its as if its been transported in from a different time. It just seems to be such an advanced design.

Back