JLCR sticking issue

Lord Rory Gin

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Apr 1, 2021
Messages
327
Reaction score
300
Location
Regina, Saskatchewan
I had a problem with my JLCR last weekend. I had planned to use it on a cert flight but I thought I would build my confidence if I tested it on a smaller MPR rocket first. Note: the reason I was not confident was that the week before it had flown in another MPR but the chute became dis-attached from the rocket and the JLCR came off. It ended up in field by itself and amazingly my brother was able to find it among the weeds with his metal detector.

I put it in the new rocket with a Dino pouch on a 18" chute. I had tested it that morning before flying with it and it appeared to work just fine. Mind you I'm not sure the chute was large enough to enough tension on the rubber band. And the chute failed to open. When I retrieved the rocket the servo mechanism would absolutely not release the pin; NADA. I tried multiple times to release the pin and pulled on it with a lot of pressure but it would not release. Even the mechanism did not want to rotate without a lot of force. I then just dumped in my field case and told myself I would look at it when I got home. I would not use it on my certification flight.

Now the other day, I got it back out and put a couple of drops of WD-40 on it, thinking that if the mechanism is totally pooched then the addition of the WD-40 can't make it any worse. I worked it in the mechanism and voila! it came loose much to my surprise. Another drop and some compressed air to help clean it up and then I retested it. It seems to release the pin properly now and I don't have to pry open the case.

My guess is that I somehow got some dust/grit in the mechanism between testing and flying. Or perhaps it had dust in it from the week prior? Or perhaps it was grit from the ejection charge? (Not as likely since the rocket uses a baffle.) Note to self: when prepping rockets, always test the JLCR to ensure it is working correctly. And add WD-40 and compressed air to my field box. Also note: the price of a new JLCR has gone up in the last month - now $198 CDN.
 

Buzzard

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
563
Reaction score
150
Location
Fort Worth, TX
I have found that if the pin in the release mechanism is canted at an angle, that it can bind. I try to ensure that the pin will release straight "down" out of the restraint. This sometimes results with the JLCR being offset to one side of the folded parachute rather than in the middle. I have also switched to the fabric covered elastic hair ties instead of the rubber bands that can age and snap.
Hope this helps.
Chas
 

teepot

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Dec 7, 2019
Messages
3,390
Reaction score
3,663
Location
Pahrump, Nevada
I ditched the rubber band for silicon bands. I get positive release every time. The silicon has more stretch so the band has more power to help it open. I fly off a dry lake bed. Lots of dirt and dust. Haven't had a problem with it getting gummed up. The WD-40 will attract and hold dirt. Try a dry lube like silicon.
 

Lord Rory Gin

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Apr 1, 2021
Messages
327
Reaction score
300
Location
Regina, Saskatchewan
I ditched the rubber band for silicon bands. I get positive release every time. The silicon has more stretch so the band has more power to help it open. I fly off a dry lake bed. Lots of dirt and dust. Haven't had a problem with it getting gummed up. The WD-40 will attract and hold dirt. Try a dry lube like silicon.
Good point on the silicon lube but I the thought behind the WD-40 was to break it free first since I had a small can in my kit and it was readily available. Now that its free, I can add the silicon.
 

waltr

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2021
Messages
1,190
Reaction score
699
Location
SE Pennsylvania
I had a problem with my JLCR last weekend. I had planned to use it on a cert flight but I thought I would build my confidence if I tested it on a smaller MPR rocket first.

Good reasoning. You should not do anything NEW or anything you are unsure of for a Cert flight.

My L1 was simple motor eject at 956 feet apogee.
I have seen two L1 cert flights fail with a JLCH, One didn't realse the other the JLCR tangled in the chute's shroud lines. Both came in hard and damaged the BT so failed.
 

jdsmith39

Active Member
Joined
May 23, 2021
Messages
27
Reaction score
28
Location
Michigan
I haven't had the anchor point stick, but I have had the rubber bands (ones that come with it) stick to the chute MANY times. Many of those being for my L2 Cert a few years back. I'm stubborn and wanted to succeed how I wanted to succeed so kept going with the chute release instead of doing motor deploy.
However, I did find a simple/cheap solution, hair ties. The SUPER cheap ones are cloth covered. See below for a pic of the hair ties.
20221026_080119.jpg
I've used the single hair tie for chutes up to 40 to 48 inch diameter (depends on the chute's nylon mill and how you fold it). For larger chutes, I combine two hair ties. I rarely use the double one now because all of my larger rockets have been converted to dual deploy.
 
Top