WARBIRD BUFFS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a ton waiting restoration to flight worthy or display-----DSCF0696.jpgDSCF0735.jpgDSCF0779.jpgDSCF0780.jpg----and ther's stuff in every corner---DSCF0672.jpgDSCF0690.jpgDSCF0691.jpgDSCF0777.jpgDSCF0778.jpg

great start up pictures..I love the Avenger...and its nick name.."the Turkey!" Neat pictures of the P-40....I always did like that Aleutians scheme...when you look at the P-51 in there...its as if its been transported in from a different time. It just seems to be such an advanced design.

Here is a better pic of them together----DSCF0765.jpgDSCF0766.jpg

is that a Zero in flight condition?? what a great hangar! holy smokes! you are right! it is a gold mine!

Yep--more pics of it---DSCF0700.jpgDSCF0702.jpgDSCF0705.jpg----They were supposed to fly it today--we left early--and there were high winds--doubt they flew it--one of the P-40's had a problem and did not fly---all in all it's more of an open house that an airshow--very laid back and fun--no stress--we left before they flew the Wildcats---one F-4F and an FM-2

Memphis Belle from the Liberty Foundation has been flying around the Salt Lake Valley all day today. Monday if flew right over my house. I have been running from window to window when I have been inside to catch a peek at it. I think I might be driving my wife nuts.

That's funny I do the same thing and drive my wife crazy running from window to window!

great shots....Hornet, I read something a long time ago...the writer was wondering what the result of the Battle of Britain had been had the Germans been flying the Zero as opposed to the Me-109....the Zero had the range an maneuverability to give the Spitfires a hard time...of course, they totally lacked any armor...interesting to think about anyway. just awesome pictures! thank you for posting them!

Yep--more pics of it---View attachment 129956View attachment 129957View attachment 129959----They were supposed to fly it today--we left early--and there were high winds--doubt they flew it--one of the P-40's had a problem and did not fly---all in all it's more of an open house that an airshow--very laid back and fun--no stress--we left before they flew the Wildcats---one F-4F and an FM-2

Here is one that I built a model of as a kid. I always thought it was the coolest looking Jap fighter. K61 Hien Tony.jpg

Here is one that I built a model of as a kid. I always thought it was the coolest looking Jap fighter. View attachment 129979

That was a pretty bird. To my knowledge there are only three left. One is on display in Tokyo , the other two are in the states in restoration or waiting restoration---Beautiful bird--looks like it had a lot of Italian influence---just a guess on my part though--

Hornet,
is that a Mig-15 sitting out there awaiting restoration? and behind the ol Skymaster, what are those large triangular shapes standing in the corner?

F-105 wild weasel...I always liked the F-105...just a nasty lookin
g plane....cool stuff!

That was a pretty bird. To my knowledge there are only three left. One is on display in Tokyo , the other two are in the states in restoration or waiting restoration---Beautiful bird--looks like it had a lot of Italian influence---just a guess on my part though--
There are some who think that this design was given to Japan by the Germans. It looks very much like a
Heinkel He 100. The Tony did use a license built Daimler-Benz engine, an inverted V-12. The museums 109 and
HE 111/CASA 2.111 have RR Merlins in them, and they alter the look of the German A/C. The main problem with Daimler-Benz engines is the lack of them and parts, seeing how we blasted the factories during WWII

I built two of the Monogram B-17's in 1/48 and I cant tell you how many Revell ones over the years...that Monogram 17 has been out for years! still a sweet kit.

There is a 1:32nd scale kit on it's way......my wife just gave me my birthday present a little early and booked two seats on the Wings of Freedom B-17 at the end of June. Expect pics

BTW....I mentioned Paul Allen's Heritage of Flight museum earlier....I just heard that he purchased a V-2 rocket and plans to display it at the museum! Can't wait to see that

The MiG in the photo is a MiG 17, from Poland, and if I remember correctly was built under license by Poland. The FAA (Feds Against Aviation) would not allow the plane to be restored to flying condition because of lack of logs and instruments in a foreign language (this is what the museum stated), so they decided to restore it to static condition only.
The F-4 Phantom is an actual Vietnam MiG killer. It is on (permanent) loan from the USAF. The museum restored it for static only as a requirement by the USAF. But give it working engines and working avionics and it would be 99.999% ready to fly. Both the MiG & the Phantom were restored in the same hanger at the same time. The joke among the restorers at the time was, at the end of the day, just before the lights were turned off and doors locked, they would look at the A/C and say "behave, no fighting"

Hornet,
is that a Mig-15 sitting out there awaiting restoration? and behind the ol Skymaster, what are those large triangular shapes standing in the corner?

Pretty sure it's a Mig-17---Those triangular things appear to be aerial gunnery targets. I think they were called darts

agree Bill...the Tony was a sweet looking plane! I love the Japanese paint schemes too.

I gotta tell ya, I had more fun today than I've had in years. This place brought back a lot of memories from my late teens --I was hangin with the warbird crowd then-- The place even smells like oil and grease---well at least the south hangar--- The rest of the place is pristine---hell the south hangar was pristine--just a LOT of stuff in there!!! I could spend a lifetime just going through the parts they have---just WOW---

what a GREAT birthday present!! that will be an awesome day!
a 1/32 B-17?? that is going to be huge!

There is a 1:32nd scale kit on it's way......my wife just gave me my birthday present a little early and booked two seats on the Wings of Freedom B-17 at the end of June. Expect pics

BTW....I mentioned Paul Allen's Heritage of Flight museum earlier....I just heard that he purchased a V-2 rocket and plans to display it at the museum! Can't wait to see that

sounds like an awesome day Hornet! awesome pictures. What a great museum!

I gotta tell ya, I had more fun today than I've had in years. This place brought back a lot of memories from my late teens --I was hangin with the warbird crowd then-- The place even smells like oil and grease---well at least the south hangar--- The rest of the place is pristine---hell the south hangar was pristine--just a LOT of stuff in there!!! I could spend a lifetime just going through the parts they have---just WOW---

The Pfaltz or Albatros or Bristol F.2B two seaters have such nice long noses that could house nose weight and canted motors. The top motor would emerge from the rear gunner’s position, surrounded by the gun mount ring with the parabellum or Lewis on the back side of the motor. Would it look good enough? Two (or three) 18mm D21-4s in a BT 60? Crazy hot ejection charges baby! And would the kids these days appreciate all those lozenge decals?

The DR 1 I have in mind is even more insane. The rotary motor is made out of small bolts epoxied to a nut, lots of heavy metal up front for nose weight - the acorn nut has worked well on the Nakajima B6N, but all that metal up front with the prop in place just may finally destroy my argument that small rockets are not dangerous and I will have to wait for a SDRS launch. The cowling could be easily shaped from steel epoxy clay. It would look like the "hot rod" DR1 plastic model from the early 70's that I built as a kid. Manfred or Werner would be up front with their pickelhaube and the motor's flame would come out their back, more than a little irony there in Manfred's case. The bottom motor would be under a stylized bomb in the spirit of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. With a Flying Circus paint job the old fellers might be so amused I can sneak out and fly it before the laughter stops. A really cool idea would be to drag race it with a Sopwith Camel made the same way but flown by Snoopy.

Last edited:
Super pictures Bill, I keep going through them over and over ,I love that stuff !!

The airshow i was at last june had a Fokker Dr.1 (some kind of kit I assume) and a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter doing dogfights ,very cool .

They also had an F-86 doing a demo ,first time I ever saw one fly ,very nice little jet and a real screamer.Too bad they didn`t have a Mig 15 flying for a little "Mig Alley" action.

Cheers

Paul T

Here is a better pic of them together----View attachment 129954View attachment 129955

I can imagine if the canopy just slid all the way off you could cant a rocket motor through the cockpit, and the P-40 did carry bombs for the bottom cant. Then there is always the best war bird paint job off all time on the P-40. The build would be a tad difficult but hey, it is a P-40. A nice big chrome acorn nut from the hardware store would make a great spinner. The P-51 has a lovely intake on the bottom for a canted motor and the P51A/B has a workable canopy for a cant. The bubble canopy on the D model would be harder to execute because the clear plastic would have to be molded just right to look good. But once you figure it out you could have a P-47 N, TA 152 H, or a really awesome four rocket motor Me 262 in the air.

I would wager a bet that the B-17 and it`s varients is probably the most famous warplane(WWII) ,at least in the bomber role ,if not them all.

How many kids didn`t have a Monogram or Revell plastic model of the B-17 hanging from their bedroom ceiling......I did :cheers:

Paul T

I am working on a Guillow's B-17 for a client whose dad was a bombardier on an "F" model. I am plating it in aluminum beer and pop cans; trying to do similar to the authentic aluminum panels, with rivets (pin heads). No camouflage on this one, just polished aluminum. We will then hang it from the ceiling in his office. Should be nice with that big wing span.

I am working on a Guillow's B-17 for a client whose dad was a bombardier on an "F" model. I am plating it in aluminum beer and pop cans; trying to do similar to the authentic aluminum panels, with rivets (pin heads). No camouflage on this one, just polished aluminum. We will then hang it from the ceiling in his office. Should be nice with that big wing span.

I would love to see pictures of the finished plane when done.

Nothing looks sharper than a 17 in bare aluminum finish with nose art and bright colorful flashes on the tail and wing tips.

Paul T

F-105 wild weasel...I always liked the F-105...just a nasty looking plane....cool stuff!

I love the 105's as well! I have two publicity pics of them in formation sporting the Thunderbirds paint job. They only did 6 shows with them.

I love the 105's as well! I have two publicity pics of them in formation sporting the Thunderbirds paint job. They only did 6 shows with them.

How`s this for a "nasty" F-105 :blush:

***** censor alert *******

......makes refueling a lot easier LOL

Paul T

php5WY2FEPM.jpg

phpzhbLf2PM.jpg

I noticed one of these F-104's sitting on the tarmac at our local airport late last week. I heard a local fella owns and flies it as well as some WWII fighters (I have seen a Spitfire and Yak there at various times). If it's still there this evening, I'll stop and take a pic.

800px-Lockheed_F-104A-10-LO_060928-F-1234S-011.jpg

The museums 109 and HE 111/CASA 2.111 have RR Merlins in them, and they alter the look of the German A/C. The main problem with Daimler-Benz engines is the lack of them and parts, seeing how we blasted the factories during WWII
The Germans licensed the 109 to the Spanish, but what with shortages and all they were built with Hispano Suiza V12's and I believe the the one in the photo looks alot like them. I always thought the 109 was a good looking aircraft and have built more models of them than any other plane. Here's a photo of the Spanish version. That motor kinda ruins the look.

messerschmitt-me-109-buchon.jpg

The Germans licensed the 109 to the Spanish, but what with shortages and all they were built with Hispano Suiza V12's and I believe the the one in the photo looks alot like them. I always thought the 109 was a good looking aircraft and have built more models of them than any other plane. Here's a photo of the Spanish version. That motor kinda ruins the look.

Yes it does ruin the look of the aircraft, the museum where Hornet Driver went to, their 109 & Heinkel have Rolls Royce Merlins. They have a 104, that was being restored to fly before the museum purchased it. The rumor was that the previous owner found out that the FAA would not give him an LOA (letter of Authorization) to fly the 104. From what I have heard, the FAA will only allow ex fighter jocks to fly the 104.

Back