Tripoli Las Vegas Springfest 2014 Who's coming?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So anybody interested in a 7.5" deer green max.... back in kit form?

Report to follow on the way home. Weather was incredible today. Thanks Tripoli Vegas for anther awesome launch..

It will forever be known as schreadfest.

Sunday dawned beautiful with 3mph winds...so everyone reached for the big guns to launch with. I think the total was 7 or 8 shreds. BUT, the prize for the most spectacular shred definitely goes to Mark H. with his Der Green Max...beautiful rocket, and it shredded like it exploded. Not sure what the largest piece was that fluttered down in the rain of parts, but it could not have been too big.

And, for the worst luck/performance, I take the prime prize. Missed the L3 cert, blew up my Competitor 3 from an over-pressured KBA K1750 and toasted my Darkstar 2.1" with a ballistic recovery. On the plus side, my Daughter Lauren earned her NAR Jr. Level 1 via her Wildman Vindicator on a Aerotech I211W to 3200', and my first EX motor attempt went very well with a 6-grain 38mm KNSB motor that came out as a I400.

Cannot wait for Oktoberfest...

Man, that reminds me of Turkey Shoot several years ago... among others, I remember Vince shredded his Hawk on a red M motor, Gordon shredded his 5.5" glow in the dark rocket on a blue M, and there was a massive V2 that plowed in so hard it fit in a 5 gallon bucket afterward. Tripoli Vegas gave out a "bucket recovery" trophy that year... not sure if it's still a thing or not, but sounds like there were some impressive contenders this year.

Sorry to hear about the carnage. But hey, if it was easy, we wouldn't get paid the big bucks to do it!

We had a great static test Friday of our 4-grain Double D 89 mm sugar motor for the Sugar Shot to Space project. I just finished dissecting the motor and everything is reusable...even the liner!

Rick Maschek
mach diamonds.jpg

So anybody interested in a 7.5" deer green max.... back in kit form?

Report to follow on the way home. Weather was incredible today. Thanks Tripoli Vegas for anther awesome launch..

Kenny sent me a pre-disassembly pic if you need a copy! I wuz with you in spirit, bro'. Maybe you need to incorporate some Kevlar into those wraps, eh? A wise man once told me: "It is better to have shredded your rocket than your cereal"

Glad to hear the static test went well, Rick.

Not all rockets shredded...here's the video to prove it. My half scale Aerobee on the color-changing M motor. Went to 8900 ft. [video]https://s189.photobucket.com/user/derekjamieson/media/IMG_0329_zps78c19618.mp4.html[/video]

All in all it was an AWSEOME launch friday and saturday was a blow out.. but it was nice having time to prep things and have them all ready to go!

Mark tell Lauren we said WELL DONE! better luck to you next try! (remember your decals are covered if you need to do any repairs LOL) although it was built like a rock so I am sure they are fine!

Saturday night the wind calmed down and we needed to burn some AP so we talke Bryce into letting us strap LEDS to kis 12" Squat and we stuffed a AIRobert M2300 in it and let it rip! nothing like an M motor at night! AWESOME FLIGHT! I have never seen a dozen people move so fast to get a rocket in the air!! it was kind of "theres nothing that says we cant do this... lets do it" and it happened.

sunday morning first thing I put the Mercury redstone up on another AIRobert "N3300" PERFECT FLIGHT NOT A SCRATCH!

project after project when screaming into the perfect air all day.. some went awesome others not so well but it was still a blast!

Then I put the Der green max up on a CTI M1790 skid... it took off like a bullet. right about MaxQ it appears the Nose cone failed. (it slit into tow halfs..) I have never seen this happen on a Fiberglass nose cone.. but I am SURE that is what happened.. the cone was the first thing to come falling to the ground in two or three pieces. split right down the seam where it appears two halfs were put together..

there was NOTHING left I was able to salvage my aeropac retainer.. the motor and mt Teather.. other than that i was confetti! spreading debris for 100's of yards!

if anyone got any pictures of it I would love to see them!

thanks for another great launch.. great seeing everyone! Cant wait to do it again!

Just a quick comment about Der Shred - absolutely certain the nosecone failed and that's all she wrote. Motor kept the rest of the shredding body going and going.
Did Dave ever recover Miss America? They weren't back yet by the time Tim and I had to roll. Don't whine about four hours drive time - took me a little over 14 to get back. Awesome good time, again - can't wait to return for Oktoberfest.

Doooooooooood!!! You broke Der Green Max!?!

Semper... Freakin'... Fly... Mark!!! :headbang:

See Ya at Bong!

-S

oh its more than broke.... LOL I was able to save the Aeropac retainer... a few quick links and my Tether.. other than that complete loss... BUT IT WAS FRIGGIN AWESOME!

I used double 1/8 stainlees steel cable for my tether (dual deploy single hole) it snapped through that like butter. all the all thread was snapped or twisted beyond belief.. the fins all came off (g10 with aluminum honeycomb) one lost its leading edge (brass tube) and it bent the other two delaminated where they were glued in.. stripped all the circuits off the adept22 shattered my timer. and ripped a couple items off the RRC3 (that might be fixable... not sure)

All in all it was an AWSEOME launch friday and saturday was a blow out.. but it was nice having time to prep things and have them all ready to go!

Mark tell Lauren we said WELL DONE! better luck to you next try! (remember your decals are covered if you need to do any repairs LOL) although it was built like a rock so I am sure they are fine!

Saturday night the wind calmed down and we needed to burn some AP so we talke Bryce into letting us strap LEDS to kis 12" Squat and we stuffed a AIRobert M2300 in it and let it rip! nothing like an M motor at night! AWESOME FLIGHT! I have never seen a dozen people move so fast to get a rocket in the air!! it was kind of "theres nothing that says we cant do this... lets do it" and it happened.

sunday morning first thing I put the Mercury redstone up on another AIRobert "N3300" PERFECT FLIGHT NOT A SCRATCH!

project after project when screaming into the perfect air all day.. some went awesome others not so well but it was still a blast!

Then I put the Der green max up on a CTI M1790 skid... it took off like a bullet. right about MaxQ it appears the Nose cone failed. (it slit into tow halfs..) I have never seen this happen on a Fiberglass nose cone.. but I am SURE that is what happened.. the cone was the first thing to come falling to the ground in two or three pieces. split right down the seam where it appears two halfs were put together..

there was NOTHING left I was able to salvage my aeropac retainer.. the motor and mt Teather.. other than that i was confetti! spreading debris for 100's of yards!

if anyone got any pictures of it I would love to see them!

thanks for another great launch.. great seeing everyone! Cant wait to do it again!
hi mark! great meeting you in person this weekend!
i didn't know they had night launches... hm... will need to stick around after dark at oktoberfest...
bummer about the der green max... =( i have some pictures of it, but can't post them until after work.

Kenny sent me a pre-disassembly pic if you need a copy! I wuz with you in spirit, bro'. Maybe you need to incorporate some Kevlar into those wraps, eh? A wise man once told me: "It is better to have shredded your rocket than your cereal"

Dave I'd love a picture...

Missed you out there.. see you next time!

AZRT had a good weekend,

GM Lift Off.jpg
The Girly Man on a M2000R
Odd Rocs Rule

Baby Uuly Kosdon Fast.jpg
Baby Ugly on a Research Modified Kosdon Fast
1300' at 260 f.p.s. 21.2 g's caused by a .7 second burn

It was great to see all of our old friends and to meet more friends.

As always Tripoli Vegas put on a great launch.

See Everyone in October !!!

Well, after an unexpected 24 hour layover in Vegas, we finally got home. About 5 miles or so out of Primm the idler pulley on my van sheared off (looks like the bearing seized, cause when I removed the bolt, it just fell in pieces). Fortunately my dad lives in Vegas and he was able to pick us up and we had a place to stay. Be careful buying parts from O'reilly auto parts, they gave me the wrong belt, so 45 min back into Vegas and 45 min back out to Primm I got it running. A big shout out to my son Kole, he helped me out alot, thanks bud.

Anyway, first off, a BIG thank you to Mark and Marion and Chad and Debbie for their generosity. I never have to worry about food (or anything) for that matter when we get together. It was fun hanging out with your families. It was nice meeting Ken Rico, Caveduck, Bandman (Bryce) and a few others. Sorry, I'm terrible with names. I know Kole and I had a great time.

OK, on to rockets. I'll do my own personal flight report, but I do have some before and after pics of the Green Max.......

Before........green max.jpg

After.....DSC04179.JPG

Last edited:
Here's a start.

Marks 10" Mercury Redstone on a EX N3300. Flawless flight!

_A107299.JPG

I don't know who's this one is, but it had a great flight too. Jihad This

_A107306.JPG

Next up is Derek's (Deeroc) absolutely beautiful flight of a "Chameleon Motor" These pictures are from one flight.

Blue flame right?
N-mc9lIsrsMH2Aj2naVo7GKgq9ACrcNHmU0WeIdUZgA=w418-h629-no

_A107341.JPG

_A107342.JPG

Now it is White
_A107343.JPG

The rocket came back with a rather major 8-10" zipper and will need some repairing

Super cool Nike Smoke on a Blue

_A107361.JPG

Mark's Second flight (The happier photos at least)
hvr2fWIvCYEzbG9ubZSj2GWNCtH9wjr35-OZY4VwV20=w418-h629-no

_A107404.JPG

Next up is Dave's (Caveduck) maiden flight of his 5.5" V2. He couldn't decide on a motor, so Kenny and I chose him a nice K360 (CTI 3G White 1281Ns)

_A107506.JPG

Lastly my two day flights.

The first was a 3 grain 75mm Ex motor which was designed to be a Blue motor, but with a lot white smoke. I think it turned out well.

_A107494.JPG

XfHwjP6C_Wvwn75ggq8OB0YhoLEeK-Jl2cUglMjLyZI=w520-h629-no

Unfortunately we did blow the nozzle up at the end of the burn, kind of a cool picture.

_A107501.JPG

Last flight for me of weekend was an unexpected one. Because of the zipper in Derek's Green Aerobee he can't fly the 5 grain 98mm N that he was planning...So I was willing to take one for the team and fly it for him (what a nice guy right?) So I prepped the fat Squat rocket for its most powerful motor yet.

_A107520.JPG

kjzd5Vv052M20UoFreLsfwTpdgzy5vzOua5dYiaeads=w552-h629-no

The motor burn went very well...but that was all that went well. At motor burnout the nose separated and pulled the chute out at well above 400mph. Alas the chute stripped clean off and you can imagine the rest. The heavily weighed nosecone streamlined in and dragged the body straight into the ground. The nosecone is one of the most expensive parts and it lived completely undamaged along with the motor case. 120" parachute, Garmin Astro, RRC3, RRC2 Classic and the body section are totaled. :cry::cry::cry: Three scenarios for failure, Pressure separation (it was the biggest motor and fastest flight), Drag separation (Very heavy nosecone and fastest flight may have overcome the large frontal area) and lastly early ejection (Both charges were fired, but I doubt this caused the separation). Oh well...

10006572_10202701267286485_1950178728_o.jpg

One other flight to mention was on Saturday night. I won't forget this one, and I will be telling this story for a while.

Derek (the motor man) was planning on showing up Saturday afternoon so we can get my "Blue Lightning" flight on the night, so I prepped everything for the rocket so that when he got there he could hand me the motor, I put it in the rocket, and we walk to the flight line. However due to traffic he decided to just go straight to the hotel and come to the lakebed early in the morning. So I had a completely prepped rocket. Well that night while we were sitting around the fire someone asked why I didn't fly the rocket I had prepped. I said that it was because I didn't have a motor. Well... Robert (AiRobert) had an answer to that problem. A M1700 that he had whipped up and because of the wind Saturday Mark didn't fly it. Well everyone agreed that I needed to man up and fly the M1700. Right now! Like, at night. And that if I was really serious about having the rocket ready to go, I would do it. Everyone around agreed and Mark went to ask the club President what the Night waiver would take, "Anything under 7,000ft till 10pm" and that was all we needed to hear and everyone started grabbing every light source they could find, including Mark who took off the LED strips off his night flight RC airplane and we got it decked out in about 30 minutes! And we did it! And got it back! 3,800ft of pure awesome. But others can contest that I was extremely nervous for this flight, perhaps more than any flight previous (Project60k might be the only one). I have never seen a M motor at night and probably won't for a while. But it was incredible! INCREDIBLE!

I want to thank Mark and Marian, all of the Perry's, Kenny and Dave, Tim, Robert, Roy, Derek, and anyone else who was out there I am forgetting. This was my first launch with Tripoli Vegas and I know I will be coming back in the future! I have more pictures that I will upload later.

Thanks

I don't know who's this one is, but it had a great flight too. Jihad This

_A107306.JPG

_A107501.JPG

"Jihad This" is Mark Rose's Darkstar Extreme. I thought it was his L3 flight.

Sorry to hear about the carnage on your
5 grain 98mm N flight. Too bad the altimeters didn't survive, it would have been great to see the data.
That second shot is awesome! Did you have that big lens on the Nikon I remember from ROCstock?

AWESOME SHOTS Bryce! and YES the M night flight was one of the Highlights of the weekend..

you tell a bunch of bored rocketeers "Hey we can fly an "M" at night if we do xxxxxx " I have never seen a dozen people move so fast in my life!

Oh and that shot with the "starburst" when the motor changed colors... AWESOME!

Last edited:
nice lookin rocket :headbang:

Heh !

Hey Oddmanrockets Val... the first thing asked when I said I was from San Diego was ' Did I build the upscale Andromeda ?'

Told him that you had done the rocket & Stickershock Mark had done the decals and it flew as good as it looked.

Kenny

Last edited:
AWESOME SHOTS Bryce! and YES the M night flight was one of the Highlights of the weekend..

you tell a bunch of bored rocketeers "Hey we can fly an "M" at night if we do xxxxxx " I have never seen a dozen people move so fast in my life!

Oh and that shot with the "starburst" when the motor changed colors... AWESOME!

Yep, what Mark said.

Sorry to hear about the carnage on your
5 grain 98mm N flight. Too bad the altimeters didn't survive, it would have been great to see the data.
That second shot is awesome! Did you have that big lens on the Nikon I remember from ROCstock?

Yep same rig. I am in no way a master photographer and this time out I messed up on the White Balance setting and ended up at -4.3 below and dark pictures for everything. I wanted to under expose the shots to capture more of the motor details (Ala David Reese) but did it the wrong way. (Should have lowered the exposure and ISO)

But when you borrow the camera and day before and return it the day after you don't get to pick the equipment. I have a great neighbor who lets me borrow his backup to the backup equipment for his aircraft photography hobby. So every photo has small blemishes, but much better than I can do with any personal equipment.

Did I mention everything is manual focus? And I had to be careful that the lens doesn't spaz out and run at F0, which it did.

One of the hardest skills (particularly with a 300-500mm lens) is keeping the rocket in view. And I have a good idea when they read the weight, motor, and size, how fast the rocket will be going and accelerating. That way when the guy next to me says "I bet you $5 you can't get a picture of a minimum carbon fiber rocket on a K2045 Vmax that is on pad 5" I swing over and they launch it and I get the perfect shot. That is a learned skill from being around rockets for a couple years. My neighbor came out to a launch and with nicer equipment had a very hard time shooting the rockets. They were faster than the planes he had been taking pictures of normally.

Anyway. Thank you the nice comments on the pictures and they will get better with time I hope.

As I have more photos, I know I have some of Kenny's that aren't here, but they will be posted soon.

Nice stuff Bryce...sorry about the Squat mayhem. I must say it was a great event even if Friday and Saturday weren't really flyable - Sunday made up for it all. It was great meeting some people I only knew from TRF, the site is fantastic, easy access from SD (just get on I-15 and drive), relaxed karma, motor vendors (thanks Bill and Joe!!)...it doesn't get any better. I've got a few photos and short vids, will post a couple if they clean up OK.

Yup, that's me. Forgetting to attach critical elements of the rocket *might* have made that cert flight a good one, but I did not. Lesson learned: despite a checklist, well meaning people asking you if you've attached this to that...forcing your conscience to rip everything apart and back together isn't conducive to a problem free flight. No damage, even though the main chute that popped free at 800'...it will fly again!

As my on-site TAP put it, the GOOD NEWS is that I get to fly another M flight. This DSE went over 13.2k' and just over Mach on the M1297W--awesome combo, IMHO.

On another note, this was *the worst* launch I've ever had in terms of success/failure: 2 CATOs (neither our fault; one CTI cover by warranty, the other KBA and NOT covered in any way), one failed cert and three rockets damaged or gone for good. As CJ puts it, I am not about to get into model railroads, but D@MN that was painful.

Last edited:
Yup, that's me. Forgetting to attach critical elements of the rocket *might* have made that cert flight a good one, but I did not. Lesson learned: despite a checklist, well meaning people asking you if you've attached this to that...forcing your conscience to rip everything apart and back together isn't conducive to a problem free flight. No damage, even though the main chute that popped free at 800'...it will fly again!

As my on-site TAP put it, the GOOD NEWS is that I get to fly another M flight. This DSE went over 13.2k' and just over Mach on the M1297W--awesome combo, IMHO.

On another note, this was *the worst* launch I've ever had in terms of success/failure: 2 CATOs (neither our fault; one CTI cover by warranty, the other KBA and NOT covered in any way), one failed cert and three rockets damaged or gone for good. As CJ puts it, I am not about to get into model railroads, but D@MN that was painful.

I feel you Pain Mark but I too would not have missed it for the world!

Never heard what happened on the LIII attempt? missing quick link? If so it's happened to the best of us!! (yes I've done it too)

Yea, sorry man. But Congrats to your daughter for getting her Jr. L1. :clap:

Back