Springfest Las Vegas, NV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Five

Reaction score
As a resident of Las Vegas, Springfest is on my calendar. I attended October fest where I achieved my level one. Spring fest is where I’ll attempt my level two.
I love these regional launches because of all the venders who attend. You don’t have to pay any hazmat fee on motors. I spent $300 last time and probably going to double that at October fest The best of all is, I can drive out there and leave whenever I want and be home in 30 minutes.

....Anyone else attending? Are you NAR or Tripoli? What level are you?

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be there. I'm both NAR & TRA. Level one. I drive a Maroon Explorer with a scooter lift. Usually park on the north end of the flight line. If you don't mind the drive Balsa Machining is in Pahrump. If you pick up your motors there is no Hazmat fee.

Five

Reaction score
Oh really. Thats good to know. I might have to look into that the next time I buy motors.

DMC12

Reaction score
I was planning on going out to Springfest this year. Does anyone know what vendors will be there with high power motors? Thanks!

Five

Reaction score
something odd with the website. My computer tells me it isn't secure. As in not private. Worked before.
Hmmm. Im seeing the same thing. Wonder why?

Patternflyer

Reaction score
I’ll be attending. Will be attempting my Level 1 Cert. with my new Zephyr. Hope to see y’all there!

Rocketjoe13

Certified L2
Reaction score
Yes, we're rolling out. Bringing the little green trailer loaded with 29mm thru 54mm motors and misc. supplies. Want something larger? Check our website for in stock inventory.

Astronaut Chesseball

Reaction score
As a resident of Las Vegas, Springfest is on my calendar. I attended October fest where I achieved my level one. Spring fest is where I’ll attempt my level two.
I love these regional launches because of all the venders who attend. You don’t have to pay any hazmat fee on motors. I spent $300 last time and probably going to double that at October fest The best of all is, I can drive out there and leave whenever I want and be home in 30 minutes.

....Anyone else attending? Are you NAR or Tripoli? What level are you?
For someone looking to attend for a L1 certification flight do you have to be a NAR or Tripoli member? Also is there a specific time schedule set for L1 certifications flights through out the day? Not sure what to expect as a first timer. Thanks!

Ian A Dalton

Reaction score
For someone looking to attend for a L1 certification flight do you have to be a NAR or Tripoli member? Also is there a specific time schedule set for L1 certifications flights through out the day? Not sure what to expect as a first timer. Thanks!
We are a Tripoli Prefect so a TRA membership in good standing is required. If you need to go through NAR, that is fine but we will need to know ahead of time to make sure someone is there for you.

Getting your L1 is absurdly straight forward. Build your rocket and make it strong. Don't over complicate it. Low and slow is the recipe for the most success. On launch day you will go to the RSO (Gordon) with your rocket prepped and ready to fly. He will inspect it so mark your CP and CG point on the rocket so he can see it. After that, you will put it on the pad for launch. If your rocket comes down in one piece and follows a normal flight profile, you get your L1. If not, it sucks but no worries, you can try again next month.

You can do this any time during the launch as there is no special time for certs. Any time is fine. The only caveat is if your rocket will fly above 4,400' AGL. If that is the case, let Gordon know and we will open up a flight waiver for you.

When you are there, you can ask anyone for help on anything. I will be there set up in front of a blue F-150 and I am willing to help you in any way possible.

Astronaut Chesseball

Reaction score
We are a Tripoli Prefect so a TRA membership in good standing is required. If you need to go through NAR, that is fine but we will need to know ahead of time to make sure someone is there for you.

Getting your L1 is absurdly straight forward. Build your rocket and make it strong. Don't over complicate it. Low and slow is the recipe for the most success. On launch day you will go to the RSO (Gordon) with your rocket prepped and ready to fly. He will inspect it so mark your CP and CG point on the rocket so he can see it. After that, you will put it on the pad for launch. If your rocket comes down in one piece and follows a normal flight profile, you get your L1. If not, it sucks but no worries, you can try again next month.

You can do this any time during the launch as there is no special time for certs. Any time is fine. The only caveat is if your rocket will fly above 4,400' AGL. If that is the case, let Gordon know and we will open up a flight waiver for you.

When you are there, you can ask anyone for help on anything. I will be there set up in front of a blue F-150 and I am willing to help you in any way possible.
Thank you Ian really appreciate your response exactly what I was looking for! 👍

Five

Reaction score
Yes, we're rolling out. Bringing the little green trailer loaded with 29mm thru 54mm motors and misc. supplies. Want something larger? Check our website for in stock inventory.
At last years October fest, I dropped $300. I plan to spend more this time. Ill be there around noon on Friday. See you there.

Attachments

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since we have been blown out the last two months I've still got the motors I had intended to fly. But you can't have to many motors. I sure hope the weather/wind is good to us.

Devin Batten

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Im planning on attending and hopefully going for my L2. Going short and stubby.

Five

Reaction score
Im planning on attending and hopefully going for my L2. Going short and stubby.
As far as the written exam goes. Do you have to bring a copy of the exam or do you have to notify someone ahead of time to bring you a copy of it?

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As far as the written exam goes. Do you have to bring a copy of the exam or do you have to notify someone ahead of time to bring you a copy of it?
The Prefect should have the tests already. There is contact info on the website if you want to let him know.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I guarantee you that there will be at least one NAR member there that can write off your L1... since I'm a NAR L3 and I'm going.

Rocketjoe13

Certified L2
Reaction score
With all the snow we got here in Colorado - I can't wait to get warm! Rolling on Thursday - see you Friday. Last call for pulling orders from our web inventory - http://www.moto-joe.com/

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It snowed here in Pahrump last night. Big fluffy flakes. No accumulation in the valley. The mountains look great. I sure hope the forecast for this weekends wind speed changes.

Five

Reaction score
With all the snow we got here in Colorado - I can't wait to get warm! Rolling on Thursday - see you Friday. Last call for pulling orders from our web inventory - http://www.moto-joe.com/
Im going to buy a few motors. If I attempt and pass my L2 I’ll buy some J’s and K’s(single use). If I don’t pass I’m going to have to settle for some I’s, single use (I350R, I250DM) at least three of each,

Five

Reaction score

teepot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Your camera is a lot better than mine or my binoculars. We couldn't get that much detail of the photo shoot.

justforfun

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I were able to attend the launch on Friday. Would have stayed longer, but. We tried dry camping for the first time and had issues with the power system of our camper and had to leave.

I did manage to get my Level 1 flight completed and took the Level 2 written.

I'd like to think everyone that worked to make it a great launch and help me as needed. Wish I were better with names.

Some great people in this great hobby.

Thanks again

RoyDSC_0606 Large.jpg

rklapp

NAR# 109557
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I broke a couple fins on my rocket but the rocket was able to land standing straight up right. That’s something Space X hasn’t even mastered yet. : }
That's not too bad for a HP non-TTW fin.