The 'TRF Traveling Box 'o Parts' thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the virus no longer survive on surfaces? I'm seeing an awful lot of the people most vocal about protections during this virus jumping at the chance to mail a box of handled items around the country from home to home.

A Mach 1 fiberglass LPR is a very good choice for something like this.

I believe TRF had one of these touring rockets in the past; eventually it either got lost or someone just failed to forward it, I can't remember. I recall hearing about it 3,4,5 years ago, something like that, although I could be hallucinating.

who’s got a contract at MC or M1?
lol
And who builds it?

who’s got a contract at MC or M1?
lol
And who builds it?

Needs to be a lightweight, high drag low flyer so folks could fly it for low cost and it would be easier to find a launch site. Maybe the good folks at Mach1 could do a one-off custom job. Or maybe a limited run.

A few that come to mind:
Estes Star Hopper, Estes Mars Leaper
Madcow Mini fiberglass Cowabunga or Squat.
We could 3d print something, if a piece breaks it would be easy to replace.

The Leaper is a good idea. Something saucer-ish (e.g. Quinstar) also works, virtually guaranteed recovery. Also relatively easy to pack, although perhaps a bit on the delicate side.

The Leaper is a good idea. Something saucer-ish (e.g. Quinstar) also works, virtually guaranteed recovery. Also relatively easy to pack, although perhaps a bit on the delicate side.

maybe a loc cool spool? Cheap plastic not something everyone sees every day? Paint it a bright color have everyone sharpie their name and state on it?

1) I think it should be not just in the low power regime, but in very low power (VLPR). Something that flies safely on an A8 or ½A6, or 13 mm engines. (I'd even say MicroMax, but not everyone is equipped for those.) That clearly makes for more assured recovery and more suitable fields.

2) Everyone should please take video of our launches of the traveling rocket and post it here.

1) I think it should be not just in the low power regime, but in very low power (VLPR). Something that flies safely on an A8 or ½A6, or 13 mm engines. (I'd even say MicroMax, but not everyone is equipped for those.) That clearly makes for more assured recovery and more suitable fields.

2) Everyone should please take video of our launches of the traveling rocket and post it here.

mid you get really small it gets hard to find that way, I thought baby Bertha on b6-4. The traveler will be plenty of work for me I think if it goes smoothly I be happy to work with you on it. I’ll buy it u build it and fly it first?

The Baby Bertha fits the bill for me just about perfectly. A8-3 is one of Estes's recommended engines, and their listed projected max altitude is 575 feet on a C6-5. Roughly estimating the math says that on an A8 it should reach not much more than 50 feet. Maybe I'm way off and it's 100 feet. Just fine for easy visual tracking and for flight on a small field.

The Baby Bertha fits the bill for me just about perfectly. A8-3 is one of Estes's recommended engines, and their listed projected max altitude is 575 feet on a C6-5. Roughly estimating the math says that on an A8 it should reach not much more than 50 feet. Maybe I'm way off and it's 100 feet. Just fine for easy visual tracking and for flight on a small field.
I’m sending you a pm

The Baby Bertha on an A8 doesn't go high at all, I'd say your 50' estimate is about right, same for the Big Bertha on a B6. I was just thinking aboit the durability of the balsa fins and paper airframe is why I didn't mention paper/wood kits.

The Baby Bertha on an A8 doesn't go high at all, I'd say your 50' estimate is about right, same for the Big Bertha on a B6. I was just thinking aboit the durability of the balsa fins and paper airframe is why I didn't mention paper/wood kits.

This is the PM i sent to @jqavins :

What if we don’t do a rocket instead do a small item that can clip to a shock cord? It could fly in anything, we track city state and altitude? Maybe start it Jan 1st with a goal of 100,000 feet or x number of flights?

And I said sure, "whatever" is good by me, I just don't want it to get lost. And Mikey, I did neglect to consider the "not get broken" aspect which favors fiberglass over balsa and paper, if it's a rocket at all. So with that added weight and the need for more thrust, let me modify my "should fly well on an A" to it should fly well on something that doesn't take whatever it is past, say, 100 feet. (And if folks with bigger fields want to fly bigger motors to greater heights, great.) If it's a rocket.

You may want to make the traveling parts box, and the traveling rocket separate things. Especially since the vision for the he parts box is to move quickly. Our experience with traveling rockets us that they are anything but quick.

Last edited:
I might get yelled at by the Mrs. for this....

I'll take a look at the Mach 1 website, and see if they offer a stubby. If not and IIRC, Madcow's Lil' Goblin is a FG kit. Me thinks that would fit the bill. This will be on my dime.

Maybe for fun: I'll fly it naked. Next flyer can paint the base coat. And so on, and so on...

I'll take a look at the Mach 1 website, and see if they offer a stubby. If not and IIRC, Madcow's Lil' Goblin is a FG kit. Me thinks that would fit the bill. This will be on my dime.
The Lil' Goblin is a mid-powered rocket. I thought the idea was for something low-powered. The Mini Cowabunga and Mini Squat come closer, but they're still 24mm.

It's hard to find a suitable commercial kit for this purpose. Closest I see in fiberglass is the Mach1 BT50 Patriot.

Or, something like the Estes Chiller would work. Plastic fins, should be durable, probably 250' on a B motor. 19.4", not *too* hard to pack, especially if you take off the nose cone. You could even take off the fins for shipping (they just snap in), although I don't know how many times they could be swapped on and off before they start to suffer.

Hey, you wanna do something really spiffy? Custom-cut some foam for the shipping box, which will travel with the rocket and keep it safe. That'll eliminate the need for the shipper to "reinvent" the packaging each time.

You may want to make the traveling parts box, and the traveling rocket separate things. Especially since the vision for the he parts box is to move quickly. Our experience with traveling rockets us that they are anything but quick.
+1, these are great ideas that should maybe stay plural.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I said sure, "whatever" is good by me, I just don't want it to get lost. And Mikey, I did neglect to consider the "not get broken" aspect which favors fiberglass over balsa and paper, if it's a rocket at all. So with that added weight and the need for more thrust, let me modify my "should fly well on an A" to it should fly well on something that doesn't take whatever it is past, say, 100 feet. (And if folks with bigger fields want to fly bigger motors to greater heights, great.) If it's a rocket.

Are you heading this one up?
I am tempted to start a travel map online somehow so everyone can see where the traveler has been, Id be happy to include the rocket also.

I was part of that on FG years ago (I started FG with Max and several others - same screen name). One was going on FG and one on RCG. Cant remember who did it first. By the time it got to me it was pretty banged up... but flew. It would be cool to do it with a rocket.
I thought I recognized your screen name. I have spent many hours on fg.

This is the PM i sent to @jqavins :

What if we don’t do a rocket instead do a small item that can clip to a shock cord? It could fly in anything, we track city state and altitude? Maybe start it Jan 1st with a goal of 100,000 feet or x number of flights?

Now I'm thinking more about it, a small item riding in a rocket may be interesting. And less prone to CATOs, shreds and other means of rapid and violent disassembly. It could fly on a Baby Bertha and ride to 60' or I can strap in Mega Magg atop a K805G.
My daughter and I made some small voodoo dolls from embroidery yarn (though they aren't glamorous), might be a possibility and I do have a file to print a Kerbal.

But I think a rocket or saucer may be more fitting. Either way I'll join in.

A custom fitted box would be ideal as well.

The Lil' Goblin is a mid-powered rocket. I thought the idea was for something low-powered. The Mini Cowabunga and Mini Squat come closer, but they're still 24mm.

It's hard to find a suitable commercial kit for this purpose. Closest I see in fiberglass is the Mach1 BT50 Patriot.

Or, something like the Estes Chiller would work. Plastic fins, should be durable, probably 250' on a B motor. 19.4", not *too* hard to pack, especially if you take off the nose cone. You could even take off the fins for shipping (they just snap in), although I don't know how many times they could be swapped on and off before they start to suffer.

Hey, you wanna do something really spiffy? Custom-cut some foam for the shipping box, which will travel with the rocket and keep it safe. That'll eliminate the need for the shipper to "reinvent" the packaging each time.
Well.....
First, I was wrong about the Goblin. It's a cardboard airframe.
Anyhoot MC makes the Mini Squat & Mini Cowabunga, both of which are FG kits. I did a quick workup of the Mini Cowabunga in OR on a D12-3, OR predicts apogee at 351 ft. which keeps it in LPR territory.

But, if most here would rather fly on C's, maybe a Blubbo (Link) would fill those shoes? Although, the Blubbo is not a FG kit.

Well.....
First, I was wrong about the Goblin. It's a cardboard airframe.
Anyhoot MC makes the Mini Squat & Mini Cowabunga, both of which are FG kits. I did a quick workup of the Mini Cowabunga in OR on a D12-3, OR predicts apogee at 351 ft. which keeps it in LPR territory.

But, if most here would rather fly on C's, maybe a Blubbo (Link) would fill those shoes? Although, the Blubbo is not a FG kit.

Blobbo sure looks cool, and I love short stubbies. But back to the durability issue of paper/wood. I do like the Cowabunga and Squat (I mentioned them earlier 😉) also. Madcow does make a fiberglass Lil Goblin as well.

Mach1 has the Tycho II BT50 that flies on 18mm, and the Spektor which is 38mm and flies on 24mm. Big fins should make it more draggy.

Blobbo sure looks cool, and I love short stubbies. But back to the durability issue of paper/wood. I do like the Cowabunga and Squat (I mentioned them earlier 😉) also. Madcow does make a fiberglass Lil Goblin as well.

Mach1 has the Tycho II BT50 that flies on 18mm, and the Spektor which is 38mm and flies on 24mm. Big fins should make it more draggy.
Yep, +1 on the Spektor. The FG Lil' Goblin currently isn't listed on their website. :(

Anyhoot, nothing is written in stone so I'll wait to see what everyone else on this thread has to say.

Back