The 'TRF Traveling Box 'o Parts' thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, +1 on the Spektor. The FG Lil' Goblin currently isn't listed on their website. :(

Anyhoot, nothing is written in stone so I'll wait to see what everyone else on this thread has to say.

Well if cardboard becomes an option I am a loc dealer so at cost ect would be an option.

I think I have a Baby Bertha kit laying around i could throw together and stuff in a box. I think my kids put around 100 flights on the last one before i hung it in a tree. Wore out a couple parachutes! It would be easy to pack in a small box and ship pretty cheap, i think. Its a little cold here to paint right now so I may have to fly it and send it off “naked.”

Should someone start a new thread to hash out the ideas/plan to not hijack the traveler thread?

Are you heading this one up?
Heck no! It looks like Tabor or TimothyG would be doing that. And in the last few posts some others have made offers. If necessary I suppose I could, but I'd rather not. Because I have a record of letting people down on organizational and leadership tasks.
I am tempted to start a travel map online somehow so everyone can see where the traveler has been, Id be happy to include the rocket also.
That sounds cool. And/or, a printed map could go with the rocket. Marks can be made on paper using an old fashioned device called a"pen".

But, if most here would rather fly on C's, maybe a Blubbo (Link) would fill those shoes? Although, the Blubbo is not a FG kit.
For myself, I'm no longer saying "can fly on a A", but am still saying "can fly safely on something that keeps it very low." That was the intention of my original A engine request, but could just as well be a 29 mm meant for E and F, but is safe with an adapter and a D. I will likely have only a very small field, and I can't be the only one.

Talked with Composite Warehouse this morning.
They would be willing to supply an appropriate kit at no charge.
It does not have to be one of their current kits. Just something that they could cut or bash to our spec.
Probably should be thin wall FG.
It could take a couple of weeks because of his orders from Black Friday that he is shipping.

Talked with Composite Warehouse this morning.
They would be willing to supply an appropriate kit at no charge.
It does not have to be one of their current kits. Just something that they could cut or bash to our spec.
Probably should be thin wall FG.
It could take a couple of weeks because of his orders from Black Friday that he is shipping.

Mouse 38 probably fits the bill, right size and correct motor range.

I checked my inventory today.
I have a 38mm CF that you could drive a truck over.
The nose cone is a factory item that is easy to replaced.
I would be willing to donate and include an Eggtimer altimeter.
Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 9.44.09 AM.pngE3281E3E-6404-4475-A80D-BE7CF5D86545.jpegC10C843C-1E63-4AA5-B2CE-02D3ABE1728F.jpegD955FC77-1621-4ABA-B906-33824D4CD911.jpeg599AACEE-D171-4850-8EA9-8F80D63F5C16.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe for fun: I'll fly it naked. Next flyer can paint the base coat. And so on, and so on...

Leave it naked, and let each person / club put a sticker on it!
(like luggage of old, or the classic Bugs Bunny tossing a baseball around the plant & it coming back with 'destination' stickers all over it! :D )

I checked my inventory today.
I have a 38mm CF that you could drive a truck over.
The nose cone is a factory item that is easy to replaced.
I would be willing to donate and include an Eggtimer altimeter.
View attachment 441693View attachment 441697View attachment 441694View attachment 441695View attachment 441696

Shipping cost on a 37in might be pricey maybe you could pack it up and get a quote to ship it to where ever and then we all can evaluate. I’d say anything over 12-15 dollars is high but that’s me.

Talked with Composite Warehouse this morning. They would be willing to supply an appropriate kit at no charge. It does not have to be one of their current kits. Just something that they could cut or bash to our spec.
I love the idea of it being a one-off kit for a this. A unique rocket for a (more or less) unique undertaking. Nothing fancy, just so it's not an off the shelf item.

Leave it naked, and let each person / club put a sticker on it!
And I love that too. I was already thinking similarly, that it might be primed only, letting different flyers sign it.

Shipping cost on a 37in might be pricey maybe you could pack it up and get a quote to ship it to where ever and then we all can evaluate. I’d say anything over 12-15 dollars is high but that’s me.
Invert the nose cone and it fits in under 36"

Regular Priority from Fl to Wisconsin is $11.75

Also, we may want to cut this to a shorter length. We could easily make it as short as the CW Mouse 38.
Shipping will probably not decrease that much.

It currently is MD but I could easily glue in a 29mm mount with a retailer ring.

BONUS I forgot, it also has a piston.
41359F68-36E2-40FD-B646-CB6952250E4A.jpeg

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 11.30.49 AM.png

Invert the nose cone and it fits in under 36"

Regular Priority from Fl to Wisconsin is $11.75

Also, we may want to cut this to a shorter length. We could easily make it as short as the CW Mouse 38.
Shipping will probably not decrease that much.

It currently is MD but I could easily glue in a 29mm mount with a retailer ring.

BONUS I forgot, it also has a piston.

View attachment 441705

We still haven’t had anyone come forward to head up the process. I’m thinking the traveler isn’t going to be nearly as much work as I thought. So I could do the rocket if no one else “wants” to.

LOL!!

I would also recommend that some dedicated packing be made, so that the same box & packing can be used & reused; not rely on bubble paper or peanuts or .. crumpled paper. That is goes in & comes out of the box the same way each & every time..

I will add, that pistons can be finicky; crud from ejections & temp differences / cycling (based on my experience with PML's piston on my 2" AMRAAM)

AND, record the alts on a fin, in case the altimeter gets lost, reset, corrupted, etc.. Record date, alt, & motor used (And initial it!)

LOL!!

I would also recommend that some dedicated packing be made, so that the same box & packing can be used & reused; not rely on bubble paper or peanuts or .. crumpled paper. That is goes in & comes out of the box the same way each & every time..

I will add, that pistons can be finicky; crud from ejections & temp differences / cycling (based on my experience with PML's piston on my 2" AMRAAM)

AND, record the alts on a fin, in case the altimeter gets lost, reset, corrupted, etc.. Record date, alt, & motor used (And initial it!)
Agree, scratch the piston.

Is there an RS/OR file for this rocket, or for whatever rocket we end up using. (OK, if we don't know what rocket we'll end up using then the second part of that was a dumb question.) I'd like to sim it on various motor candidates.

Is there an RS/OR file for this rocket, or for whatever rocket we end up using. (OK, if we don't know what rocket we'll end up using then the second part of that was a dumb question.) I'd like to sim it on various motor candidates.
There is but the weights and length need to be refined. I'll work on it

This should be pretty close. Based on an overall length of 31". I had to add mass at the rear to compensate for the heavy tip to tip layup.

Attachments

• trf38.rkt
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
I did some sims based on a total length of 36" which fits in the free mailer.

Bottom end AT SU F motors keep it under 1000'

What's the weight on it? Will it fly on something smaller like the E20? 1k would be pushing it at my local fields.

I did some sims based on a total length of 36" which fits in the free mailer.

Bottom end AT SU F motors keep it under 1000'
I won't be participating in this, so take my comments with appropriate amounts of salt.

To me, a rocket like this is exactly what you don't want for the traveler. It is a very nice rocket, but it would completely eliminate folks who fly LPR and/or those who routinely fly schoolyards and other small fields. You might be OK with this sort of constraint, but it's not what I would pick.

Just my opinion.

I won't be participating in this, so take my comments with appropriate amounts of salt.

To me, a rocket like this is exactly what you don't want for the traveler. It is a very nice rocket, but it would completely eliminate folks who fly LPR and/or those who routinely fly schoolyards and other small fields. You might be OK with this sort of constraint, but it's not what I would pick.

I agree . A alpha 3 would be alot better of a choice.

Just my opinion.
That is why I was looking a FG stubbies. Something that would fly to say 350~400ft. for the park flyers, but could handle an AT 29/40-120 burning an H128 for folks with access to HPR fields. Plus, FG can handle the abuse USPS is known for inflicting on packages.

Still, a group consensus is the only fair way to make this decision.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back