PO'ed at one of my favorite restaraunts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
This is just a venting exercise.

There is a small chain of Italian restaurants here in the San A.ntonio area. All are owned by members of the same family. The quality varies from location to location from "ok" to excellent. Since "grandma" died a few years ago and the Broadway location closed, I have not frequented other locations very much until recently.

Then I found the Huebner location. Everything there is just like "grandma" used to make. It has become my custom to go there on Sunday evenings and have supper before reporting for the night shift at the main hospital. It is something I look forward to each week as a break from the Purina Hospital Chow and the stuff i get at home. I've got the staff trained so that when I show up, they automatically bring a pitcher of tea and I can enjoy my book until my order comes. I finish up, go to work and feel like the week has started of well.

Last week, I walked in they brought my tea and refilled the pitcher a couple of times. I finally realized that it was almost 11pm and I had to get to work. Nobody had bothered to take my order. Each of the servers had assumed that the other had done so. I paid for my tea and went to work hungry. It was probably good for me but it was a disappointment. It did make me look forward to this week with special relish.

Tonight, my tea was brought and I ordered a pizza. I haven't had one of their pizzas since 1973! I usually elect for something else but a pizza sounded great tonight. There was only on caveat: no onions! I can't handle onions.

I drank my tea, read my book and my pizza came just as the doors and kitchen closed. x-tra onions!

I managed to control by rage and have no expectations of being on the evening news. I paid my bill and reported for work hungry once again.

These trivial incidents should not be affecting me as strongly as they are but my disappointment is profound.

If they do this to me again next week, I fear I will make the 10 o'clock news.

Sounds like it's time to call in Gordon Ramsay...

Given that you're a regular, why didn't you politely bring it to their attention? They probably would have fallen all over themselves to make it right.

Given that you're a regular, why didn't you politely bring it to their attention? They probably would have fallen all over themselves to make it right.

+1 I had a favorite quicky burger place years ago. One time I was passing fast and decided to stop for a quick bite. I asked for everything but onions on my burger. Two miles down the highway I unwrapped my burger and found that it was extra mayo and onion. NOTHING ELSE!! :facepalm::puke:

Last edited:
That is what I was wondering....

When the bill was paid, was it for the pizza that could not be eaten?

Was the pizza taken "to go" and given to other people at work to enjoy?

If the pizza was left on the table completely uneaten, then the staff shold have at least asked "is everything OK?" and be given an explanation.

When I order a burger or many different restaurant dishes, i always ask for "NO ONIONS". When the food arrives, if the waiter does not say "you ordered 'no onions'" as they hand it to me, I ask them "this has no onions, right?".

They should want to know if there is a problem and correct it to keep you a happy customer, as you were making a normal simple request and not being difficult in any way. If they refuse to correct the problem or keep doing it, then perhaps they want you to go away and never come back - either intentionally (maybe they want to leave early or are unhappy with the tips?), or unintentionally (they are just "bad").

Q. Sir, how was everything?
A. Well, the food wasn't too good but the service was lousy.

Maybe you should leave a tip once in awhile?

I had a problem with a national chain restaurant several years back. The "Always Open" manager seated us, then brought us water and coffee. My wife and I have my grandkids due to the death of their father and mother has health problems.

Well 45 minutes after we ordered our meals, still no food, and the kids are getting fussy and crying they are hungry. I ask said manager where my our order was. A very curt response was "it will be out any minute!" Now the restaurant was not that busy, and we should have gotten our food by this time, especially when customers that came in after us had been served!

After another 30 minutes I demand the bill for the drinks, the family is walking out the door. The manager stops me and says if I leave he will call law enforcement and have me arrested for walking out on the bill, of which I have not received any food. I go to hand him a $20 dollar bill to cover the drinks, he is on the phone with 911, and demands I go back and sit down my food is on the way out. I left the money on the counter next to the register and proceed out the door.

I am not worried about being arrested, the police substation is a half block away. As I step away from the counter, the very brave manager grabs my arm and is going to hold me there until the cops show up and arrest me for bill skipping. I am a third degree Kempo Black Belt, it took every fiber of my being to keep from killing this dweeb for putting his hands on me.

Well the cops show about this time and ask what my "problem is", I explain that we have been there for over 2 hours and no food, and that I left a $20 dollar bill on the counter, which was still there. The manager is demanding I be arrested for bill skipping, I ask the officer interviewing me if I had did anything wrong by leaving money for the drinks and being detained for bill skipping. He said no I was within my rights to leave when the money is on the counter, I then ask if I can press charges on the manger for kidnapping and extortion. The officer said yes, but it would be months before I had any satisfaction, and the best thing would be to write the corporate office and have him fired.

I wrote a letter to the State Attorney General's office as well as the corporate office. The A.G.'s office gave them a rotor rooter job, and the corporate office sent me an apology letter and coupons for about 15 free meals. Needless to say I tossed the coupons in the trash and vowed never to go back.

Last edited:
I have had similar slow service problems and that was usually because they made a mistake with the order - such as preparing it incorrectly and the error beign caught by the waiter/waitress so they had to cook a new meal. If this happens, they should feed everyone else and give the person waiting something to eat such as an appetizer or salad or whatever.

I had a problem with a national chain restaurant several years back. The "Always Open" manager seated us, then brought us water and coffee. My wife and I have my grandkids due to the death of their father and mother has health problems.

Well 45 minutes after we ordered our meals, still no food, and the kids are getting fussy and crying they are hungry. I ask said manager where my our order was. A very curt response was "it will be out any minute!" Now the restaurant was not that busy, and we should have gotten our food by this time, especilly when customers that came in after us had been served!

Sorry man... I feel for ya!

I've had my share of lousy restaurant experiences, that's for sure...

One time my BIL and I took the MIL and my wife down to see her aunt in southern Indiana, dropped her off, and went to the National Farm Machinery Show in Louisville... Spent the entire day roaming through the huge buildings covering like 100 acres of ground looking at the latest and greatest in agriculture technology, and picking up about 50 pounds of sales literature, brochures, freebies, samples, and such. Had a hot dog or two at the show, but not much else. SO, when we left, we were pretty well famished. We drove back thru southern Indiana toward the aunt's house, and stopped along the way for supper... as it so happened, at the world's worst Denny's. Evidently there was some sort of brou-ha-ha between the cook and the manager, with the cook not getting paid what he thought he should be getting paid; of course we didn't know this when we came in, sat down, and ordered. About 15-20 minutes after we came in, there was a screaming match in the kitchen, the cook quit, and stormed out the door... with a restaurant full of people waiting for food. The manager went back and started attempting to cook, and maybe an hour later we got our food... such as it was... "low grade dog food" comes to mind... dinner and a show though... LOL:)

Then there was the time we ended up at the world's worst IHOP on the north side of Evansville, Indiana. This was a few years later, and my wife, Keira, and I had gone SW from Indy to visit Betty's aunt and then we pushed on down to Evansville to spend the night at Motel 6. The next morning, we went to IHOP next door for breakfast. We walked in and ended up standing by the "please wait to be seated" sign for about 10 minutes or so before anyone offered to get us a table... Apparently there were four people working in the restaurant... a cranky beleaguered cook, a wire-thin old chain-smoking waitress with a "who the h3ll cares" attitude (personification of the "Maxine" cartoons), a cocky dumb teenage boy with a bad attitude and nothing going on upstairs, and an enormously pregnant weepy twenty-or-thirtysomething blonde who looked like she was about to pop at any moment with about three litters of puppies who was kinda clueless. Basically the old witch and the young punk were constantly sniping at each other and more worried about making sh!tty comments at each other than actually waiting tables and serving customers... the poor pregnant girl was just weepy and doing what she could to try to cover her tables and customers and help other customers that the witch and punk weren't taking care of as best she could, while occasionally taking flak from the other two... There was some sort of three-way argument going on with the cook in the back, with the witch and the punk trading insults with the cook from time to time, with basically the whole bunch trading half-shouted insults across the dining room, except the poor pregnant girl who actually appeared to be trying to do the job, just not doing it particularly well... We FINALLY got our food after about 30-40 minutes of listening to this insult radio-show between the three of them, and forget getting a refill or getting extra butter or syrup or anything else... the witch came over and plopped our plates down in front of us with a clatter and stalked off, shouting at the punk over some comment he'd just made at her a moment before... Honestly I have NEVER been in a worse-run restaurant in my life. Next time we went through there, they were broke and boarded up, and good riddance!

Now, my wife was in 'customer service', because all through college and even when she started teaching in Tennessee, she worked in a "somewhat upscale" department store that was bought out and changed names a half-dozen times, in the Green Hills Mall of Nashville, an upscale neighborhood... In fact one of her more famous customers was George "Goober" Lindsey... Anyway, she worked her way up, and in fact KEPT working at the store even after she graduated and became a public school teacher, because teachers were/are paid SO poorly in Tennessee that she HAD to keep working a second job at the store to pay her college loans and have food on the table and the rent paid. After a few years of teaching, she was miserable and overworked and sick of it, and quit teaching and got into a manager-in-training program at the store, and ended up being a manager of, at various times, housewares, menswear, lingerie, women's clothing, and kidswear. Right after we got married, the store chain was bought out by Foley's, which allowed her to transfer to the Sugarland store (SW Houston) when we moved back to Texas, and then they sold out to Macy's; not long after she was "let go" in the transfer/downsizing, but she was ready to get back into teaching and sick of retail anyway. SO, she has a long history with "customer service issues" and resolutions... she used to have 3-5 salespeople working under her in her department. Lets just say that Betty doesn't do well with managers who don't do their job...

Sunday before last, we went to the pool at El Campo after church, swam most of the afternoon, and then when they closed at 6, we decided to go to a new Mexican restaurant in Wharton... it's a "local chain" that my baby-sister-in-law (little brother's wife) is quite fond of, whom I consider "okay"... don't dislike them but not crazy about them either, but hey, let baby sister choose today... The restaurant USED to be a Chili's, but they went broke. Then it was a K-Bob's Steakhouse, but they went broke (overpriced and LOUSY food, and service was worse). Now it's a Mexican joint. So, we go in, and are taken back to the back corner of the dining room, which is ridiculously small, since fully HALF the restaurant is taken up by the "sports bar" occupying the other half, with a few tables along the wall and a huge bigscreen, and a wrap-around bar with a big mixing area in the center of it. The rest of the place is the "dining room" shoved full of booths and some tables along the wall, with narrow aisles. When we approach the table, shoved up against the wall, it's about the size of a kid's card table... maybe a little bigger... barely big enough for FOUR, but it's got SIX chairs crammed in around it, and we've got FIVE people... Now, NONE of us are little people-- Betty's six feet tall, I'm 6-1 and about 350, Keira's right at 5 feet tall and 110 (and about to start fourth grade!), my brother Jason is 6 foot and about 325, and his wife Leslie is about 5-4 or 5-5 and maybe 160 (guessing). So we're trying to get in and sit down at this glorified kids card table, with this tiny aisle next to us, hemmed in by booths on the other side, and THREE waitstaff just standing around right behind us in the aisle, basically with thumbs up butts from what I could see... So it takes us a minute to get ourselves "worked in" around the table... As Betty was getting in by the wall, a waiter pushed past me and apparently made some offhand remark in Spanish that elicited a laugh from the two female waitresses standing in the aisle behind me, and while I didn't really even notice, Betty sure did! So we finally got arranged and sat down, and ordered and got our food and had a pretty decent meal, though there was little/no follow up service for tea refills and such... we tend to order water a lot, because 1) they charge about $2 bucks a glass now, usually more, even for tea, which is just a way to jack up the price of a $7.50-8.00 meal to over $10 bucks to make more money, and 2) if I get tea, I want it sweet, which means I add sugar, and I don't need the extra sugar, so I usually just drink water and plenty of it. This seems to PO waitstaff, but to h3ll with them-- that's what they're there for! Keep the glass filled and you'll get a good tip. Don't and you won't.

SO, we get up to leave, and Betty asks to see the manager. Keira and I go to the cans, and when we come back, Betty's in a rather heated discussion with this young punk that had pushed past me in the aisle, with him mouthing off to her "I DON'T disrespect my customers... You heard wrong, I don't know WHAT you think you heard, I don't disrespect my customers..." and she was saying "I know what I heard, and the other two girls laughed... that isn't right!" and so Keira and I just went on to the car. Later I found out what it was all about... I didn't even hear the comment and laugh from the girls, I was too busy trying to figure out how we were all gonna sit at this stupid card table and not completely plug off the aisle from the kitchen to the rest of the restaurant. Turns out, the punk kid who pushed behind me and made the crappy comment in Spanish to his girlfriend waitresses, WAS the manager! When Betty confronted him about the comment, instead of just saying, "Oh, I'm sorry, you must have misunderstood... I apologize if you were offended" and moving on, he wants to stand there and ARGUE with her, which is TOTALLY the wrong thing to do from a customer-service standpoint... You SHOULD make the customer "feel" right, even if they're "wrong"; just make a "pat on the head" comment to soothe the situation, even if you just blow it off and laugh or giggle about it with the waitstaff after the shift is over... you don't stand there and argue with the customer...

Anyway, it's not the first time we had a lousy experience there... when it was K-Bob's, my parents and I went there one day for lunch when we were running errands. My mom doesn't get around well, Dad's handicapped and uses a scooter chair to get around, and they put the handicapped spots BEHIND the restaurant at the back corner from the entrance. THEN they routed us to the back corner of the bar side of the restaurant when they seated us. There WAS a "back door" to the dining room there right beside the handicapped spots, but they had the door locked and junk stacked up in the portico between the dining room and door. My folks have bad teeth, and mom ordered fish or something; Dad got something he THOUGHT would be tender enough to eat with his bad teeth... like carne guisada or something. Turns out THEIR idea of carne guisada was just to cut up a regular el cheapo grilled mini-steak (same one I had grilled) and splash a little enchilada gravy over it... so it was too tough for him to eat. He told this to the manager and confronted him about the handicapped parking, and the fact that they didn't even have the back door by the handicapped spots open for handicapped people to come in, and the manager was just adversarial and argumentative and didn't listen to anything he said... So, we never went back.

Betty had a solution to that sort of thing when she was in college... a friend of hers had recently returned from studying overseas or some overseas trip to Greece, and she still had Greek money on her. They ate lunch and had a cocky punk waiter who was lousy and bad attitude, so when they left, the left a drachma as a tip... which is about 1/20th of a cent... My folks and I used to frequent a local Chinese restaurant that had a waitstaff with a rather bad attitude, and some days their attitude was definitely worse than others... One day they were pushy and argumentative and bad attitude with my mom, and she left without leaving ANY tip after having put up with them, and the waiter chased her down outside the restaurant demanding a tip! That sort of took the cake IMHO... you're not AUTOMATICALLY ENTITLED to a tip... When eating alone, if you took care of me, I'll leave about $2 tip on a roughly $10 meal. If you REALLY took GOOD care of me, I'll leave $3. If you just brought the water or tea and plate and I had to flag you down for a refill or something and you took your time about it, you may only get $1. If you didn't bring a refill, forget it. You get nothing. I follow about the same principle when it's the three of us... with about $5 for okay service, $6 or so for GOOD service (depending how good), and maybe only $1-2 for crummy service.

Later! OL JR :)

Well 45 minutes after we ordered our meals, still no food, and the kids are getting fussy and crying they are hungry. I ask said manager where my our order was. A very curt response was "it will be out any minute!" Now the restaurant was not that busy, and we should have gotten our food by this time, especially when customers that came in after us had been served!

After another 30 minutes I demand the bill for the drinks, the family is walking out the door. The manager stops me and says if I leave he will call law enforcement and have me arrested for walking out on the bill, of which I have not received any food. I go to hand him a $20 dollar bill to cover the drinks, he is on the phone with 911, and demands I go back and sit down my food is on the way out. I left the money on the counter next to the register and proceed out the door.

I am not worried about being arrested, the police substation is a half block away. As I step away from the counter, the very brave manager grabs my arm and is going to hold me there until the cops show up and arrest me for bill skipping. I am a third degree Kempo Black Belt, it took every fiber of my being to keep from killing this dweeb for putting his hands on me.

Well the cops show about this time and ask what my "problem is", I explain that we have been there for over 2 hours and no food, and that I left a $20 dollar bill on the counter, which was still there. The manager is demanding I be arrested for bill skipping, I ask the officer interviewing me if I had did anything wrong by leaving money for the drinks and being detained for bill skipping. He said no I was within my rights to leave when the money is on the counter, I then ask if I can press charges on the manger for kidnapping and extortion. The officer said yes, but it would be months before I had any satisfaction, and the best thing would be to write the corporate office and have him fired.

I wrote a letter to the State Attorney General's office as well as the corporate office. The A.G.'s office gave them a rotor rooter job, and the corporate office sent me an apology letter and coupons for about 15 free meals. Needless to say I tossed the coupons in the trash and vowed never to go back.

Applebee's, right?

Oh THAT sucks...

I can see you not wanting the coupons, but honestly, I'd have given them to a local church or food pantry or something-- the company should have been made to "pay" for their employees misdeeds, and if you didn't want to give them the satisfaction of "frequenting" them, AT LEAST let someone else less fortunate get the benefit of some free meals on their dime...

I found it interesting when I recently attended church in my BIL's home town in Indiana, that the local ministers of the various churches in town have an "agreement" amongst them to handle folks who come seeking assistance who may be "down on their luck", including with the local police department. Usually its drifters or travelers or stuff having a hard time who come looking for help at local churches, and so the "agreement" is set up that the people looking for help are first referred to the local police department. The go down there and tell them that "such and such" minister sent them down there, and they do a quick background check on them. If they come back "clean" (no warrants or stuff" then the PD gives them a little "note" saying they've checked out okay on PD letterhead, and refer them back to the church. The church then will render aid as they can... The local churches also contribute some "gift certificates" for meals that the PD can hand out directly to folks in need once they check out, so that the folks don't have to come back to the referring church to obtain simple help...

Makes a lot of sense to me... :) OL JR :)

This guy got the wrong pizza, too, but I suspect in this case it was entirely his fault:

[video=youtube;s9R4Dur1mSU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9R4Dur1mSU[/video]

TO any wait staff or managers reading this. Mistakes happen. I understand that. I will tell you that I am most loyal to 2 restaurants in my area. Why? Have they always given me PERFECT service and food? No. The opposite. They have made mistakes. But when I/they realize it, they do something tangible to apologize. Usually a free something. Either the meal they made a mistake on, a free drink or appetizer/desert, or whatever.

My in-laws took my family out to a very nice restaurant. As time went on, no food. Not even salads. And we started hearing the neighboring tables complain similarly. After 45 minutes, we asked the server what was wrong. She said there was a kitchen "issue" and will talk to the manager. A few minutes later the head chef/manager came out and told us our whole meal, all the wine we ordered and any other drinks or desert we want later was on the house. I think they did this to a couple of other tables too. Our table alone was over $200.

Yes, they took a financial beating that night, but my in-laws, who go there 3-4 times a year, said they will be back, because they were treated well even though the service failed that night. This is what keeps a 1 night disaster from turning into a slow decline. We got our tasty food, didn't over order on drinks, were almost forced to accept desert (they really wanted to make it up to us) and left with a 20% tip on the table. It totally wasn't the nice waitresses fault, and they bent over backwards to make it up to us.

By the time I found out, the kitchen was closed and I would not have had time to wait even if it was still open. The staff was nice throughout. My waiter told me that the next one is "on him"

+1 I had a favorite quicky burger place years ago. One time I was passing fast and decided to stop for a quick bite. I asked for everything but onions on my burger. Two miles down the highway I unwrapped my burger and found that it was extra mayo and onion. NOTHING ELSE!! :facepalm::puke:

I learned years ago with to go orders to always check before I leave. That doesn't guarantee the order will be right but not checking guarantees that it will be wrong.

That is what I was wondering....

When the bill was paid, was it for the pizza that could not be eaten?

Was the pizza taken "to go" and given to other people at work to enjoy?

If the pizza was left on the table completely uneaten, then the staff shold have at least asked "is everything OK?" and be given an explanation.

When I order a burger or many different restaurant dishes, i always ask for "NO ONIONS". When the food arrives, if the waiter does not say "you ordered 'no onions'" as they hand it to me, I ask them "this has no onions, right?".

They should want to know if there is a problem and correct it to keep you a happy customer, as you were making a normal simple request and not being difficult in any way. If they refuse to correct the problem or keep doing it, then perhaps they want you to go away and never come back - either intentionally (maybe they want to leave early or are unhappy with the tips?), or unintentionally (they are just "bad").

Yes, I paid the entire bill. I have reasons for that which are long and complex but developed having grown up in the restauant business. The main reason this time is that my waiter was new and I know the lady who runs the place. I would rather take the hit than have him face her wrath. He realized that and I am sure that will be reflected in my next visit.

The pizza was not taken. My office is in the Oak Hills building near the hospital. I am the only one there at night. Getting in, especially with the laptop case, briefcase and all my other crap is a PITA without making a second trip to deliver a pizza to the mice. I have to park 1/4 mile away because of the construction. Waiting for security to show up to get in to begin with is not a lot of fun either.

The staff did not have to ask because I let them know, nicely I hope. They were sorry and had a good attitude. As I mentioned earlier, I had lots of reasons for going ahead and paying but the biggest was liking the kid and knowing the battleaxe who manages on Sunday night.

As to the last, I agree. I know most of the dodges because I grew up listening to my dad talk about them and then experienced them myself when I learned the business. When I see Arianna the owner of that location, which is not very often because she is not usually there on Sunday nights, I will talk to her about it if the situation does not resolve. She has a right to know how her business is being run and would do something constructive, unlike the lady he has there now. I'll talk to her about that as well.

Q. Sir, how was everything?
A. Well, the food wasn't too good but the service was lousy.

Maybe you should leave a tip once in awhile?

I usually start at 20% and adjust from there. I have left a penny in particularly egregious cases but I have never left nothing. Back when I could afford it, I sometimes caused problems at a few of my regular places because the service staff argued about whose station I would sit in.

TO any wait staff or managers reading this. Mistakes happen. I understand that. I will tell you that I am most loyal to 2 restaurants in my area. Why? Have they always given me PERFECT service and food? No. The opposite. They have made mistakes. But when I/they realize it, they do something tangible to apologize. Usually a free something. Either the meal they made a mistake on, a free drink or appetizer/desert, or whatever.

My in-laws took my family out to a very nice restaurant. As time went on, no food. Not even salads. And we started hearing the neighboring tables complain similarly. After 45 minutes, we asked the server what was wrong. She said there was a kitchen "issue" and will talk to the manager. A few minutes later the head chef/manager came out and told us our whole meal, all the wine we ordered and any other drinks or desert we want later was on the house. I think they did this to a couple of other tables too. Our table alone was over $200.

Yes, they took a financial beating that night, but my in-laws, who go there 3-4 times a year, said they will be back, because they were treated well even though the service failed that night. This is what keeps a 1 night disaster from turning into a slow decline. We got our tasty food, didn't over order on drinks, were almost forced to accept desert (they really wanted to make it up to us) and left with a 20% tip on the table. It totally wasn't the nice waitresses fault, and they bent over backwards to make it up to us.

BINGO! That is the attitude that keeps me coming back.

I remember as a kid hearing my dad tell my mom, "If a customer has a good lunch experience, you're lucky if he remembers to tell his wife when he gets home; if he has a bad one he will be telling everyone he knows for the next 10 years"

BINGO! That is the attitude that keeps me coming back.

I remember as a kid hearing my dad tell my mom, "If a customer has a good lunch experience, you're lucky if he remembers to tell his wife when he gets home; if he has a bad one he will be telling everyone he knows for the next 10 years"

Yup. I had a particularly bad experience with an auto dealer when my Dad was car shopping (when I was still in high school thirty some years ago). Although the conversation was addressed entirely toward my father, I took personal offense at what was said on behalf of my Dad. That dealer has a major presence in the area and exerts considerable influence politically. This many years later, I am still not shy about sharing my reasons for never stepping foot on one of their car lots.

I've been extraordinarily lucky in my life. Only once or twice have I had a truly bad experience. One time when I was younger I may have dropped some plates off the table after 40 minutes and no one came to take the order...It worked we suddenly had someone's attention after asking several times. Most times now, if anything seems off I pay for what we've had and bail. Too many good restaurants around here to deal with someone's bad night. I've found if you wait for a table at the bar and tip well, you get well taken care of the rest of the night.

Chains get slammed, but I was once with a group of about 15 friends from out of town. We were all traveling and stopped at an applebees. Everyone had something special or added to their orders. Waitress didn't write down a single order, and there wasn't a single mistake.

If it was me I would have just mentioned it to the staff or manager on duty and at least have them correct it or not charge you for it. How else are they going to know where they can improve if no one brings this up to them.

Oh THAT sucks...

I can see you not wanting the coupons, but honestly, I'd have given them to a local church or food pantry or something-- the company should have been made to "pay" for their employees misdeeds, and if you didn't want to give them the satisfaction of "frequenting" them, AT LEAST let someone else less fortunate get the benefit of some free meals on their dime...

I found it interesting when I recently attended church in my BIL's home town in Indiana, that the local ministers of the various churches in town have an "agreement" amongst them to handle folks who come seeking assistance who may be "down on their luck", including with the local police department. Usually its drifters or travelers or stuff having a hard time who come looking for help at local churches, and so the "agreement" is set up that the people looking for help are first referred to the local police department. The go down there and tell them that "such and such" minister sent them down there, and they do a quick background check on them. If they come back "clean" (no warrants or stuff" then the PD gives them a little "note" saying they've checked out okay on PD letterhead, and refer them back to the church. The church then will render aid as they can... The local churches also contribute some "gift certificates" for meals that the PD can hand out directly to folks in need once they check out, so that the folks don't have to come back to the referring church to obtain simple help...

Makes a lot of sense to me... :) OL JR :)

At the time I was furious and did not think about donating them to the church or food bank. I live in a rural area outside Tucson, and where I would have donated them, the folks that would have received them may have ended up at that same restaurant I had problems with and did not want to put nice people through what I went through!

As far as Tips, I start at 15% then go up according to my service. They keep my coffee cup full and we the right orders they get 20%+. As long as they know I am there and pay attention accordingly they will get more. I always tip, bad service or good. Just it is hard to tip with bad service.

If it was me I would have just mentioned it to the staff or manager on duty and at least have them correct it or not charge you for it. How else are they going to know where they can improve if no one brings this up to them.

I did bring it up to the staff but made a decision not to let the manager (a witch) know. I let the waiters know for the reason you stated: so that they can improve. My waiter was a new guy and very nice. I knew that if I brought it up to the witch, he would likely have been fired. I did not want that. I would not mind her getting fired but she is the sister-in-law of the owner of that location.

I did bring it up to the staff but made a decision not to let the manager (a witch) know. I let the waiters know for the reason you stated: so that they can improve. My waiter was a new guy and very nice. I knew that if I brought it up to the witch, he would likely have been fired. I did not want that. I would not mind her getting fired but she is the sister-in-law of the owner of that location.

Good call....well just keep mentioning to the staff and hopefully they will get it right. sounds like a great place to eat.

Got one question, and this one seals the deal...

How is the cannoli??

If they don't serve cannoli, they're not a "real" Italian restaurant IMHO...

Tiramisu is crap... Cannoli is where it's at... :) Later! OL JR :)

Back