Launching Back into the Hobby!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Absouloot

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
New here, not new to the hobby.

You know the story, boy gets into rockets, builds a few cool things, learns disappointment with builds going CATO (new term for me, I think I am using it right!). Then, boy learns about cars and girls, and life puts the rocket hobby aside. I have been working for the last 40+ years and hoping to retire within the next couple years.

What brought me back to the hobby? I was describing what rocketry was to a British friend (BTW, I don’t think they do Rocketry in the UK, he had no clue about it) and to help explain, I googled for an Estes engine image. Along with the image, Amazon pitched a rocket kit and F size motor combo. That’s where they got me. As a kid, I justified flying mostly rockets with mini motors because I was able to launch 4 rockets per pack of engines, versus 3 for standard sizes. I never flew the large D size stuff because frankly, I couldn’t afford it. Things have changed and I have been hooked on building non-mini stuff now!
The first kit was the Black Brant V (picture below), and I quickly followed it up with the Super Chief 2. I am currently working on the Doorknob and the Majestic, and in the queue is the Mega and Big Der Red Max plus a few more. Maybe one day, I might even launch one! At the moment, I am enjoying taking my time to build them nicely. As a kid, I was just trying to get them together and in the air!

I live in San Diego and hoping to connect with a group in this area in hopes to eventually head out to the desert to try my hand at Level 1 Cert at some point. I see there is an event this weekend (July 29th) on Fiesta Island, I will probably head on down and check it out!

Well, that’s my story. Glad to find some like minded hobbyists!
BTW, my classic favorites were the Orbital Transport, Space Shuttle, and Scissor Wing. My two stages rockets never seemed to go too well, I think the 1st stages were always too tight in the main tube! CATO? Well, I hope I fix that for my Super Chief BEFORE all that work is gone!

Attachments

• BlackBrantV.jpg
    BlackBrantV.jpg
    627.1 KB · Views: 0
New here, not new to the hobby.

You know the story, boy gets into rockets, builds a few cool things, learns disappointment with builds going CATO (new term for me, I think I am using it right!). Then, boy learns about cars and girls, and life puts the rocket hobby aside. I have been working for the last 40+ years and hoping to retire within the next couple years.

What brought me back to the hobby? I was describing what rocketry was to a British friend (BTW, I don’t think they do Rocketry in the UK, he had no clue about it) and to help explain, I googled for an Estes engine image. Along with the image, Amazon pitched a rocket kit and F size motor combo. That’s where they got me. As a kid, I justified flying mostly rockets with mini motors because I was able to launch 4 rockets per pack of engines, versus 3 for standard sizes. I never flew the large D size stuff because frankly, I couldn’t afford it. Things have changed and I have been hooked on building non-mini stuff now!
The first kit was the Black Brant V (picture below), and I quickly followed it up with the Super Chief 2. I am currently working on the Doorknob and the Majestic, and in the queue is the Mega and Big Der Red Max plus a few more. Maybe one day, I might even launch one! At the moment, I am enjoying taking my time to build them nicely. As a kid, I was just trying to get them together and in the air!

I live in San Diego and hoping to connect with a group in this area in hopes to eventually head out to the desert to try my hand at Level 1 Cert at some point. I see there is an event this weekend (July 29th) on Fiesta Island, I will probably head on down and check it out!

Well, that’s my story. Glad to find some like minded hobbyists!
BTW, my classic favorites were the Orbital Transport, Space Shuttle, and Scissor Wing. My two stages rockets never seemed to go too well, I think the 1st stages were always too tight in the main tube! CATO? Well, I hope I fix that for my Super Chief BEFORE all that work is gone!
Hello sir!

I will also be at DART on the 29th. Look for me and my friend flying my absolutely teeny-tiny MicroMaxx rockets obtained from a certain @fyrwrxz . I’ll keep a sharp eye out for your BBV.

IMG_9339.jpeg

Remind me to show off a few of my two-stagers too, I’ve got a couple tricks that make them work sorta reliably.

Hello sir!

I will also be at DART on the 29th. Look for me and my friend flying my absolutely teeny-tiny MicroMaxx rockets obtained from a certain @fyrwrxz . I’ll keep a sharp eye out for your BBV.

View attachment 594520

Remind me to show off a few of my two-stagers too, I’ve got a couple tricks that make them work sorta reliably.
Well, I am not sure I will be able to SEE those Micro's, but if I see you there, I will come say hello!

I wasn't planning on bringing anything to fly this time around, besides, I wasn't sure mid power was acceptable on the island. I thought I saw something that said max of 1000ft, and I think the BBV and the motors I bought for it, are suppose to exceed that.

Also, I didn't see a starting time for the DART event. Any idea how early things get started?

Thanks!

Well, I am not sure I will be able to SEE those Micro's, but if I see you there, I will come say hello!

I wasn't planning on bringing anything to fly this time around, besides, I wasn't sure mid power was acceptable on the island. I thought I saw something that said max of 1000ft, and I think the BBV and the motors I bought for it, are suppose to exceed that.

Also, I didn't see a starting time for the DART event. Any idea how early things get started?

Thanks!
Safety meeting at 8, flight ops start shortly after. Arrive early to take advantage of low winds. The launch window closes at 12.

The field is large enough to support Type G motors and equivalent complex configurations, lots of regulars fly 3- and 4-inch kits on G80s. We also love pyramids, saucers, oddrocs, and anything heavy, draggy, or down-powered. If you plan to kiss the ceiling, install a streamer or chute release.

Typically we also have a great vendor onsite, Discount Rocketry, but I didn’t see them confirm on DART’s FaceBook group so they may be somewhere else tomorrow.

Oh, and the MMX rockets tend to turn some heads! Dave was also kind enough to supply me with a tiny launcher for them, so I’ll talk to club quartermaster John Pacente and see if I could set it up next to one of the LPR pads. Otherwise I have a homemade rod adapter that works great.

Welcome to here! I'm on the other side of the country (New Jersey); but welcome all the same. Yeah, I know your story well, I flew rockets as a kid, gave it up around high school, came back into it at retirement (early retirement tho' I'm only 58), and have been doing this now for 18 months and already thinking about going for my L1 Cert, but will probably put that off until 2024. Join a local club, I'm sure there's something around you. They should have monthly launches and you'll get a kick from meeting other lunatics just like you.

When you are ready to go higher than the 1000' limit at Fiesta or HPR come out to Holtville. We start up again in October. Here's our website:
Tripoli San Diego
I might have to commit to a Holtville trip. ROC has been great but the 15 has been nothing but trouble my last few trips out there, road work is anticipated to continue to November.

Back