Watch for C.C. fraud

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pre-covid era our joint credit card would get compromised every couple of years and the credit card company would call us to ask if we had done a certain transaction. I took my credit cards out and scratched off the 3-digit code number on the back. I had it written down somewhere if I needed it. That way a restaurant server could not get that number and use our card. We haven't had a problem with our cards since.
At some point since then our credit card company started a service where they text us every time our account is used but the card is not present, i.e. an online purchase even if it is ordering takeout food from a restaurant.
Oh shoot! That is a good idea unless the restaurant gets queried for the three digit code. If they don't get asked, great thing to limit fraud by "live" dining. Online stuff, folks are S.O.L. Unless at least with merchandise, a seller won't send to a different address that the card is registered to. If the "secret" three digit code is scratched off, no one can do any online "chit" with a card. I'll consider it. Kurt

We don't have any credit cards anymore, just a debit card, I haven't used it in 3 years or so. Living on SS Income there's little money for me to buy things anyway.
Be warned, Debit cards have less recourse for scams than a regular credit card. I have a free credit card. Doesn't cost me anything. I have a Debit card through my bank also I only use to get walking around cash through their local ATM and doesn't cost me anything to use for that purpose only. I have never used it for payments as it draws directly from my bank account. That would be a nightmare if my Debit card was hacked.
With a C.C. company I get a statement snail mailed to me I can peruse and "THEN" write the freaking payment check. Yeah I use snail mail for this purpose as it's easier to detect fraud than direct "withdrawal". I highly recommend against doing direct payments using a Debit card except in some restricted instances.
With the fraudulent statement I received in the mail, I was able to pick out the stuff I actually bought and sent in a payment with an explanation. I had already contacted the company, reported the fraud and said I was paying for the legitimate charges I recognized. The fraud department I talked to over the telephone had already pulled the fraudulent stuff off the statement before I SENT the payment check in so I shouldn't get dinged. We'll see. Am supposed to get a new card early this week. Kurt

Back