Padcam Sound Trigger

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THarrison

Reaction score
I've upgraded my primary rocketry camera and I'm now thinking about turning my old DSLR (Canon 70D) into a remote pad cam (photos) with a sound trigger. I've found some trigger options on the market (MIOPS, Pluto), but interested in hearing firsthand experience from people that have done this. Tell me about your equipment and settings...

Thanks,
Todd Harrison

I've upgraded my primary rocketry camera and I'm now thinking about turning my old DSLR (Canon 70D) into a remote pad cam (photos) with a sound trigger. I've found some trigger options on the market (MIOPS, Pluto), but interested in hearing firsthand experience from people that have done this. Tell me about your equipment and settings...

Thanks,
Todd Harrison
This does not exactly answer your question but I hope the info is useful to you. The 70D, as you likely know, has a max burst rate of 7 fps. I have used a GoPro shooting video at 240 fps as a pad cam, and even at that speed there are only a few frames of the video I can grab as a still shot. You would probably get a better image with a 70D than you would with a GoPro frame grab, but you might miss the shot completely because of how fast things happen.

I hope someone who has successfully done what you’re considering replies with info that is helpful to you.

Back