Saturn V Build thread / ESTES Customer Service is AWESOME

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you were trying to model the Saturn SA-6 flight less the upside down roll pattern. There were only a few good photographs that were clear enough to use for reference. I used Peter Always reference drawings for my build.
I saw those, and yes I was. There are some things this model didn't have, but the biggest goof was my own making with the roll pattern. I HAVE thought about pulling all the pipes and verniers off, removing the wrap, and completely repainting, but......eh. No the now, anyway. Maybe after a launch or two I might pull that apart and revamp it.
Of the people who see this model and its launches, I'm guessing there's a scant handful only, probably less than 5, who would even realize something was wrong. Trouble is....*I'm* one of them. lol

Got a few more items added to the Saturn V today - some filler strips to match the corrugation in the couple spots where it didn't quite match up on the wraps around the main tube, and the launch lugs are glued down and drying as of right now. We'll be ready to lay down the first coats of paint tomorrow morning. I've got two free weekends to get this and a few others wrapped up before launch at the end of November. I might not have ALL the decals on by the time that comes around, but I'll be darned if I'm not going to try.

It's been a PRODUCTIVE weekend in the model shop. Saturn V got her base white Saturday morning. And today, well.....just more and more frog tape!
20221106_140922.jpg
20221106_145227.jpg
20221106_145755.jpg
20221106_171816.jpg

Still need to do some touch-up for overspray, and a few raceways and blisters need to be re-painted white, and then decals coming up this week. Plus i popped off the launch lug on the Skylab because i saw the glue joint was spotty. So that needs a quick repair, and of course the fin can for the Saturn 1 still needs some love. But I'm pretty sure I can have these wrapped up before next weekend.

Getting closer. Got the touch-up painting done, blisters, etc. Put some gunmetal on the bottom of the shrouds, and I've got the shock cords for the chutes drying now. One last blast of white in an easy to paint spot tonight, and I think we'll be ready for decals tomorrow night.
Learned my lesson from the Saturn 1B, I have a decal for the service module that needs to be applied BEFORE I cut the slot for the chute support hook and the rcs thrusters. So those will be the last things that go on. I'm also going to swap the escape tower and CM shroud with the one from the Boyce Saturn 1 because it's far more detailed and more impact resistant.
20221112_114846.jpg

And with the last decals applied, my Saturn family is done and ready to fly. It's been an interesting journey with these. From getting the Skylab model as I was "Getting back into the hobby," to the Saturn 1b for "practice" because the big one made me nervous......and then moving to the standard Saturn V because that was the one I always wanted to build as a kid, and finally the Saturn 1 that I bought almost as a lark but wound up enjoying thoroughly, each model presented its own challenges, and each absolutely has its own personality. I'm grateful to Jay M Chladek for convincing me to give it a go and for being there to answer occasional questions (thanks for helping me spend my money, man!) as well as many others who have inspired me to get these done. I know there are a couple other members of the Saturn family missing from this photo, and I have no doubt a block 1 Sat 1 will join this group eventually.
For now though, we are ready to launch when the kiddo comes home. About 10 days from now......weather permitting, we're gonna have a lot of fun. 😁
20221113_171215.jpg

The Saturn V was beautiful in the field! Launched it on an E16-4. Next time I may push it to an F15-4.

Screenshot_20221126_071635_Video Player.jpg

Attachments

• 20221125_105922.jpg
    20221125_105922.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221126_071602_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20221126_071602_Video Player.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 0
On post-flight examination, I think im going to apply a thin epoxy coat to the inside of the motor can to add a little extra protection. The motor is pretty far up the BT and the cardboard inside the BT definitely got a little toasted, even on just an E15. I'd like to shoot this off on an F next time but I'm worried about it burning any part of that lower tube.

On post-flight examination, I think im going to apply a thin epoxy coat to the inside of the motor can to add a little extra protection. The motor is pretty far up the BT and the cardboard inside the BT definitely got a little toasted, even on just an E15. I'd like to shoot this off on an F next time but I'm worried about it burning any part of that lower tube.
I believe you are supposed to provide at least 6” clearance between the bottom of the rocket and the pad surface. Your one picture shows it resting on the pad surface. That’s a no no.

I believe you are supposed to provide at least 6” clearance between the bottom of the rocket and the pad surface. Your one picture shows it resting on the pad surface. That’s a no no.
It was. I didn't know that. :-(
I guess I do now! Happy to say there was no actual damage, just a little toasted. I'd like to fly this again soon, it was a good one!

Nice builds, and a good backstory is always welcome. Thanks for sharing!

I don't remember if I posted this here, but my poor Saturn V Skylab had a VERY poor maiden flight. Sent her up on an F15-4, had a beautiful flight and eject just under apogee......and then the chute ripped RIGHT off its moorings for the nose section, which then went ballistic and pranged right into the "mini-swamp" at the field. Despite a LOT of searching, the nose half was not to he found. I think it buried itself in the mud.
Anyway, fast-forward a few months, and with a second Skylab purchased, I've finally decided to rebuild the nose cone. Got tired of looking at a bare lower half (which landed beautifully I might add).
But this time with a modified chute holddown that (hopefully) will never rip away. I looked up online a d found a few other people who complained of this. The mounting point is far too weak, and if the model is traveling too fast (remember it had a very heavy nose with all that clay), people lose the chute.
I've drilled a second hole in the upper plastic nose cone, and fed a piece of heavy Kevlar through the nose and down the body of the upper half to hang in a loop down at the bottom. Like so:
20231231_160826.jpg
20231231_160803.jpg

Now, the loop is tied with glue reinforcing up at the top of the nose, and what I'm thinking is epoxying a good percentage of the whole loop to the inside of the inner tube. It should distribute the shock more evenly and prevent any accidental ripping from the plastic nose.
What do you think? Reasonable? Or overkill?

I’m assuming your still going to seal the bulkhead at the bottom and have the Kevlar loop come thru the bulkhead. For my nose sections I use a screw eye which goes thru the bulkhead. I glue a 1/8” thick piece of plywood to the forward side of the bulkhead which the screw eye also goes thru. This prevents the screw eye from pulling out of the cardboard bulkhead disc. I make make sure the bulkhead is securely glued to the tube with wood or epoxy glue. Your plan would also work but seems to me to be a bit over the top.
Thanks for the heads up on this problem though. I’ve not flown my Skylab model as yet and constructed it as per plans provided. I’ll be looking to modify the chute attachment now. I’ll also provide a longer elastic cord on this portion of the rocket to lessen the shock on deployment.

I’m assuming your still going to seal the bulkhead at the bottom and have the Kevlar loop come thru the bulkhead. For my nose sections I use a screw eye which goes thru the bulkhead. I glue a 1/8” thick piece of plywood to the forward side of the bulkhead which the screw eye also goes thru. This prevents the screw eye from pulling out of the cardboard bulkhead disc. I make make sure the bulkhead is securely glued to the tube with wood or epoxy glue. Your plan would also work but seems to me to be a bit over the top.
I thought it might be a bit overkill, but better that than seeing another nose cone go ballistic. Can't keep buying Saturns or else WIFEY will go ballistic.
Oh and yes you assume correctly. That baffle is there for a good reason and it's going back in place when the epoxy is dry

I didn't take a pic because there is still a little touch-up to be done, but the Saturn V Skylab is repainted and back to display status.
I wish I could say it looks as good as the first one. I really wish that. But....it doesn't. I'm not not upset with the paint job, but I definitely put more heart and soul into the first paint job versus last night's. I might feel a little differently when the touchup is done, but at this point my overall feeling is "well, it's flyable at least, and I won't be as upset if it dies."
Pics later this weekend after the touch-up and the decals are applied.

Latest posts

Back