Finishing Mistake on Saturn V Skylab

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackiboi_11

Reaction score
Hi, I made a mistake on the skylab portion of the Estes sat V and was wondering how i could get rid of the paint mistake. (I know i’m not a very good builder but i’m just getting started on the harder kits so this is my first one 😂) The paint made this weird pattern and i tried to sand it off but i don’t know what to do at this point. Hopefully that photo shows what in talking about. If there needs to be another please ask so.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
You gotta start those hard kits sometime! I think that's pretty great in itself.

Tough call - maybe spray a light coat of paint to see how it looks?

Maybe a light coat of paint, you don't want too much more or you'll start filling in the details on the wraps. Make sure the old paint is good and dry or you may get wrinkling.

These kits can be unforgiving, that's for sure.

FWIW I've had better luck with semigloss white than gloss white, if that's what you were using.

Maybe a light coat of paint, you don't want too much more or you'll start filling in the details on the wraps. Make sure the old paint is good and dry or you may get wrinkling.

These kits can be unforgiving, that's for sure.

FWIW I've had better luck with semigloss white than gloss white, if that's what you were using.
So far i’ve done 2 coats of primer and during the second one a wind gust knocked it over causing there to be a ton of dirt and debris on the skylab portion. I didn’t know what to do so i tried using a paper towel and it completely messed it up, and then tried to sand/ paint over it wich didn’t do to well. The rest of the body looks good though.

Looks to me like most of the problem is what your putting the paint over rather than the paint itself.

I’m sorry for not making it clear. I meant that during painting a wind gust knocked it over (priming) and fell into some dirt. I used a paper towel to wipe it off because i did not know what to do and that made the weird texture that isn’t visually appealing. I apologize for the confusion

OK, you have 2 options, continue sanding and repaint which will take a lot of time, or write it off as a lesson learned and fly it the way it is. It doesn't look all that bad. Lots of guys don't even bother to paint their rockets, at least you did, and over time you will get better at it.

OK, you have 2 options, continue sanding and repaint which will take a lot of time, or write it off as a lesson learned and fly it the way it is. It doesn't look all that bad. Lots of guys don't even bother to paint their rockets, at least you did, and over time you will get better at it.
Alright will do, thanks!

Back