3D Printing P1P/P1S/Bambu questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After more than a year dithering on my next step printer from a fully tricked out Ender 3 Pro, I went with the Sonic pad and embraced Klipper. Doubled the speed (from 50mm/sec profiles to 100mm/sec profiles)......but that's like putting new gen tires on a Model T.....there are simply underlying issues that won't yield much overall benefit.

This week I finally ponied up and ordered a P1S with AMS. Should ship out in about a week or so.

For those that already have one of these machines, I have several questions (I mostly print PLA):

1. What is the ACTUAL size of the machine without the rear mounted spool holder (yes, I know I need to leave clearance for a poop bucket)?
  2. What spares am I reasonably going to want/need in the first year?
  3. Other than a poop bucket and the AMS connector wrench, what are other 'must have' prints for the printer/AMS?
  4. What filament have you found that simply absolutely will not work, no matter what you do?
  5. Any issues with glue/bed adhesion? I see some very mixed results on the various forums and posting places.
  6. What would you tell a new Day 1 owner about the machine that you wish that you had known?

Thanks!

Last edited:
After more than a year dithering on my next step printer from a fully tricked out Ender 3 Pro, I went with the Sonic pad and embraced Klipper. Doubled the speed (from 50mm/sec profiles to 100mm/sec profiles)......but that's like putting new gen tires on a Model T.....there are simply underlying issues that won't yield much overall benefit.

This week I finally ponied up and ordered a P1S with AMS. Should ship out in about a week or so.

For those that already have one of these machines, I have several questions (I mostly print PLA):

1. What is the ACTUAL size of the machine without the rear mounted spool holder (yes, I know I need to leave clearance for a poop bucket)?
  3. Other than a poop bucket and the AMS connector wrench, what are other 'must have' prints for the printer/AMS?
  4. What filament have you found that simply absolutely will not work, no matter what you do?
  5. Any issues with glue/bed adhesion? I see some very mixed results on the various forums and posting places.
  6. What would you tell a new Day 1 owner about the machine that you wish that you had known?

Thanks!
I don't have an AMS so I cannot answer many of your questions.

2) I'd recommend a spare engineering plate. See my answer to #5.

5) I have had mixed results with adhesion on the textured PEI sheet which is the stock build plate. I only tried it with PLA for the first few prints and switched to the engineering plate with a glue stick. The engineering plate + glue stick has been bulletproof for me on PLA and PETG. I'm about to start printing some ABS parts and plan to use the same method. Glue stick works great both as an adhesion promoter and a release agent once cool. At least it has for me.

6) Slicer - recommend you use Orca Slicer (OS) instead of Bambu Studio (BS) and run flow and dynamics calibration before printing anything. I tried BS first and quickly switched to OS. There is not a ton of difference between the two in terms of functionality but OS just feels more comfortable to me and it normally gets updates before BS. Both now have the capability to run flow and dynamics calibration.

I've never had an issue with PLA sticking to the textured PEI plate. I've always been amazed at how well it sticks when it's hot and how it just lifts right off after it's cooled. I do keep my plate clean by washing it with dishwashing liquid (Dawn) every now and then.

Randy

I've never had an issue with PLA sticking to the textured PEI plate. I've always been amazed at how well it sticks when it's hot and how it just lifts right off after it's cooled. I do keep my plate clean by washing it with dishwashing liquid (Dawn) every now and then.
I washed my textured PEI plate multiple times with hot water and Dawn but still had issues. I did reduce the part and aux fan speed later while tuning the filament for warping on large prints and never went back to try the textured PEI again. Perhaps it would have worked better. I feel a bit dumb because I can't get textured PEI to work like others report but it is what it is.

One thing I'd add to #6 is the part and aux cooling fans can have a huge impact on print performance. Coming from a stock ender 5 plus the P1S has a ton more part cooling IMO. The stock filament profiles seem to be tuned for maximum speed so the cooling is pretty significant. The downside is when you print larger things the parts will tend to warp. I was able to improve warping by slowing the printer a bit and reducing the cooling dramatically. I'm now experimenting with printing PLA and PETG with the top on and the door closed to maintain a more consistent chamber temp.

I have a X1 and haven't seen warping with PETG. My prints are all over these forums, so check them out. That being said, I generally print with the generic profiles or bambu profiles (when using their filaments) and have gotten good results across the board. But recommendations or not, I just leave the top on and door closed for as wsume said a more consistent chamber temp.

Oh, I run basically the Bambu Slicer. Briefly used Orca, but haven't had a need to use it. Although with the new seam capabilities, I might have to go try the latest and see if that helps.

As far as spare parts... I have a few too many and haven't needed them. Think I'm still using the same dumb engineering plate from over 1.5 years ago, and only changed the cool plate side sticker once (although I do not print a lot of PLA).

I do like having the hardened extruder gears. And have a selection of space .4 hardened ad standard, and .6 hardened nozzles to swap too. Never tried .2, may get one and give it a go at some point.

AMS rocks. I used mine for about a year before I ended up getting an AMS, and well, its nice. I don't do a lot of multi-color prints, but being able to swap most filaments around quickly is nice. Enough so I think I'm going to get the adapter to be able to run 2 AMS units.

Other spare parts... lots of filament! You'll find yourself printing a lot when you are not futzing with the printer.

Sorry piecemealing this.

With PETG and engineering plate I do use their glue every now and then. And clean it every now and then if I have an issue with a first layer.

As far as filament, Overture... can't get the stuff to work on any printer. YMMV. Sunlu, eSun, Geetech, Polymaker, Bambu brands all seem to work fine. A buddy has been using Inland brand with success.

I don't use the hanger. I just have the filament in heaters, or in the AMS unit (now).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CFXQD157/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PMPFXJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a X1 and haven't seen warping with PETG. My prints are all over these forums, so check them out. That being said, I generally print with the generic profiles or bambu profiles (when using their filaments) and have gotten good results across the board. But recommendations or not, I just leave the top on and door closed for as wsume said a more consistent chamber temp.

Oh, I run basically the Bambu Slicer. Briefly used Orca, but haven't had a need to use it. Although with the new seam capabilities, I might have to go try the latest and see if that helps.

As far as spare parts... I have a few too many and haven't needed them. Think I'm still using the same dumb engineering plate from over 1.5 years ago, and only changed the cool plate side sticker once (although I do not print a lot of PLA).

I do like having the hardened extruder gears. And have a selection of space .4 hardened ad standard, and .6 hardened nozzles to swap too. Never tried .2, may get one and give it a go at some point.

AMS rocks. I used mine for about a year before I ended up getting an AMS, and well, its nice. I don't do a lot of multi-color prints, but being able to swap most filaments around quickly is nice. Enough so I think I'm going to get the adapter to be able to run 2 AMS units.

Other spare parts... lots of filament! You'll find yourself printing a lot when you are not futzing with the printer.

Sorry piecemealing this.

With PETG and engineering plate I do use their glue every now and then. And clean it every now and then if I have an issue with a first layer.

As far as filament, Overture... can't get the stuff to work on any printer. YMMV. Sunlu, eSun, Geetech, Polymaker, Bambu brands all seem to work fine. A buddy has been using Inland brand with success.

I don't use the hanger. I just have the filament in heaters, or in the AMS unit (now).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CFXQD157/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PMPFXJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ive printed a ton of Overture as well as multiple other brands. For Overture i found calibration with altering the hot end, plate temps especially for PETG. Gotten really good results with Overture.

Thanks!
I have 2 P1S printers. One uses 2 AMS units. The other i print from one of my filament dryers or the mounted spool holder on the machine. The AMS is great for several things. One is having back up rolls of filament that will switch to another roll when it runs out when you set it up for it. Makes it nice to use all the filament on a spool. i use the other macine to print other materials like filament with CF in it or nylon, polycarbonate filaments. I also print most of my ABS/ASA with that machine.

Ive done some fun multi color stuff that turned out great with the AMS units but You cant run TPU or abrasive filament through it. But it will use anything else. It also allows you to utilize different materials for support vs the item. Using the right filament for it makes them seperate easier.

As far as things to get to keep on hand

Spare complete hot ends. Most likely 0.4 and 0.6 sizes. The complete hot ends are much easier to change and come hardened steel not stainless. I also keep a spare extruder and a set of hardened steel extruder gears. Other things would be spare filament cutting blades, nozzle wipersand a long 900mm length of the bowden tubing. You can cut it to length for any needs. I also keep a quantity of build plates. I use the textured pei, smooth dual sided pei, hot plate with engineering plate. Plus recently got some aftermarket plates for it.

Most all of the above is wear items. They will wear out. Plus things happen.

The size of the printer externally is 16L x 16w x 18 tall in inches.

I do utilize glue for some stuff. Its more of a release then a bonding agent.

I like using both Orca and bambu studio. Orca just recently added some features. Orca looks just like bambu studio for their slicer.

There are plenty of things you will find you will print. Tools for connectors. Tools for the extruder gears. Bowden release tools. Plus other stuff. Build plate holders. Etc.

I have currently tried about 10 different filament by brand. Ive printed Pla, Pla plus, petg, abs, asa, tpu, nylon and polycarbonate. Also printed some carbon fiber variants of some of those. All printed well.

I think the biggest issues are user created ones. Not knowing how to correct or make things so they work via settings or understanding what filaments you need to open the front door and crack open the top lid. And changing temps. Fans. Etc can make all the difference in a failed print or not.

I would also print a led riser as i didnt like the lighting and how dark it is.

Glue bed adhesion is a variable. Depending what your printing and what's the settings.

I think the biggest issues are user created ones. Not knowing how to correct or make things so they work via settings or understanding what filaments you need to open the front door and crack open the top lid. And changing temps. Fans. Etc can make all the difference in a failed print or not.

I would also print a led riser as i didnt like the lighting and how dark it is.

Glue bed adhesion is a variable. Depending what your printing and what's the settings.
This matches my experience exactly. I've never had a failed print from poor plate adhesion but I have had a corner lift up when not using glue. So I use glue to stop this.

I'm also making a LED riser as well. Just finished a Bento Box fan and now moving on to the riser. The riser I'm making has doors you can open to vent the chamber. I think this will give me more options for controlling chamber temp for different filaments.

Spare complete hot ends. Most likely 0.4 and 0.6 sizes. The complete hot ends are much easier to change and come hardened steel not stainless. I also keep a spare extruder and a set of hardened steel extruder gears. Other things would be spare filament cutting blades, nozzle wipersand a long 900mm length of the bowden tubing. You can cut it to length for any needs. I also keep a quantity of build plates. I use the textured pei, smooth dual sided pei, hot plate with engineering plate. Plus recently got some aftermarket plates for it.

There are plenty of things you will find you will print. Tools for connectors. Tools for the extruder gears. Bowden release tools. Plus other stuff. Build plate holders. Etc.
Hot ends I agree with. All the others? I've had a X1 since pretty much beginning and am still running on the same original plate. The other items are nice, but not a real need rush out and have them stocked up on. I've replaced the cool plate sticker once when it developed a bubble.

Have another rocket buddy who has an X1, and he's printed out every known tool I think. I printed out two tools, one I used a few times and pitched which was the scrapper. The second one, which is a bit overkill, I've used once to replace the cool plate sticker and it worked 'ok' for that. Some of the tools are nice, but none are required, and there are a lot of them that the community has created! So print them based on your needs, etc.

I've been running this new machine pretty much 24/7 since it arrived this week. Extra filament spool pieces, small riser clips, desiccant boxes for the AMS, multi color toys for my kids, etc. Mine came with the textured PEI plate, and I've run several different types of PLA and PETG on it......all without glue stick and without any lifting or failures.

Next up is to get one of the smooth plates. I have the 'When to use glue stick" chart already printed out and sitting beside the machine.

** Any recommendations on which of the Bambu or aftermarket smooth plate is most useful?

I've been running this new machine pretty much 24/7 since it arrived this week. Extra filament spool pieces, small riser clips, desiccant boxes for the AMS, multi color toys for my kids, etc. Mine came with the textured PEI plate, and I've run several different types of PLA and PETG on it......all without glue stick and without any lifting or failures.

Next up is to get one of the smooth plates. I have the 'When to use glue stick" chart already printed out and sitting beside the machine.

** Any recommendations on which of the Bambu or aftermarket smooth plate is most useful?
Get the dual sided pei orthe Hot plate with engineering surface on the other side. Both are reasonable price. Could get both. The dual sided pei is basically 2hot plates one on each side.

Hot ends I agree with. All the others? I've had a X1 since pretty much beginning and am still running on the same original plate. The other items are nice, but not a real need rush out and have them stocked up on. I've replaced the cool plate sticker once when it developed a bubble.

Have another rocket buddy who has an X1, and he's printed out every known tool I think. I printed out two tools, one I used a few times and pitched which was the scrapper. The second one, which is a bit overkill, I've used once to replace the cool plate sticker and it worked 'ok' for that. Some of the tools are nice, but none are required, and there are a lot of them that the community has created! So print them based on your needs, etc.
Ive seen the ptfe tubes wear especially inside the AMS unit due to the shapes. Thus why good idea to keep it on hand. Having the hardened gear for the hot end opens up a bunch more materials.

Alot of it also depends on how much and what you are ptining. If you get a extruder clog its also nice to swap the extruder and carry on then fix the extruder you took out. Ive seen plenty of people wear out a build surface again... depending on use. Id rather have some things then have a printer not useable waiting on a part especially if it should happen to be on backorder with a month delay time. Having such a closed loop system makes that a potential issue as ive seen many experience.

As far as tools. I didnt print much of the stuff thats on the SD card. Most of the ones i use are from the community.

Latest posts

Back