3D Printing Different filament needed for hyper speed FDM printing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, with the path forward in upgrading my Ender 3 Pro with Klipper, that’s ignited the passion for another printer. Something in the P1P/Mk4 category that has baseline speeds in the hyper category. My friend next door has an Ender 3 went from 50mm/sec to 125mm/sec with similar acceptable quality, but at that it's maxed out. Significant improvement to be sure, but still a bed slinger and not a ground up Klipper design.

But, I’m reading some things about needing filament that is made to print that fast. I mostly use PLA (Hatchbox or Overture) for what I’m doing, nothing exotic and mostly name brands. Looking over spec sheets, lots of it says 50-70mm sec. Is that just a legacy recommendation based on conventional designs?

Those of you who own/print with a hyper speed machine, what has been your experience?

What do you use and what do you recommend (printer or filament)?

I have a Bambu Lab P1P and I've used Bambu's PLA and ABS and also Polymaker's PLA and ABS. In general, people seem to use all kinds of filament brands in their Bambu Lab units. The Polymaker filaments are rated (by Polymaker) at around 60-70mm/s and the Bambu runs them at 200mm/s or higher. The Bambu slicer seems to run the extruder hotter than usual in order to get the required power into the filament. As you mentioned, there are newer "high speed" filaments coming out that reportedly melt easier/faster but I believe they're not required until you start pushing speeds to the 300-600mm/s range.

Randy

I have a Bambu Lab P1P and I've used Bambu's PLA and ABS and also Polymaker's PLA and ABS. In general, people seem to use all kinds of filament brands in their Bambu Lab units. The Polymaker filaments are rated (by Polymaker) at around 60-70mm/s and the Bambu runs them at 200mm/s or higher. The Bambu slicer seems to run the extruder hotter than usual in order to get the required power into the filament. As you mentioned, there are newer "high speed" filaments coming out that reportedly melt easier/faster but I believe they're not required until you start pushing speeds to the 300-600mm/s range.

Randy
Thanks for that insight

Prusa does not mention any different filament for the MK4. I print w Overture PLA and PETG w stock configuration. The slicer does increase nozzle temp to 230* F for PLA (normally 215*)

I run my Prusa MK3s printers at 80-120mm/sec with stock firmware and normal ABS filament (Microcenter brand).

I need to make sure that my nozzles are in good shape and if anything is out of whack I do get some resonance lines so should probably move over to Bambu Labs units with the anti-resonance features.

So, with the path forward in upgrading my Ender 3 Pro with Klipper, that’s ignited the passion for another printer. Something in the P1P/Mk4 category that has baseline speeds in the hyper category. My friend next door has an Ender 3 went from 50mm/sec to 125mm/sec with similar acceptable quality, but at that it's maxed out. Significant improvement to be sure, but still a bed slinger and not a ground up Klipper design.

But, I’m reading some things about needing filament that is made to print that fast. I mostly use PLA (Hatchbox or Overture) for what I’m doing, nothing exotic and mostly name brands. Looking over spec sheets, lots of it says 50-70mm sec. Is that just a legacy recommendation based on conventional designs?

Those of you who own/print with a hyper speed machine, what has been your experience?

What do you use and what do you recommend (printer or filament)?

I would say that a bed slinger as you put it is the cause of any concern when it comes to printing. A quality printer with a stiff frame can function as well as a Core XY. The key to fast printing is a light E-axis and a stiff frame.

Great question Tom! Thanks for asking as I will follow along with the same interest. I also wonder if the new faster printers require a different nozzle like the Bondtech Volcano or will any old nozzle do?

Great question Tom! Thanks for asking as I will follow along with the same interest. I also wonder if the new faster printers require a different nozzle like the Bondtech Volcano or will any old nozzle do?
This is really all about volumetric flow capabilities of nozzle. Volumetric flow increases if you use larger nozzles (extrusion width), greater layer height, and increased speed. Often the Volcano or similar nozzles / hotends are rated for higher volumetric flow.

"The Maximum volumetric speed setting (MVS) is one of the most powerful features in PrusaSlicer. The MVS setting essentially creates a manager for the maximum amount of filament that the slicer will attempt to push through your 3D printer’s hotend.

This gives PrusaSlicer users a huge advantage. Rather than trying to calculate a range of speeds for combinations of different nozzle sizes, layer heights or extrusion widths, you can simply specify the speeds and settings you desire, then let MVS regulate speeds at slice time when and only if necessary.

Max volumetric speed = Layer Height × Extrusion Width × Speed

Independent MVS values can be set under both Print settings and Filament settings. In your print profile, you'll typically have an all-around default value based on your hotend hardware. In filament profiles, you can adjust MVS as needed to account for filament characteristics, e.g. decrease it for FLEX filaments (so you won't have to create a new print profile for flexible filaments, just a filament profile)."

Back