3D Printing New Bambu Printers for 20 September

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I have done some digging and the 20th is supposed to be a multicolor printing for everyone.

https://all3dp.com/4/bambu-lab-teases-new-multicolor-system-but-what-is-it-really/
All3dp claims it is a multi-head hotend. That is an interesting idea. That would lean toward something that is not a printer at all.

I have heard some say it is an XL. That does not fit with the official announcement of multicolor printing for everyone.

On jul 9th:

https://forum.bambulab.com/t/is-an-xl-size-x1cc-coming-soon-stumbled-over-a-yt-video/19418
The P1S was clearly already released. I guess anyting is possible, but I doubt this anouncement is just an XL. If they realse the XL version of the X1C, it will be in additional to the current anouncement that they are hinting at.

Lastly:

Both

and

https://3dprinteracademy.com/blogs/...what-is-bambu-lab-releasing-on-september-20th
Point to a smaller printer for the masses. What does this tell us? There is a lot of conjecture and we will fin out on the 20th. Who know, we might see 2-3 new items anounced.

The A1 seems to be targeted at people making figurines and other small, multi-color, detailed objects such as chess pieces. Not much utility for me and how I use a 3D printer for rocketry. Does it make small multi-color printing more affordable? It does. Is that what I was looking for? Not at all. A gap in their product lineup still remains - no large format printer. They must have market analysis showing the smaller build capacity was more attractive than the large format printer. They also clearly believe multi-color is something that will differentiate their products from others. All of their offerings have an option for multi-color capability.

I hate that I used the term "Bed slinger". That term is used, by many, as an insult toward traditional cartesian 3D printers. One thing that the Mk4 has taught me, is that a good cartesian can work as well as a Core XY with the right firmware.

As for color printing, I have little use for it. I prefer multi-material capabilities like the XL. Multi-color is a nice to have. Multi-material expands your capabilities. I do not think it is capable of this.

The A1 is a good starter printer for some. It would good for low and mid power rocketry parts also.

I hate that I used the term "Bed slinger". That term is used, by many, as an insult toward traditional cartesian 3D printers. One thing that the Mk4 has taught me, is that a good cartesian can work as well as a Core XY with the right firmware.

One advantage that a CoreXY has over a cartesian is that the input shaping that's required stays consistent over the entirety of the print. With a cartesian, as the print builds, the Y axis mass increases so theoretically the input shaping should be adjusted as the print proceeds.

Randy

As for color printing, I have little use for it. I prefer multi-material capabilities like the XL. Multi-color is a nice to have. Multi-material expands your capabilities. I do not think it is capable of this.
That's a good point about "multi-material" capability. I wanted a MM capable unit so I could use dissolvable supports. Turns out, I didn't need color or MM as much as I thought I did. Fortunately I figured this out at the On-Base lab before buying on for myself.

Having said that, given the more useful changes to slicer software, I'm hoping someone will print an object that uses both, say, PLA and ABS for the item. Things like threaded inserts or bump stops could all be used in an object for "wear areas" or other type things. Still not sure how much that would be really needed. What comes to mind is being able to print a rocket that has LW-PLA for everything but the motor retention all in one shot...

One advantage that a CoreXY has over a cartesian is that the input shaping that's required stays consistent over the entirety of the print. With a cartesian, as the print builds, the Y axis mass increases so theoretically the input shaping should be adjusted as the print proceeds.

Randy
That is only true with a crappy cartesian. If it has a strong frame, it is less or not an issue at all.

Back