3D Printing Bought my first ever 3d printer. Bambu Labs P1S. Could use some advice on getting started

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@OzHybrid Can you explain bed slinger and core XY?
Bed slinger... the bed moved forward and back with the object on it. Accelerating the actual print, stopping it and reversing as the head moves in the x direction on a gantry that moves up. As you get taller this puts more and more load on the object and tests out your bed adhesion more and more.
Core XY.... the head moves in the XY direction and the printed object descends on the bed. Less motion on the print, better quality, usually....

Not seeing how it's derogatory. It slings the bed with the components on it from front to back. At 80mm / sec on a 200 dia object it's spectacular.
Most people use it to indicate an inferior product, but a well made cartesian printer does not need to be CORE XY.

Bed slinger vs coreXY is just one of many design options that can affect print performance. There are many, many videos showing bed slingers producing equivalent results as a coreXY machine in a wide array of conditions. There are likely to be some printing scenarios where one particular machine type is superior to another and vice versa. Like many things, a critical factor in deciding what printer to get is how you intend to use it and what your budget is. I don't think the answer is ever as simple as "get coreXY" or "get a bedslinger".

Note - both of my printer purchases have been coreXY style but I didn't chose them because they were coreXY.

So you've both talked about bed slingers vs CoreXY... but you both still call them 'bed slingers'. What do you call them if you don't mean to use a derogatory term?

Never mind, I looked it up (Have '3D Printer Engineering' book on the shelf). What you're usually talking about is a "Y-bed, serial ZX-extruder Cartesian" aka a 'Mendel design'. The first is a mouthful and the second would get a lot of blank stares nowadays. I think it's normally going to be called a bedslinger; it's just too descriptive to avoid. Oh, there's also a shorthand that calls it a ZX,Y' or ZY,X' which are descriptive, but not going to trip off the tongue.

It's a great book and I'm surprised the niche item is still available: https://www.amazon.com/3D-Printer-Engineering-Motion-Platform/dp/B0BR1T4F53/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1D1H9MFZD63LP&keywords=3d+printer+engineering&qid=1701548289&s=books&sprefix=3d+printer+engineering,stripbooks,181&sr=1-1

It's too bad he's never gotten around to finishing a Volume 2. I know he was working on it.

Last edited:
I call it a bed slinger. It describes accurately the action of printing on that type of machine. If anyone takes offence at that, then thier anthropmorphisation of tha machines feelings might be an indicator of how close we are to human machines........:)

I never took "bed slinger" as derogatory, more as affectionate. (Especially knowing how Prusa owners are so fiercely partisan.)

I never took "bed slinger" as derogatory, more as affectionate. (Especially knowing how Prusa owners are so fiercely partisan.)
I will tell you that my Prusa with a cartesian will print just as fast as a core XY X1C. It only affects performance when it is inferiorly.

Show us your prints. Watchya been makin....?

Not that ive made a lot.. im still trying to figure out using CAD programs and what i prefer. Most of what ive worked on is getting to know, use and work withthe slicer software its functions. Different materials. Figuring out how to have success and failure with each one, how to make it better with the slicer. Using alteady designed prints for various things be it add ons, upgrades to the machines. Or other stuff trying to improve. So far ive worked with PLA, PLA +, PETG, TPU, ABS, ASA, CF filaments and now playing with Nylon.

But i will post some things ive made when i get home later.

Not that ive made a lot.. im still trying to figure out using CAD programs and what i prefer. Most of what ive worked on is getting to know, use and work withthe slicer software its functions. Different materials. Figuring out how to have success and failure with each one, how to make it better with the slicer. Using alteady designed prints for various things be it add ons, upgrades to the machines. Or other stuff trying to improve. So far ive worked with PLA, PLA +, PETG, TPU, ABS, ASA, CF filaments and now playing with Nylon.

But i will post some things ive made when i get home later.
Wellllll. We've all made a ball of string. Including Chuck...... Even if he denys it.... :)
But if you're going straight to printing nylon after what 3 weeks, then printers have come a looooong way.

Wellllll. We've all made a ball of string. Including Chuck...... Even if he denys it.... :)
But if you're going straight to printing nylon after what 3 weeks, then printers have come a looooong way.

The printer works extremely well. I think it probably also helps learning the material, requirements for the material, settings and finding out personally what works for you and your set up. That has been my focus to start more so than the design in cad right off the bat.

The printer works extremely well. I think it probably also helps learning the material, requirements for the material, settings and finding out personally what works for you and your set up. That has been my focus to start more so than the design in cad right off the bat.
This is spot on with my own experience. Possibly the most important thing to learn is how to analyze your own prints and what parameters are influencing what you are producing. I have a recipe for each material (pla, petg, etc) but I frequently make tweaks from that baseline recipe depending on what I am printing. It does seem like I do this less with my P1S than I did with my Ender 5+ but it's still required to achieve the best quality possible. I can get acceptable output on the P1S without tweaks but I normally try for the best I can achieve.

Last edited:
Back