NSL 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am planning on driving to NSL. Here's what I was planning to bring:
  • Rockets - obviously.
  • Money for the vendors
  • Motors
  • Range box
  • Cameras (still + video)
  • Sunscreen
  • Skeeter repellant
  • Hat
  • More money for the vendors
Did I forget anything?

Should I bring my own launch controller or pad? Are there rack launchers, or is it misfire alley?
Are there pads that can handle monocopters? (Stubby 1/4"x1" launch rod, spaced far enough apart to not hit neighboring rod or rockets)

If I wanted to fly an R/C glider, will that be be okay?

I am planning on driving to NSL. Here's what I was planning to bring:
  • Rockets - obviously.
  • Money for the vendors
  • Motors
  • Range box
  • Cameras (still + video)
  • Sunscreen
  • Skeeter repellant
  • Hat
  • More money for the vendors
Did I forget anything?

Should I bring my own launch controller or pad? Are there rack launchers, or is it misfire alley?
Are there pads that can handle monocopters? (Stubby 1/4"x1" launch rod, spaced far enough apart to not hit neighboring rod or rockets)

If I wanted to fly an R/C glider, will that be be okay?

Monkey's on the loose!

Bob--the host club has to pony up for launch gear each year, so the setup will vary, but you definitely do not need to bring your own pad/launcher. There probably would not be anything for monocopters, though, so if you're thinking about flying one of those Applewhite jobs, plan on bringing the little pad in that case.

R/C would also generally not be a problem, though you might want to nag them about pin control. I doubt there would be many R/C models at all, but if there are two you can count on the other guy being same frequency as you...

Did I forget anything?

You need more money. ;) :p

Are there rack launchers, or is it misfire alley?

I sure hope it isn't a miss-fire alley setup. :y:

I can't imagine they would set it up like that because I have to believe there will be waaaaay too many people to make that practical. If you look at WOOSH's pictures off their web site it looks like they have oodles of club pads to fly off of.

-Dave

There have been careful plans to ensure that people can fly low power while high power racks are being loaded, and in general to make sure that flyers don't have to wait too long to fly. Of course there'll be snafus here and there, but there should be plenty of pads to fly from, adequate control for those pads (from a central box at the rangehead), and so on. There are some new racks, and we've flown off of them at club launches to make sure they're okay.

No arrangements have been made for monocopter pads, and if you're planning to fly one you'll want to talk to Scott when you arrive. Bring whatever kind of pad you need. We'll figure out how to accommodate it. I imagine we'll have you set it up out by the first row of HPR pads and fly from there, using one of those controllers.

Re. RC, I don't remember the subject coming up. There is an RC field at Bong, and we certainly don't want to screw them up - very bad relations for WOOSH. I think they're probably way out of range (I estimate about 1.4 miles), but it shouldn't be taken casually. They'll be downwind, probably, so a _really_ good flight could drift into range of their area, I suppose (though I think it'd be mighty unlikely). Again, if you plan to fly RC, be sure to give the organizers plenty of warning, and I'm sure something can be figured out. It's probably worth asking people in general who plan to fly RC to let Scott know that when you show up. Maybe write it next to your name at registration? If there is more than one, yeah, some kind of coordination will be necessary.

It rained pretty heavily here last Thursday evening, and I drove from the Bong area up to Milwaukee in a torrential downpour. There is some flooding around Kenosha, though nothing bad right now. Out at Bong there will be wet areas that you might find yourself walking through to recover rockets. A second pair of shoes and socks might be a good idea. It should be typical Bong - I'm not saying that conditions are unusually bad, but it IS a prairie, and it IS spring.

It's pretty cold here now, which should keep the skeeters down, unless it gets nice this week. I haven't had any problem with them down there yet.

No arrangements have been made for monocopter pads, and if you're planning to fly one you'll want to talk to Scott when you arrive. Bring whatever kind of pad you need. We'll figure out how to accommodate it. I imagine we'll have you set it up out by the first row of HPR pads and fly from there, using one of those controllers.

I'm going to feel pretty silly taking up an HPR slot with my 'A'-powered monocopter. :rolleyes:

Re. RC, I don't remember the subject coming up. There is an RC field at Bong, and we certainly don't want to screw them up - very bad relations for WOOSH. I think they're probably way out of range (I estimate about 1.4 miles), but it shouldn't be taken casually. They'll be downwind, probably, so a _really_ good flight could drift into range of their area, I suppose (though I think it'd be mighty unlikely). Again, if you plan to fly RC, be sure to give the organizers plenty of warning, and I'm sure something can be figured out. It's probably worth asking people in general who plan to fly RC to let Scott know that when you show up. Maybe write it next to your name at registration? If there is more than one, yeah, some kind of coordination will be necessary.
I wuoldn't expect interference between rocketeers to be a big problem. There are so few who fly R/C, and our flights tend to be pretty short.

I would worry more about interfering with the R/C club. They have lots of flyers, stay up for long flights, and could suffer a lot more damage if they are interfered with.

I may just leave my R/C stuff at home. It's pretty bulky and doesn't take kindly to luggage shifting around in the back of the van.

A second pair of shoes and socks might be a good idea.
Yeah, I was thinking I should have added that to my list.

When Mike Vande Bunt flew his Arcie a few years ago he had no rc interferance trouble that we knew about. Had a great flight too.
If you want to fly RC and coordinate freq's with the RC airplane guys for a specific time slot that would be wise. It's up to you to contact them. You will see their area as you drive into the park. I believe it is parking lot "D".
We do have a dry erase board for those who use radio trackers in their rockets. There is lot's of that at Midwest power each year. Nothing like finding somebody elses rocket for them.

We have all the pads and GSE anyone could possibly need until you start talking about towers and other odd stuff. TWA and TQC are helping with pads but we own the second half of the Midwest Power launch system now and another older system that might be employed to power up the old circle of death as I affectionately call it. The circle of death is a circle of low power pads that are spaced 15' apart and 30' across from each other in a circle. You load from outside the circle and can fill and fire non stop.

I still haven't heard from anyone that plans to fly any hybrids.
The cost of N2O has gone up since we published rates on the website though so appropriate payment for gas is to be worked out.

SG

When Mike Vande Bunt flew his Arcie a few years ago he had no rc interferance trouble that we knew about. Had a great flight too.
If you want to fly RC and coordinate freq's with the RC airplane guys for a specific time slot that would be wise. It's up to you to contact them. You will see their area as you drive into the park. I believe it is parking lot "D".
We do have a dry erase board for those who use radio trackers in their rockets. There is lot's of that at Midwest power each year. Nothing like finding somebody elses rocket for them.

We have all the pads and GSE anyone could possibly need until you start talking about towers and other odd stuff. TWA and TQC are helping with pads but we own the second half of the Midwest Power launch system now and another older system that might be employed to power up the old circle of death as I affectionately call it. The circle of death is a circle of low power pads that are spaced 15' apart and 30' across from each other in a circle. You load from outside the circle and can fill and fire non stop.

I still haven't heard from anyone that plans to fly any hybrids.
The cost of N2O has gone up since we published rates on the website though so appropriate payment for gas is to be worked out.

SG

Bobcox,

I will bring my monocopter pad, as I intend to bring a monocopter or two myself. It is an old NCR PVC tri-leg design that that has a standard 1/4" stud sticking up 1/2" or so. Works well for low-mid power monocopters.

If you're flying 72mhz, definitely stop by the r/c field on the way to the launch site. Like Scott said, you pass it on the way to the runway, easy to stop by. If you're on 2.4ghz, no worries!!!

-Eric-

Does anyone have a heads up on the weather for the weekend?
If it is pretty we are camping, if not we are hoteling.

I checked this morning, since it's the first time we're likely to have a forecast that's remotely accurate. It looks to be good for Saturday and Sunday, with nothing moving in until during the day on Monday. I'll believe it when I see it, of course.

It's beautiful here (Milwaukee) today, though there was frost (yup) on the grass in the woods this morning. But it should be quite a bit warmer as the week goes on, with upper 60s predicted for the weekend.

The best news is that there's no rain predicted during the week except possibly a little tomorrow. That'll give things a chance to dry out a bit.

:w:

That is good news, and our park stickers came in the mail yesterday!
A few days, a VERY long drive and we'll be there.

Snipped from a Southern Thunder thread far far away and a long long time ago but possibly relevant to this one...

...I will be checking for Tripoli ID cards.Last year we had a NAR guy try to slip in a flight on us...

One can fly and Cert with a Tripoly card at NSL...right? Or is that just an EX thing?:confused:

See ya Saturday regardless...:)

Yo Talkin'

You can most certainly certify Tripoli at a NAR launch; you must however find a Tripoli Prefect to witness your L1/L2 cert flight. A prefect (may be the same or different person) must also administer your L2 exam and sign off that you have passed it prior to attempting your cert 2 flight. I can help you out Saturday or Sunday.

L3 is a different animal.

-Eric-

Weather should be great according to the weather man. Sat is 65 partly sunny and a 4-7 mph ENE wind. With all the mono copter talk I will have to get the 7 engine "Monoclus Maximus" ready. Should be a great weekend!

TalkinMonkey,

ECayemberg is right about the certification stuff so you should be good to go. What I believe your qouted text was about was the Research day. If you are not a Tripoli member you are not allowed to fly or be in the prep areas during a Research launch. Doing so would void insurance coverage. So a NAR flier cannot fly on Research days. Plus, you know how Mr. Murphy works, the lone NAR flier would be the one to ballistically recover through someone's car!

I checked this morning, since it's the first time we're likely to have a forecast that's remotely accurate. It looks to be good for Saturday and Sunday, with nothing moving in until during the day on Monday. I'll believe it when I see it, of course.

It's beautiful here (Milwaukee) today, though there was frost (yup) on the grass in the woods this morning. But it should be quite a bit warmer as the week goes on, with upper 60s predicted for the weekend.

The best news is that there's no rain predicted during the week except possibly a little tomorrow. That'll give things a chance to dry out a bit.

The weather forecast is awesome. That front that came through last Friday night was pretty crazy but it is supposed to be in the 60's and mild all weekend till a slight chance for some weather Monday. The best part is that we'll actually be able to view stars at the stargazing night Saturday evening.
I was a little worried about that when we planned it.
Scott G

The weather forecast is awesome. That front that came through last Friday night was pretty crazy but it is supposed to be in the 60's and mild all weekend till a slight chance for some weather Monday. The best part is that we'll actually be able to view stars at the stargazing night Saturday evening.
I was a little worried about that when we planned it.
Scott G

If you're staying out at the field overnight, you'll have some beautiful views of Jupiter and later Venus in the morning as well.

I'm planning to do that Saturday night stargazing excursion too. It sounds like a really great opportunity. Thanks to Dave (right?) for arranging it.

Folks, I hope everyone enjoys themself and has a fantastic time!!! I want to see tons and tons of pictures.

I unfortunately have to drop out due to healthcare issues with my son.

Wish I could make it but unfortunately I am right in the middle of "the learning curve" on Excelsior Rocketry.

I don't want to stop now.;)

Folks, I hope everyone enjoys themself and has a fantastic time!!! I want to see tons and tons of pictures.

I unfortunately have to drop out due to healthcare issues with my son.

Oh crud Troy....
That sucks on both accounts. Guess Trudy will have to leave that "White Dress" behind.
:(

Keep us posted on the boy.

Layne,

The offer's still here if you want lunch in St. Louis coming or going.

I tell you what, I'll even take you guys and show you how F-15s, F/A-18s, and T-45s are made.

Layne,

The offer's still here if you want lunch in St. Louis coming or going.

I tell you what, I'll even take you guys and show you how F-15s, F/A-18s, and T-45s are made.

OH MAN!!!
That would be Shweet!
COuld we do it Friday Morning?
*happy happy*
*joy joy*

PM on the way

So here's what I'm bringing to the NSL this Sunday. Just concentrate on the rockets and not the messy garage.....my daughter is home from college and took over Dad's space as a storage unit.

DSC02084.JPG

So here's what I'm bringing to the NSL this Sunday. Just concentrate on the rockets and not the messy garage.....my daughter is home from college and took over Dad's space as a storage unit.

Are you on our mailing list?

https://www.foxvalleyrocketeers.org

I realize that might be a drive, but we've got a small, but decent club out in sorta, kinda your neck of the woods.

Look for us at the NSL; we're trying to get all our folks together and it would be nice to meet you.

Martin, Nice fleet; can't wait to see all the nice birds fly!

Just finished up the Wildman Jr. for NSL. It'll fly single deploy only this weekend.

-Eric-
5-20-09084.jpg

I'm not on your list yet. I've often thought about coming your way for a launch. I've been to Bong before and also MWP a couple of times. Unfortunaty I'm about a 2 hr drive from any club or organization. I did my L-2 at MWP3 with Duayne Goza and since then my NAR card reads NARQC. I hope to meet up with you guys also.

Eric...Nice looking Wildman jr.

Back