NSL 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a NAR member, I'm a little disappointed that the L1 contest is going to be "invite only." Frankly, that's kind of ridiculous but it's your launch, run it how you want. Another thing I was wondering about, are there going to be any other motor vendors there other than Wildman? I can't believe he'll be the only motor vendor at a national event like this. No offense but the NSL 2009 web site needs some updating.

-DAllen

I have two members emailing and calling vendors.
They have yet to report back on additional HP motor vendors.
I will light a fire under them.

https://www.nsl2009.org/

Who's going? Will there be PM beerlofting? (National events in Wisconsin have yet to disappoint me in this regard.) :rolleyes::cool:
We're usually at our place up north over Memorial weekend. If we don't go up for whatever reason, I plan on showing up on Saturday. I'll bring some New Glarus with me again. Tell Mr. McCrate to leave the skunky stuff at home this time. :D

With all do respect, it seems like you may be in over your heads. Invitation only on the L-1 scramble? Why do rocketeers from all over the country want to sit and watch you and your pals play? If the hangup was only 6 kits, then simply ask for an entry fee to cover the cost of the parts. I am sure LOC would have gladly provided more "kits" as long as they were getting paid for them. The club I belong to had 3 teams ready to participate, but we have no relationship with you or your club so I guess the 12 of us are out.

As far as vendors, I would sure hope you had a variety of vendors, not just Wildman. This is the premier sport event for NAR, not a club or Regional launch. Maybe those launches are better for you and you cohorts to play your rocket games. I am sorry that I sound negative about something that should be an awesome and enjoyable experience for everyone, but I am not sure your chapter has the right mindset for hosting a launch of this size. At NSL 2008, there were no less than a dozen vendors, several of which were selling motors. There was a great sense of inclusion, enjoyment, and excitement, and the build up for several months prior to the launch had the same feel.

In closing, I want to reiterate, by hosting this launch, you are the face of NAR for the entire year to sport flyers. That is a pretty large responsibility. I think it is important for you to have open lines of communication and inclusion. A fellow rocketeer has said he has e-mailed you with some of the same concerns I have and you have not responded. Again, you are representing the National club we all send our money to each year, not just your local chapter. Please keep that in mind as you plan the rest of your NSL activities.

Scott...I see that the NSL website has not been updated since you last reported and nothing new has been posted here so I assume nothing has changed. I know several HPR and LPR motor vendors. Would you like me to send them emails or make some phone calls to see if they want to come? You won't have to light a fire under me. ;)

-DAllen

Scott...I see that the NSL website has not been updated since you last reported and nothing new has been posted here so I assume nothing has changed. I know several HPR and LPR motor vendors. Would you like me to send them emails or make some phone calls to see if they want to come? You won't have to light a fire under me. ;)

-DAllen

Thanks for volunteering.
Brent Lillesand is heading up the effort.
Before making calls to encourage more vendor participation please check with him to see if he has already been in touch with the folks you have in mind.
I believe that his email address is
[email protected]

https://www.nsl2009.org/special.php

Only 6 kits? I'm sorry but I am going to have to agree with ab-n-dad. That's really disappointing. I would've happily paid a nominal fee to LOC and WOOSH to participate in that contest. Let's see here...5 people per team...$30 per person...$150 per team for $80 of LOC parts and $70 going to WOOSH. Oh-well...guess you miss out on the revenue. Kinda silly if you ask me.

And if you are worried about volunteers monitor the builders...then change the scope of the contest to there not be any prize money just bragging rights. You know, just for fun? If you weren't going to have it open to the public then you should not have posted it on the web site.

-DAllen

With all do respect, it seems like you may be in over your heads. Invitation only on the L-1 scramble? Why do rocketeers from all over the country want to sit and watch you and your pals play? If the hangup was only 6 kits, then simply ask for an entry fee to cover the cost of the parts. I am sure LOC would have gladly provided more "kits" as long as they were getting paid for them. The club I belong to had 3 teams ready to participate, but we have no relationship with you or your club so I guess the 12 of us are out.

Let's see, 6 teams of four people each = 24.
That is six tables, six canopies, and at least seven volunteers to watch them and do the saftey check in. Not to mention the fact that there will be spectators who might want to watch. Never mind the fact that there is an actual rocket launch going on at the same time that all this is going on.
When I limited it to six teams I had logistics in mind. Please understand that this was never going to be open to all comers. We still have the Saturn mass launch and the secret payload duration events open to everyone. Enjoy the launch and have some fun.

As far as vendors, I would sure hope you had a variety of vendors, not just Wildman. This is the premier sport event for NAR, not a club or Regional launch. Maybe those launches are better for you and you cohorts to play your rocket games. I am sorry that I sound negative about something that should be an awesome and enjoyable experience for everyone, but I am not sure your chapter has the right mindset for hosting a launch of this size. At NSL 2008, there were no less than a dozen vendors, several of which were selling motors. There was a great sense of inclusion, enjoyment, and excitement, and the build up for several months prior to the launch had the same feel.

You must be joking.
Perhaps you missed NARCON 2004, 2005, 2006.

In closing, I want to reiterate, by hosting this launch, you are the face of NAR for the entire year to sport flyers. That is a pretty large responsibility. I think it is important for you to have open lines of communication and inclusion. A fellow rocketeer has said he has e-mailed you with some of the same concerns I have and you have not responded. Again, you are representing the National club we all send our money to each year, not just your local chapter. Please keep that in mind as you plan the rest of your NSL activities.

He actually didn't ask any questions just ranted on. I think that you guys need to concentrate on having fun at the launches you go to and stop assuming so much about what other people have going on.

Thanks for volunteering.
Brent Lillesand is heading up the effort.
Before making calls to encourage more vendor participation please check with him to see if he has already been in touch with the folks you have in mind.
I believe that his email address is
[email protected]

Email sent to Brent. As I told Brent I am currently on seasonal layoff from my job so is there anything else you guys need help with? Unfortunately, I live on the opposite side of Lake Michigan from Bong but there might be a few things I can do.

I'm sorry if I seem like a whiny pain in the posterior about that contest but I was really disappointed when I found out it was going to be invite only. Mmmkay...I'm done giving you a hard time about it. ;)

-DAllen

See, I knew there would be a lot of pent up demand for a big NAR sport rocketry event in the midwest, with lots of volunteers stepping up to help!

Thanks, Dave!

--tc

I'm sorry if I seem like a whiny pain in the posterior about that contest but I was really disappointed when I found out it was going to be invite only. Mmmkay...I'm done giving you a hard time about it. ;)

-DAllen[/QUOTE]

I understand that it is disappointing. It would be even more disappointing if we had opened it up to everyone and then not been able to produce.
An event like this is going to be a lot of fun to watch too. I'm happy to be staying out of it myself.

It's time to put this away and start writing about all grand rocket flights everyone is planning.

Just tried to purchase stickers and pay launch fees online but Paypal flashes this message.

"This recipient is currently unable to receive money."

Anyone know what is up?

Heck, if anyone's having problems in giving money to someone - let me know. I'll be more than happy to provide you my mailing address for any cash you'd like to send. In return I'll name a piece of sand, on my local river, after you or your loved ones.

There are issues with paypal right now because our treasurer had a run in with identity theft.
He will likely have it fixed in the next couple days but I understand that paypal is not exactly customer service driven.
In the meantime if you can find a stamp please go ahead and mail in your registration.
One last reminder. April 28th is coming fast. After our block of rooms is released on that date it may become difficult to find a hotel room in the area.
Book your room now.

Save me a SS Baracuda kit Bob.
I'll see you at NSL for it.
That is so cool.

Dave from Red Arrow si saposed to be there with my stuff but just incase I'll bring A "cudda" for you.
Mr. Bob
Starlight Hampster

We are debating on camping vs. hotels and wanted to make sure the Bong Group Campsite F, has flush facilites and showers.
:confused:

I'm searching the Bong website with no luck yet.

Anybody know?

From the home page:

"All motors with 62.5 grams of propellant weight or larger must be preordered before the launch. These motors will not be available onsite."

Why? I am going to guess this is a park rule.

-Dave

From the home page:

"All motors with 62.5 grams of propellant weight or larger must be preordered before the launch. These motors will not be available onsite."

Why? I am going to guess this is a park rule.

-Dave

The ATF requires all motors vendors to sell them from their listed place of business. They reject the notion of a trailer being a place of business as that is not the address they have listed on their licence.
Therefore everyone needs to call their favorite motor vendor and order one of everything in advance.

We are debating on camping vs. hotels and wanted to make sure the Bong Group Campsite F, has flush facilites and showers.
:confused:

I'm searching the Bong website with no luck yet.

Anybody know?

The group camping site has pit toilets nearby.
You would have to drive or walk (depends on how bad you gotta go) to the regular campground in order to find a flush toilet and showers.
Thankfully they have two brand new restroom facilities pretty close to the launch area. When I camp there for our summer events we hit the new showers that are located at the entrance to Sunset campground in the morning and then head out to the range and cook breakfast for early birds there. These are the best showers in the campground. The other new restroom is in Parking lot "E" which has a picnic pavilion, an old pit toilet restroom, and a new flush restroom. I suppose that they will tear down the old restroom someday.

The ATF requires all motors vendors to sell them from their listed place of business. They reject the notion of a trailer being a place of business as that is not the address they have listed on their licence.
Therefore everyone needs to call their favorite motor vendor and order one of everything in advance.

So we order them and pick up the motors there?

The group camping site has pit toilets nearby.
You would have to drive or walk (depends on how bad you gotta go) to the regular campground in order to find a flush toilet and showers.
Thankfully they have two brand new restroom facilities pretty close to the launch area. When I camp there for our summer events we hit the new showers that are located at the entrance to Sunset campground in the morning and then head out to the range and cook breakfast for early birds there. These are the best showers in the campground. The other new restroom is in Parking lot "E" which has a picnic pavilion, an old pit toilet restroom, and a new flush restroom. I suppose that they will tear down the old restroom someday.

In that case we can bring our own camp shower, if the park will allow that.
Thanks for the info.

Just called the host hotel. All rooms/rates are fully booked.

Several of the other hotels listed on the website are right there at the same highway exit (I-94 & Hwy 50). The NSL site identifies those hotels. NSL is Memorial Day weekend, but I assume that there are still rooms available at some of those hotels.

Of all the other hotels at the I94/Hwy 50 intersection the Best Western is the next best one.
We toured all of them last year before deciding on the Country Inns and Suites. The Best Western is newly remodeled, has a great breakfast, and rates are very close to the Country Inns and Suites.

So we order them and pick up the motors there?

Exactly, The ATF wants that to be the way the business is done.
It won't make much differance if they don't appeal the lawsuit and we truly win outright but anyone who underestimates the tenacity of the ATF will likely be disappointed.

I spoke to the manager today.
The hotel still has king suite rooms available at $85 a night.
Smoking and non smoking.
Pets are OK in the smoking rooms only and will cost owners an extra $15 a night.
You must call the hotel directly to get the rooms. No 800 number, no web stuff.

Just got a Super 8 room at Pleasent Prairie/kenosha and they have more.
Phone 262-857-7963
Mr. Bob
Starlight travel service

Back