NSL 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sent my video of your flight to Mark Cymerman.
Watch for it on the website soon.
I didn't have much time for shooting video over the course of the weekend but wanted to try out my new lazer gunsight mounted to my camcorder sometime or another. It worked out pretty good on your flight.
Scott

Thanks, I'll look out for that! :)

Anybody get a shot of this rocket under power? (I didn't :( )

Attachments

• Dylan and Crapien One.jpg
    Dylan and Crapien One.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
... but wanted to try out my new lazer gunsight mounted to my camcorder ...

Scott,
Do you have a picture of your gunsight on your camcorder? I'd like to find something that works better than my viewfinder. If I zoom out too much, the rocket shrinks to a single pixel and I lose it. If I zoom in too much, it's easy to lose out of the frame, or it goes out of focus.

Garland Granzow showed me this trick at a recent TWA launch.
He had done this to a digital camera.
My Everio Hard drive camcorder doesn't have a viewfinder at all.
It is impossible to find rockets in the sky using the LCD screen. I used to be able to focus on rockets a mile in the air back when my old camcorder was in action. Something had to be done.

The gunsight is a lazer sight by Barska that is available at Gander Mountain for $80. I bought a mounting bracket that had a flat bottom at the sporting goods store. Bolted that to a chunk of aluminum that Dan K. gave me. Thanks again Dan.
Then made a stud and drilled a hole in the other end to mount to the standard tripod mounting point on the bottom of the camcorder.
I should really start a new thread on this so more folks see it. It works great.
Let me take some photo's and I'll get it up.
SG

I took some photos and wrote a short article about it.
Now that I think about it I think it was $70 not $80 for the sight.
It works,

(d) Sky Goon: From the Goonies thread here, the model really climbed out on a C6-3, but in installing the launch lug (with CA), I inadvertently glued down the elevator, so no glide.

Here's what the Sky Goon looked like after its flight. Barely a scratch on it. Like you said, the elevator did not pop up.

s Sky Goon.jpg

Hey...Anyone know the winning time for the g-gouda-cheese-loft contest? That was a great contest idea. It was a good excuse for me to fly my 4" rocket on a G185 with a 58" chute. I knew I wasn't going to win but it was fun.

-Dave

Here's what the Sky Goon looked like after its flight. Barely a scratch on it. Like you said, the elevator did not pop up.

Yep, hardly a scratch, and Scott says he's got my pod. I just gotta figure out how to get up there to pick it up.

BTW, the picture clearly shows the elevator, very nicely glued flat :(

Hey...Anyone know the winning time for the g-gouda-cheese-loft contest? That was a great contest idea. It was a good excuse for me to fly my 4" rocket on a G185 with a 58" chute. I knew I wasn't going to win but it was fun.

-Dave

Was that a green and silver rocket? If it was thanks again for the tape.

I haven't seen any results yet, but I think the guy who won got about 2 minutes.

-Dave

Yes it was 3min 27 sec if I remember correctly. Flew a mustang, straight up on a G-80 and a 24in chute.

I was over at the "other" Bong, about 1 mile 1/2 from end of runway,[other side of road J] by the wooden footbridge in a swamp, to retrieve my rocket out of a tree, to prove the flight. 3hrs and many miles of trapsing through the woods, to find, get the poles and refind the rocket.

I got back and just about everyone had left, so it was basically a me and Tim to accept the 'Box of Rocks" prize.

But I did "find" it!

I wish I would have had the time to take more video.
I never recovered my mini missile.
No time to go looking for it and even though I had built it to take a radio tracker in the payload bay I never had the time to put the tracker in it.
I can guarantee mine was one of the stable missiles. I filled the cone 1/3 full of lead the night before.
Who knows, maybe it'll still turn up this summer.
SG

Hey...I know it's a bit early to ask this but anyone know where/when the next NSL will be? I am trying to make some vacation plans for next year.

-Dave

The article(s) and pictures have been finalized.
Many thanks to Holly McCallum, Sather Ranum, Jim Moroney, and that Scott Goebel guy for all the writing done to remember what happened at NSL 2009.

The magazine will be entertaining. I could have written more but ran out of steam:bangpan:

It was a grand undertaking,
Scott

Date: May 28-31
Location Alamogordo, NM
Event: National Sport Launch
Class of Event:
Contest Events:
Sponsor: FLARE and SMRA

Chas

Let's see, planning for next year...

NARCON - not enough "action" to hold my kiddos interest.
NSL- NM too far away
NARAM - CO probably too far away to convince my wife to go.

Does anyone know where LDRS is next year or is it out west too?
Maybe we can get to Southern Thunder?

Let's see, planning for next year...

NARCON - not enough "action" to hold my kiddos interest.
NSL- NM too far away
NARAM - CO probably too far away to convince my wife to go.

Does anyone know where LDRS is next year or is it out west too?

Try something closer to home. Mario Perdue and company at ROCI run a couple HPR launches a year in Muncie, IN. Next session is Sept 19-20.

Looks like ST10 is shaping up for Father's Day weekend next year (18-20 June) should be a great time as always! I know it was brutally hot this year, but you just can't beat launching on a sod farm. :D

Nashville is close for more traditional "vacation" activities

Bonnaroo Music Festival is the weekend prior if you need a Woodstock-esque experience

Hey Scott.....I for one can't wait for the article to come out. Thanks again for everything.
Now if Sheri would just get settled in Hawaii and send me my prize I'd be a happy camper.

You probably aready knew that that photo was going to be used in the article but the cover?
It's a great shot, congrats on rocketry stardom.
Scott

Back