New Vehicle Suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll add that I feel we're very lucky to have so many choices in vehicles.

You can find pretty much anything that can suit a particular need and many that suit most needs. So much so that you can see the many differences in opinions and recommendations here. They're all correct if you're happy with it. 🙂

I am looking for a new car / SUV. I am think about a Toyota Highlander, Hyundai Santa Fe, Lincoln Aviator, or Ford Escape. I want a car with decent leg room that is not low to the ground. Any other suggestions or opinions on those listed?
I have a Ford escape hybrid. It's decent overall but my other vehicle is a Silverado and it just doesn't compare. My next will be a 4runner or Tahoe or something along those lines. The escape is a great beater but it's very boring. A toaster on wheels, and at least mine (the hybrid) has several recalls already (2022) for car fires and non trivial items. Good luck!

Still love my Equinox. Lots of room, and over 30mpg with a 4 cylinder.

I have a Ford escape hybrid. It's decent overall but my other vehicle is a Silverado and it just doesn't compare. My next will be a 4runner or Tahoe or something along those lines. The escape is a great beater but it's very boring. A toaster on wheels, and at least mine (the hybrid) has several recalls already (2022) for car fires and non trivial items. Good luck!

Thanks. I do not fit well in the back seat of an escape. That is the standard I use,.

I will put in a vote for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had a 2002 model for 19 years. HO V8 that drank like a fish. Great car though. I have zero brand loyalty but purchased a new 2020 GC. Also a V8 (5.7 litre), but it gets about 11 litres per 100km mixed driving. It shuts down four of the cylinders when highway cruising. Love it.

Really out there as a recommendation, but...

This year I got a used mall crawler Lexus GX470 (aka Toyota Landcruiser Prado in other parts of the world) and made it a rec vehicle that I love (one reson I was away from rocketry this summer). Price was ridiculously cheap and the engine has legendary longevity. Can tow 6,500lbs and is surprisingly quiet and comfortable. VERY offroad capable. tons of space inside.
View attachment 614166
View attachment 614167
View attachment 614168
View attachment 614169
I added a side 270 awning and rooftop tent. Have since added larger offroad tires.

Only negative I'd say is mpg and Premium gas, but many say it is fine with regular (what I've been using).
This happened to me today...1000015565.jpg
😆

Last edited:
A lot more money than I am will to spend.
I got it used for $8k and optional mods were maybe $5k. Heck of a bargain for a Landcruiser (Prada) that supposedly can easily hit 300k miles ("legendary engine") and is usually babied, dealer serviced at Lexus, and used for mall cruising. Biggest negative is mpg.

DEFINITELY not the vehicle to consider of you're also considering an EV, but does everything else well that an EV doesn't.

Any choices made yet?

I got it used for $8k and optional mods were maybe $5k. Heck of a bargain for a Landcruiser (Prada) that supposedly can easily hit 300k miles ("legendary engine") and is usually babied, dealer serviced at Lexus, and used for mall cruising. Biggest negative is mpg.

DEFINITELY not the vehicle to consider of you're also considering an EV, but does everything else well that an EV doesn't.

Any choices made yet?

I am probably going to get a Toyota Highlander or RAV4.

I am switching jobs and will get a significant raise. I am going to use it to pay for the new car. I want a hybrid.

I am probably going to get a Toyota Highlander or RAV4.

I am switching jobs and will get a significant raise. I am going to use it to pay for the new car. I want a hybrid.
I also have a 2017 Rav4 Hybrid Limited fully optioned. Got it new for $7k off list when Toyota was trying to clear out vehicles at end of year...maybe to get top seller status?

Smartest vehicle purchase I've made and great overall, but a bit dull; however it's supposed to be. Given it's a hybrid, the boost on Sport mode or when really mashing the throttle can be quite surprising (and fun! Lol).

Check the "knee room" when you get into the driver's seat. I don't know if the new gens changed, but the dash extends out low and I've mashed my knee on it getting in a few times. My friend too and he said that's why he earlier dismissed the same vehicle even before I got mine.

Good luck!

I also have a 2017 Rav4 Hybrid Limited fully optioned. Got it new for $7k off list when Toyota was trying to clear out vehicles at end of year...maybe to get top seller status?

Smartest vehicle purchase I've made and great overall, but a bit dull; however it's supposed to be. Given it's a hybrid, the boost on Sport mode or when really mashing the throttle can be quite surprising (and fun! Lol).

Check the "knee room" when you get into the driver's seat. I don't know if the new gens changed, but the dash extends out low and I've mashed my knee on it getting in a few times. My friend too and he said that's why he earlier dismissed the same vehicle even before I got mine.

Good luck!
Thanks.

Tomorrow is another test drive day - Toyota Crown and Grand highlander are my two focuses tomorrow. Might see if I can find a RAV4 Prime.

This happened to me today...View attachment 625527
😆
Chevy was found to be selling the anonymised usage data of all its buyers from the onboard computers to the insurance companies. Including how hard they were accelerating and braking. The insurance companies were then using publicly available information to re-identify the data to increase premiums for specific drivers. Gotta love a smart car.

Last edited:
Chevy was found to be selling the anonymised usage data of all its buyers from the onboard computers to the insurance companies. Including how hard they were accelerating and braking. The insurance companies were then using publicly available information to re-identify the data to increase premiums for specific drivers. Gotta love a smart car.
Not sure why you quoted me on my Lexus GX470 since I doubt they're tracking my driving on that one given it's a 2006 lol.

But you did bring up a great point and after I heard that last week, I was glad that most of my cars are older tech. The newest is my 2017 Rav4 Hybrid, but I don't usually drive that outside of the usual norm (mostly ;) ).

Info is BIG business nowadays and it's not just car companies tracking it. Your mobile phone is probably the biggest data collector... even when you don't touch it and talk near it! It can also track your movement and speed.

Not sure why you quoted me on my Lexus GX470 since I doubt they're tracking my driving on that one given it's a 2006 lol.

But you did bring up a great point and after I heard that last week, I was glad that most of my cars are older tech. The newest is my 2017 Rav4 Hybrid, but I don't usually drive that outside of the usual norm (mostly ;) ).

Info is BIG business nowadays and it's not just car companies tracking it. Your mobile phone is probably the biggest data collector... even when you don't touch it and talk near it! It can also track your movement and speed.
I was confused...... :)

Chuck,

Is the forthcoming Land Cruiser on your radar? It is a slightly more substantial vehicle (as befits your new station in life <G>), and ticks both the "Toyota" and "hybrid" boxes.

Downside is that you would have to wait for it to hit the US market later this year.

https://www.toyota.com/landcruiser/

James
At $77k for the new Landcruiser -- while beautiful -- I'll need a 3rd job!

This is a Toyota Crown:

View attachment 637057
Very nice! I was at my local Toyota dealer today for Rav4 service and was hoping to see the Crown, but they didn't have it. Lots of other very cool cars though!
1000016590.jpg
As an aside, as I was leaving with my 2017 Rav4 Hybrid (left parked outside the dealership), a group of 5 mechanics were walking by as I pulled out onto the exit lane. After I passed them, I then decided to have a bit of fun and put it in Sport mode. At the exit I then signaled a left and lit all 4 tires as I pulled off Lol! I think the mechanics suddenly realized the reason for the wear on my tires!

Back