Hi from New Port Richey, FL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusGrissom

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm back into the hobby after 20 years. Recently moved to New Port Richey, FL. Spent 40 years on Florida's east coast. I previously built the Mercury Redstone, Estes Saturn V 1/100, Mean Machine, a bunch of others, was even collecting oatmeal cartons and styrafoam containers and making my own designs. I made a Sputnik out of a styrofoam ball and wooden dowels.

Then got divorced, moved into a small apartment, had no room for the rockets, kinda lost interest in the hobby and actually threw them out. Boy do I regret that. Anyway, fast forward 20 years, I'm remarried, back in a house with lots of room, just got back in the hobby and finished another Redstone. That escape tower is just as much of a nightmare as it was when I built my first one all those years ago. My next project which just arrived today is the Acme Spitfire from Fliskits. That should be fun.

I used to launch with my son all the time in Markham Park in Sunrise, FL when he was growing up. He has since moved to Colorado Springs. When I have built a bunch more rockets I want to ship them out there and launch with him again like old times. There is a lot of flat desert out there. Also, make a visit to Apogee.

Doesn't appear to be a lot of places to launch here in New Port Richey. Maybe some B and C launches in Starkey Park. Perhaps I'll start a new thread about where to launch around here. I'm not really a "club" kinda guy.

Anyway, glad I found the forum. Cheers.

Welcome Gus - love your name! :) I, too am losing many launching fields to construction (like they really needed that new high school :rolleyes: )

Google maps may help you find a place? Good luck!

Thanks Huxter. Big fan of Gus Grissom. He got a raw deal how he was portrayed in the movie The Right Stuff. Rest in peace Ole Gussie.

Back