New Vehicle Suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, if you want leather seats on the Toyota truck-SUV's, you have to get the Limited editions... for those with an UN-limited budget. :)

I am a huge Toyota fan as well. One thing I will do differently when I buy the next Toyota (not 'if', but when) I will try to get the trim level with cloth seats and have the dealer put the leather covers on instead of buying leather from the factory. I had a friend who did that, as he really only wanted the leather seats, not all the other fancy stuff that came with the higher packages. There's basically an extra layer of cushion when its done that was and the seats went from comfortable to luxury. A side bonus is that if you do something dumb and cut the seat (or just wear out the bolster) I imagine its cheaper to get new covers than to get the seats repaired. That isn't a fact, just an opinion, but it seems rational.

Sandy.

I somehow poked a hole in the leather of my Outback seat base; was ~$235 for a new cover for just that part of the seat :( Totally not a fun job to change it either. But yeah, swapping to the leather covers can be a lot cheaper than getting a spendy bundle that one may not want. Good idea.

Our Camry hybrid has heated cloth seats and they're pretty darn nice....well, perfect, pretty much.

on another vein...

I so wish VW hadn't done the whole diesel cheating crap and still had a fleet of diesels to choose from. Our '09 Jetta TDI was a great car, but what we got for buyback could not be passed up. I'd so love to have a 2.0 TDI Atlas.

"If you want this one option you gotta buy this whole package for four times as much" is one of the biggest car-sales scams in existence. I have never understood the desire for 'fully loaded'. Our 98 Caravan was only the second NEW vehicle we bought. I told 'em we wanted cloth seats, cruise, and AC, period. Didn't get just those, of course, but it reduced the cost a lot.

When we went to the dealership to pick it up the salesperson said "This is your new baby". Stopped him. "No. It is transportation." I think he was a little taken aback as that's not the usual attitude.

Personal view: a vehicle is a device for getting me to point B from point A, reasonably inexpensively, in reasonable comfort, carrying what needs to be transported. I don't name my vehicles. If I could own a Ferrari maybe I'd think differently. :)

You will be hard pressed to find a better value than the Toyota's.
The Highlander and Grand Highlander are wonderfully designed machines.
I prefer conventional motor/transmission design, and body on frame construction.
So we have a Tacoma, and a 4runner.
The Suburban is a wonderful machine as well.
The Sequoia is also outstanding but not friendly on fuel.

Almost all of the other smaller SUV now are transverse engine mount, and a large percentage are CVT transmission.

If you decide on the Grand Highlander it is a transverse motor system.
The non hybrid has a standard automatic transmission, the base hybrid has a CVT transmission, and the hybrid Max system has a 8 speed standard automatic.

I am not a believer in a 300,000 mile turbo engine.

That is why we bought V6 with standard mounting. Lennox has a automatic and I have a 6spd manual.

If you need a full size SUV the Suburban would be a great choice, so would the Grand Highlander (I would avoid the CVT trim)

If you can handle low mile used machines, the Lexus LX series are Land Cruisers. The GX series are 4runners.

A certified low mile Lexus will have a 100,000 mile warranty. It will do anything you can ask in comfort and style.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/495b8de8-e50c-421a-93db-b40deff8682f/

We started as college kids with a Tiburon, then Tuscon when the first kiddo came along, Santa Fe with the third, now Palisade. Hyundais have been very good to us.

All I can say is here in MN they are stealing Kia and Hyundai left and right. And our lovely Attorney General says it is not their fault as the companies make them easy to steal.

Yes they are, and back in the 80s GM made them easy to steal as well with a screw driver into the them

Toyota Tacos are the best selling Pickups

Maybe in the world, but they are number 5 in the US.

When I replaced my S10, I wanted a 'small; truck and the Taco was the closest. It was $40k back then and the Tundra was $30k. I'll never go with a small truck in my mind currently. In my case, the Tundra with the small V8 was the better call, even though I didn't think so at the time. I think the Taco popularity drives the cost up higher than it should be and we know if Chuck is wheeling an F250 at times, a Taco would feel like a Ford Pinto and a Tundra would feel like a mini-van.

Don't get me wrong, I think I would have liked the Taco for sure, but not going to pay $10k more for a smaller truck due to popularity/supply & demand. I'm hugely happy with my 2013 Tundra and hope to drive it into the ground at 500k with good maintenance. I just wish I would have put the good stereo in it. . . I got sucker punched into Toyota's insanely well thought out driver ergonomics and steering wheel inputs and compromised sound quality. This dang Mercedes Sprinter Class B+/C thing I just bought has terrible ergonomics compared. . . and cost more than twice as much! Having said that, I love it a ton, so I think maybe I just found the right solution for Chuck. . .buy an overpriced RV! I'm pretty sure it checks all the boxes for:

Per Chuck list:

Good leg and head room in the back seat. [Check, I'm 6-ish ft and have a bit to go, never hit the roof, standing up straight.]
Must have room for a 10 inch diameter rocket and a cooler, chairs, and tent in the back. [Last trip included about 500# of cargo, previous had a race engine in the kitchen section. Check.]
Navigation system. [Both dash and phone, but prefer phone which links to the dash, so Check]
Decent Gas mileage a Plus. [16mpg avg on a 2400 mile trip through the mountains at 70-75mph. Maybe check? I was thrilled. . . guessed 12-ish when I left, assuming 55mph. ]
Hybrid is a plus. [Negative. Diesel for sure.]
I would give it a plus if it can pull a trailer but not required. [Check in principle. I have yet to pull one, but its got a 2" Reese receiver and its rated for 5k#.]

Bonus material:

Pee when you want. Sleep when you want. Food stays cold in the fridge, so McDonalds not required on trips.

Detractors:

Third biggest expense of my life. The first two were houses. . . OK, maybe fourth biggest expense, if you count my wife!>!>!>! [Hopefully Bridget laughs at that one and doesn't ban me from ROSCO/ICBM launches :) ]

Hope you find the perfect fit. While all of the above is a bit of a joke, as it obviously isn't what you need for your goal, it has turned out to be a good thing for me so far. Can't wait for that $10k broken stuff bill to come in and see how I feel at that point, but until then, I'm going to ride the wave!

Sandy.

For 2024 Toyota is offering an all new hybrid Landcruiser.
You may want to look it over, there's plenty of info out there.

please disregard if this was previously mentioned

Really out there as a recommendation, but...

This year I got a used mall crawler Lexus GX470 (aka Toyota Landcruiser Prado in other parts of the world) and made it a rec vehicle that I love (one reson I was away from rocketry this summer). Price was ridiculously cheap and the engine has legendary longevity. Can tow 6,500lbs and is surprisingly quiet and comfortable. VERY offroad capable. tons of space inside.
20230926_133938.jpg
20231029_171104.jpg
20230910_061358.jpg
20230822_161534.jpg
I added a side 270 awning and rooftop tent. Have since added larger offroad tires.

Only negative I'd say is mpg and Premium gas, but many say it is fine with regular (what I've been using).

Really out there as a recommendation, but...

This year I got a used mall crawler Lexus GX470 (aka Toyota Landcruiser Prado in other parts of the world) and made it a rec vehicle that I love (one reson I was away from rocketry this summer). Price was ridiculously cheap and the engine has legendary longevity. Can tow 6,500lbs and is surprisingly quiet and comfortable. VERY offroad capable. tons of space inside.
View attachment 614166
View attachment 614167
View attachment 614168
View attachment 614169
I added a side 270 awning and rooftop tent. Have since added larger offroad tires.

Only negative I'd say is mpg and Premium gas, but many say it is fine with regular (what I've been using).

I have a friend with a Taco that has that kind of Tent on top of the bed Cap of his truck ... They sleep in the tent instead of the inside of the Cap that I can't understand. I'd rather sleep in the Cap over the bed of the truck then a tent on top of the Cap ???

I have a friend with a Taco that has that kind of Tent on top of the bed Cap of his truck ... They sleep in the tent instead of the inside of the Cap that I can't understand. I'd rather sleep in the Cap over the bed of the truck then a tent on top of the Cap ???
I've actually built a folding sleeping platform inside the cabin. Both have memory foam mattresses and are very comfortable imo.
(Nice rocket space!)
Screenshot_20231107_205205_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20231107_205243_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20231107_205232_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20231107_205437_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20231107_205402_Photos.jpg
The cabin is much quieter, but the tent is cooler. The inside of the tent is actually really nice!

Screenshot_20231107_210452_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I have cleaned up my criteria:
  • Good leg and head room in the back seat.
  • Must have room for a 10 inch diameter rocket and a cooler, chairs, and tent in the back.
  • Navigation system.
  • Decent Gas mileage a Plus.
  • Hybrid is a plus.
  • I would give it a plus if it can pull a trailer but not required.
Hmmm

Toyota RAV4 plug in hybrid?
Tows 1500 lbs braked. 750 not braked.
Not sure about the 10 inch rocket.

I've actually built a folding sleeping platform inside the cabin. Both have memory foam mattresses and are very comfortable imo.
(Nice rocket space!)
View attachment 614188
View attachment 614189
View attachment 614190
View attachment 614192
View attachment 614193
The cabin is much quieter, but the tent is cooler. The inside of the tent is actually really nice!

View attachment 614195
I'll add that a setup such as this can be applied to many other vehicles. It also allows quick free overnights in Walmart and some major Sporting good chains parking lots (that allow it), which helps a lot on long drives.

Do you consider a mini van low to the ground? My wife and I are looking at a mini van, checks many boxes for a small family.

I know 3 people that own Highlanders, all LOVE them.

We have (2) Hyundai's currently, I can say without a doubt Hyundai stands behind their 100K powertrain warranty (including full engine replacement, ask me how I know). With that being said, I think the Sante Fe would be a solid choice as well.

Based on your short list, I'd vote for the Highlander.

Best,
I'm actually in search of a new car myself and it's replacing a minivan. Not because we dislike it, it's just sh1t the bed. I know it hurts the ego, but they are generally great for family and rocketry. You can fit a 4'x8' sheet of whatever in the back, mileage is usually reasonable, you can remove seats if you have a large rocket project ;), and they usually have great entertainment systems. Oh, and you can usually tow a decent amount of weight.

Josh

Only leather seats I had was in my Mustang GT Track Premium car .. takes maintenance as well to keep them up ...

Stuff like this: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G55153-Leather-Care-Kit/dp/B07KQMYDX3?th=1
When we would clean up our Mustang for a car show, I'd use wax on the leather seats. If I drove the 'Stang to work the next day while wearing nylon slacks, I'd literally slide out of the seat when braking and turning! Also, we'd use something like Armor All on the dash and it would reflect so well that I'd have a hard time seeing out the windshield. As they say .. it is better to look good than to feel good ....

For years I preferred leather seats because the alternatives were just really bad vinyl and stiff fabric that would stain easily. But the non-leather stuff most car makers are using for seat covers now is much better than what they used in the past.

Last edited:
I'm actually in search of a new car myself and it's replacing a minivan. Not because we dislike it, it's just sh1t the bed. I know it hurts the ego, but they are generally great for family and rocketry. You can fit a 4'x8' sheet of whatever in the back, mileage is usually reasonable, you can remove seats if you have a large rocket project ;), and they usually have great entertainment systems. Oh, and you can usually tow a decent amount of weight.

Josh
We are planning to do a side by side of the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna when the time comes. I'd rather have the V6 in the Odyssey, but damn the Sienna looks nice as well. I have heard good things about Toyota's Hybrid offering and if my understanding is correct, that powertrain is common across many of their vehicles. I miss having a vehicle with a V6 and some get up and go...

We are planning to do a side by side of the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Sienna when the time comes. I'd rather have the V6 in the Odyssey, but damn the Sienna looks nice as well. I have heard good things about Toyota's Hybrid offering and if my understanding is correct, that powertrain is common across many of their vehicles. I miss having a vehicle with a V6 and some get up and go...

Smack the pedal on our Camry hybrid and it's relatively pleasing. It's not the Kenne Bell supercharged 4.6 V8 I had in my Mustang, but enough for this dad in this stage of life.

We had a used Odyssey, V6, it was great. It has 2 catalytic converters, which sucks when it's time to replace them, but...

One under appreciated thing I liked was it has an outlet in the back so I could plug in an entertainment device or one of those thermoelectric coolers etc. Mileage was just below our 4-cyl Element's mileage, and that car is even older than the Ody

We had a used Odyssey, V6, it was great. It has 2 catalytic converters, which sucks when it's time to replace them, but...

One under appreciated thing I liked was it has an outlet in the back so I could plug in an entertainment device or one of those thermoelectric coolers etc. Mileage was just below our 4-cyl Element's mileage, and that car is even older than the Ody
For the record, I had to trade in my 350Z when we got the Ody, and I inherited the old Element, so I was next in line for a new car. I'm getting totally screwed on this lol

Update: I test drove a Tesla. Yes, a Tesla. Nice car. I like all the bells and whistles. It would not work well with my appartment during the week. I would have to charge at the grocery store and install a charge at my house. The local sales person is from rural SC and his wife is from WV. He agreed with me that Tesla would be a challenge if you travel in those locations.

I plan to test drive a Prius Prime. I know what they say about a prius and it looks like a clown car when I get our of one, but 54 mpg is nice.

I really do not like paying 50K for a car so I might have to go used. The highlander continues to lead the pack.

Update: I test drove a Tesla. Yes, a Tesla. Nice car. I like all the bells and whistles. It would not work well with my appartment during the week. I would have to charge at the grocery store and install a charge at my house. The local sales person is from rural SC and his wife is from WV. He agreed with me that Tesla would be a challenge if you travel in those locations.

I plan to test drive a Prius Prime. I know what they say about a prius and it looks like a clown car when I get our of one, but 54 mpg is nice.

I really do not like paying 50K for a car so I might have to go used. The highlander continues to lead the pack.
Maybe a Highlander Hybrid would meet almost everything you're looking for?

FWIW and related as a Toyota Hybrid, I currently have 5 running cars and one is a 2017 Rav4 Hybrid. Most boring looking vehicle I have, but also most sensible, reliable and it can be surprisingly fun when I step on the "gas" and the torque kicks in all the wheels.

TOTAL sleeper and I've surprised many BMWs, Audis, a couple of Corvettes, etc. that are racing by on the highway. I'm no slow driver either - I've made finals at Limerock Park Summer Autocross in my 2.5 Turbo Miata besting more than half the Vipers.

It's gray and so plain looking that very often my passengers (including family) will go for the wrong gray vehicle in the parking lot, but it is also less of a target for troopers who are probably thinking "screw that, I'm not even going to try looking for that gray ghost!". 😆

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back