New Vehicle Suggestions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CWBullet, swing for the fences and buy a Chevrolet Suburban. You will shake your fist at the sky (a la Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind) and solemnly swear to God that you will NEVER drive anything BUT a Suburban for the rest of your life. The Michigan Team-1 logo sticker on the side window of my Suburban sometimes leads to people asking what it's about, and sometimes those people are also driving Suburbans, and every single one I've chatted with has said they will never NOT drive a Suburban. If your Level 3 N-powered rocket will not fit in your Suburban (highly unlikely), your next phone call needs to be to Bekins Moving & Storage.

Attachments

• SoD 20230724.jpg
    SoD 20230724.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 0
CWBullet, swing for the fences and buy a Chevrolet Suburban. You will shake your fist at the sky (a la Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With The Wind) and solemnly swear to God that you will NEVER drive anything BUT a Suburban for the rest of your life. The Michigan Team-1 logo sticker on the side window of my Suburban sometimes leads to people asking what it's about, and sometimes those people are also driving Suburbans, and every single one I've chatted with has said they will never NOT drive a Suburban. If your Level 3 N-powered rocket will not fit in your Suburban (highly unlikely), your next phone call needs to be to Bekins Moving & Storage.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at one.

Have you looked at a VW Atlas? My partner has one assigned to her for her job. That thing is awesome and a beast. It is super spacious as we always have the seats in the back folded flat. She is 6'2" and can lay out full starfish in the back of it. It seats 8 total, it is not low to the ground, and we get around 25-30 mpg depending on which of us is driving and if we take the interstate to work/trips. We have the base model and it's pretty luxurious for what you get. The only thing I don't like is the base model doesn't have satellite radio, as our other VW does, and Android Auto is not wireless but it does have Bluetooth. First world problems I know. I believe the next package up has those features. It is a super smooth ride. We are on our second one (the lease models she gets are only for a year) and we love it. For a 4 banger it will scoot and has really decent power. When we aren't driving the Atlas we also have a VW ID.4 and have driven it from Chattanooga to Ft. Lauderdale FL and back twice no with no issues charging and I'm about to drive it to Ft. Walton Beach in a couple of weeks. But I understand that you live far away from the fast chargers. Longest its ever taken us to charge at a fast charger is about 25-30 minutes because we let the battery get a little too low. The slow chargers definitely take much longer. The ID.4 is a torque beast even just with rear wheel drive.

Another small SUV to consider is a Toyota Corolla Cross. A friend of mine has one and its pretty nice. It's basically a Corolla with an SUV body on it. Most of the parts are Camry or Corolla parts so it's super easy to work on if needed. He is close to 6ft. tall and has plenty of room in it. He has even made a camping box for the back of it so he can sleep in the back of it when he travels/goes camping. We took a trip from Chattanooga to Hot Springs Arkansas a few months ago and it was a very comfortable ride. I don't remember the mpg range but I think we only got fuel 3 or 4 times and we were gone for almost a week and drove quite a bit.

We have a 2012 Honda Pilot with well over 100K on the odometer and I can highly recommend it (edit: well, maybe one a little newer). We bought it because we often tow our enclosed trailer to rocket launches. We also have a flat bed trailer although we aren't adverse to throwing bags of fertilizer or whatever in the back of the SUV to get it home from the store.

Beyond being a workhorse, it is really comfortable to drive and ride in and can seat seven when needed. It doesn't feel like a truck when you are driving it on the highway.

Having said that, I think most people that buy a Pilot probably should have bought an Odyssey. Most people don't need a truck.

We had an Odyssey for years before getting the Pilot. Ours actually had a more room in the back than our Pilot. I don't know if it is still true, but I could lay 4x8 sheets of lumber flat in back with the rear seats folded down or removed.

We towed the trailer with the Odyssey. It did it safely, but you knew you were pulling it. With the Pilot I have to be careful not to forget it is there.

The Odyssey is easier to get into and out of for most passengers and drivers. The sliding doors are very handy if you have children that are still using a car seat, but really nice overall.

I agree that if you can't charge at home then an EV is not for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried to talk myself into an electric over the last 16 months. I researched the Ford Lightning and dozens of others. I even test drove an EV. I really do like the concept but it is not an option.

That's why I drive a minivan. I don't need the towing capacity of a truck. My van has as much interior space as a Suburban, costs 1/2 as much to buy, and 40% less to operate. I checked into this in 1999 when I replaced my Trans-Am and it still applied in 2018 when I had to buy a new vehicle.

That's why I drive a minivan. I don't need the towing capacity of a truck. My van has as much interior space as a Suburban, costs 1/2 as much to buy, and 40% less to operate. I checked into this in 1999 when I replaced my Trans-Am and it still applied in 2018 when I had to buy a new vehicle.
There are several on my long list. I need to test drive them.

I have cleaned up my criteria:
  • Good leg and head room in the back seat.
  • Must have room for a 10 inch diameter rocket and a cooler, chairs, and tent in the back.
  • Navigation system.
  • Decent Gas mileage a Plus.
  • Hybrid is a plus.
  • I would give it a plus if it can pull a trailer but not required.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried to talk myself into an electric over the last 16 months. I researched the Ford Lightning and dozens of others. I even test drove an EV. I really do like the concept but it is not an option.
Might want to take a peek at the Escape PHEV. Don’t lose much of the trunk (unlike my Fusion PHEV), and it’ll charge overnight from a standard 110V AC wall connection with the provided charger, so no special charger install. My in-laws have one, and I was pretty impressed with it.

I’ve been pretty happy with the “charge as you can” approach that a PHEV enables. I can do most of my local driving as an EV, but without being tied to the uptime of a nascent charger infrastructure.

Might want to take a peek at the Escape PHEV. Don’t lose much of the trunk (unlike my Fusion PHEV), and it’ll charge overnight from a standard 110V AC wall connection with the provided charger, so no special charger install. My in-laws have one, and I was pretty impressed with it.

I’ve been pretty happy with the “charge as you can” approach that a PHEV enables. I can do most of my local driving as an EV, but without being tied to the uptime of a nascent charger infrastructure.
How many mpg do you have for the extra weight of the PHEV?

I have considered it, but they weight more and often lose 3-5MPG.

How many mpg do you have for the extra weight of the PHEV?

I have considered it, but they weight more and often lose 3-5MPG.
I looked it up and it is about 3-4. I will research it more and test-drive it.

So far, the winner is the Grand Highlander.

So far, the winner is the Grand Highlander.
Yeah, that seems to "check all your boxes" better than most other options. Seems like it would be a pretty good choice.

The one thing I've seen in a bit of quick net-surfing, is that the mileage ratings might be a bit off. Interestingly, it seems that sometimes the non-hybrid "real world" performance is better than listed specs, while the hybrid models sometimes did less than specs. Hmmm. Still mpg (both spec and real-world) seem pretty decent for what the vehicles are capable of. In theory at least, the hybrids can see up to 37mpg....not bad for that sort of vehicle.

But the real question is..........................what color are you gonna get?

s6

Grand Highlander is a good (albeit expensive) choice. The Toyota trucks and truck-based SUV's are legendary for their reliability... I've never heard anybody say that they wish they hadn't bought one. The Outback is decent too (my son had one before he bought a Tacoma), but it really isn't made for the kind of terrain that we have at SoCal desert launch sites.

I like Toyota hybrid vehicles, as they have been doing it in the Prius since the 1990's, and many other companies license their technology. I've been a tree hugger for years, seeing that I live in Europe, where the price of gas is 2-3 higher than in the States. You don't see many heavy vehicles, like pickups, on the road here, and few V8's.
The Toyota Highlander is a good choice. I test drove one about a year and a half ago when I got to choose a new lease car, but it was just outside my lease budget. I went with the Toyota Corolla Touring Sports (station wagon), which is a C-class car with the length for rockets. The Highlander is bigger, higher, and has a bigger engine, and 4WD, which is nice when skiing in Switzerland. We don't have the Grand Highlander here in Europe, but wish they did.
One thing that Toyota gets right is using a simulated Atkinson cycle engine with their mild hybrids. Atkinson cycle engines, when charging the batteries for the electric motor, operate at a lower rpm than they would while driving the wheels directly, and get more efficient power that way. They do it electronically (thus the simulated Atkinson) without the complicated valves of the original Atkinson design. They put a bigger engine in their vehicles that run at a lower rpm, thus being more efficient.

for a explanation why Toyota has the best hybrid system at the moment, which they've had years to improve. There was a good youtube film from a Toyota mechanic, where he points things out under the motor cap, and explains how the system works, and why Toyota is different from other latecomers to the hybrid game.
That said, anything Toyota has a reputation of not being especially sexy, but just lasting a long time, and cheap to operate. The old Toyota diesel pickups are probably the most reliable pickups used around the world, you see them running forever in third world countries. Just good engineering. If you want something more luxurious, choose the Lexus, which is a Toyota under the skin.
I wish I could have gotten the Toyota Highlander executive edition, which has the JBL sound system. I like music, and road trips aren't the same with a simple standard audio system :)

My wife drives a Nissan Rogue and we really like it. It's a lot smaller than the Honda Odyssey that it replaced but still quite roomy with decent legroom for me, cargo space in back, and a back seat for the dogs (and occasionally people). It gets 27+ mpg which is very nice also.

Our daughter has a Ford Edge which is just a shade bigger than our Rogue and she likes it as well.

You could also look at the Honda Passport as it is essentially a Pilot without the third row. It has something like 80+ cubic feet of space with the seats down and about 44 cubic feet with the seats up. Not sure if you need the third row or now but it is an option.

I had to smile when I read Rocketjunkie's "buy a minivan" entry. Everything he said is true. BUT, the minute you drive a minivan off the lot, you give up any hope you ever had of retaining any sense of cool you ever had. You will be forever stained as a hopelessly unhip suburbanite Soccer Mom for the rest of your days. If the specter of being so labeled forever doesn't bother you - go for it.

I haven't seen much mention of Consumer Reports. Personal recommendations (and I won't make one) are often based on ownership a single vehicle. Consumer Reports isn't as popular as it once was but you still get a lot of details on expected reliability, actual mileage, ride, headroom, etc., etc., etc., based on both test vehicles and multiple consumers. And comparison of vehicles that you might not otherwise consider. CR isn't perfect by any means but IMO it provides the most objective information one can get today.

I haven't seen much mention of Consumer Reports. Personal recommendations (and I won't make one) are often based on ownership a single vehicle. Consumer Reports isn't as popular as it once was but you still get a lot of details on expected reliability, actual mileage, ride, headroom, etc., etc., etc., based on both test vehicles and multiple consumers. And comparison of vehicles that you might not otherwise consider. CR isn't perfect by any means but IMO it provides the most objective information one can get today.
Thank you,

OT: Needed to replace my 1999 Taurus ago September. Was looking at an used 2020 Honda CR-V. Showed my wife the car at the dealership and her only comment was, "You just want to get a rocket car".
Guess it showed... Nice cargo area and with the middle seats down it has plenty of room for what I take to launches. Nice to get over 30 mpg in city and up to 38 on the road.

Chas

I haven't seen much mention of Consumer Reports.
I seem to have knack for purchasing cars not recommended by CR, such as Porsche, Jaguar, Mini, and VW. I have loved them all, and all have been bulletproof.

I am convinced that Toyota has photos of CR staff in flagrante delicto with farm animals, and that is why they rank the Company's products so highly.

If you want to be cool, find a Toyota Landcruiser! My favorite vehicle ever!
You are the first person in this thread to suggest a car that possesses any degree of passion, excitement, pedigree, romance, or intrigue. As a bonus the car will last the rest of the owners life with reasonable maintenance.

It is not currently being sold in the US and used examples worth owning are admittedly $80k plus, but I second your suggestion.

I will also throw a grenade into the room and suggest the Ineos Grenadier: https://ineosgrenadier.com/en/us/

The mileage sucks, but Chuck would be ready for the apocalypse.

James

I am a huge Toyota fan as well. One thing I will do differently when I buy the next Toyota (not 'if', but when) I will try to get the trim level with cloth seats and have the dealer put the leather covers on instead of buying leather from the factory. I had a friend who did that, as he really only wanted the leather seats, not all the other fancy stuff that came with the higher packages. There's basically an extra layer of cushion when its done that was and the seats went from comfortable to luxury. A side bonus is that if you do something dumb and cut the seat (or just wear out the bolster) I imagine its cheaper to get new covers than to get the seats repaired. That isn't a fact, just an opinion, but it seems rational.

Sandy.

Back