My son is cooking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an indoor Purple Air sensor. Usually green, turns yellow, orange, red, purple depending on PM2.5...

Now the whole neighborhood knows when I'm roasting the chilis..

Let's hope not. Julia Childs is a woman. No Gordon Ramsey would have indicated that he didn't swear too much or cook very well. Insert other chef to indicate appropriate status.... :)
Don't care much for the gender affirmation. I would be happy for him to ba able to cook to secure a future bride. The key to a woman's heart is though a good meal in her stomach and not food poisoning.

Don't care much for the gender affirmation. I would be happy for him to ba able to cook to secure a future bride. The key to a woman's heart is though a good meal in her stomach and not food poisoning.
Start with something that cannot kill anyone then. Chicken and Pork are out for that reason as a starting cooking meal....
Beef lasagne was always my go to for a first date cookfest. With a nice bottle of red.

One of the best things my mother taught me was to cook. Nothing really fancy, decent basic foods. Got pretty decent at it up through my 30s, then developed lots of food allergies after having Lyme disease, now I hate to cook as my diet is so restricted. :(

Knowing how to cook will definitely be a plus for your son. Also good if the potential mate can cook as well.

edit... trying to teach my son to cook. He isn't into it. I tell him he's going to be screwed if he doesn't learn. Either he becomes totally dependent on a female to cook for him (which will be dicey since he is very shy and talking to anybody, let alone a girl is hard for him), pre-made foods (iffy since he's so darn picky), or go hungry. I bet go hungry convinces him to learn. He has to learn the hard way on most things, as he's extremely stubborn and teenager-defiant. :(

Last edited:
I didn’t learn to cook much of anything until a few years after I left home. Even my first couple of years of college, I was in the dorms and ate at the dining hall. I was 21 when I got my first apartment and finally had to learn to cook. I remember it wasn’t very easy, but within a year, I started to enjoy cooking at times and even hosted some parties where I served a meal to guests. It would have been a lot easier if I had learned more of the basics at home.

Good luck to your son. Make sure your fire extinguisher is charged and accessible!

My Dad taught me how to plant a garden, can or freeze food, and cook from a young age. I could cook most things long before I moved out on my own. To me, cooking is easy when you have a good recipe and can get fresh ingredients. Get a Thermapen and check temperatures so you can be sure meals are done and safe before they get burned.

I really like the styles Alton Brown, Amazing Ribs, Serious Eats, and Cooks Illustrated use in their recipes since they explain the science or reasoning behind the recipe. This allows you to tailor the recipe for your taste without screwing it up.

My Dad taught me how to plant a garden, can or freeze food, and cook from a young age. I could cook most things long before I moved out on my own. To me, cooking is easy when you have a good recipe and can get fresh ingredients. Get a Thermopen and check temperatures so you can be sure meals are done and safe before they get burned.

I really like the styles Alton Brown, Amazing Ribs, Serious Eats, and Cooks Illustrated use in their recipes since they explain the science or reasoning behind the recipe. This allows you to tailor the recipe for your taste without screwing it up.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyse a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

— Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

My brother, sister and I were latch key kids long before there was such a thing. Mom usually worked 12 hour shifts at the hospital. Dad was in charge of the mobility section at the AFB, and after work there staffed one of the local filling stations. Neither one usually came home before 9 or 10 at night. If we wanted to eat, we fixed it ourselves.
I helped my grandfather at an early age while he baked, so I had most of that part down. The three of us became quite adept at planning and cooking meals.
I figured an easy class to take to help out with my knowledge would be Home Ec. 1977 and I was the first guy to take it. All girls and myself. The class thought me nothing that I didn’t already have.
I found it funny that everyone made fun of me being the only guy in Home Ec. 1978, there was 28 boys enrolled. I guess someone just had to break the ice.

My Dad taught me how to plant a garden, can or freeze food, and cook from a young age. I could cook most things long before I moved out on my own. To me, cooking is easy when you have a good recipe and can get fresh ingredients. Get a Thermapen and check temperatures so you can be sure meals are done and safe before they get burned.

America's Test Kitchen is another good one.

Cooking is one of those skills that I have made sure my boys had a basic knowledge of.
Form the time they were infants, to , well, about 20 minutes ago, they have gone grocery shopping with me. Starting at around age 10 ( they are 17 now) I encouraged them to assist me with meals that were a little more complex than mac and cheese or nuggets. By fifteen, they could plan a meal, shop for the best possible ingredients at the best price and then prepare it. It took a while, but now they are quite good and will prepare meals for the family from time to time.
I too was an 80's latch key kid. My parents taught me at a young age to prep and cook meals as well.

Last edited:
This thread is funny to me and I'm not sure why? Also a latch key kid from the 80's. I was allowed to use certain appliances by myself at 6 or 7, but other had to be supervised for a few more years. (FYI, I was allowed to use the acetylene torch to cut metal before the oven. . . ).

Anyway, my household growing up was a typical 'Leave it to Beaver' feel, so the old 50's rules were similar. Mom cooked and cleaned, dad worked in the shop etc.

I guess one key that helped me learn to cook was that if you cooked it, you ate it. Eat burnt toast a few times and you learn to pay attention. . .

I am absolutely no chef, but I can make anything normal fairly well, certain specialties extremely well and don't really try cooking exotic things. Plan for tonight is Monte Cristo sandwiches. Have some bread and ham getting close to expiration/staleness and the wife's chickens are laying a bunch of eggs!

Hope your son latches on to cooking some particular thing and that makes it interesting. My favorite to experiment with are BBQ sauces and stews. Doing that teaches the rest of the skills to make a lot of other things, though.

Sandy.

My brother, sister and I were latch key kids long before there was such a thing. Mom usually worked 12 hour shifts at the hospital. Dad was in charge of the mobility section at the AFB, and after work there staffed one of the local filling stations. Neither one usually came home before 9 or 10 at night. If we wanted to eat, we fixed it ourselves.
I helped my grandfather at an early age while he baked, so I had most of that part down. The three of us became quite adept at planning and cooking meals.
I figured an easy class to take to help out with my knowledge would be Home Ec. 1977 and I was the first guy to take it. All girls and myself. The class thought me nothing that I didn’t already have.
I found it funny that everyone made fun of me being the only guy in Home Ec. 1978, there was 28 boys enrolled. I guess someone just had to break the ice.
I was the only guy in the touch-typing class back in '83. It was a good fun class to be in. Mechanical typewriters too!

I'm a fairly decent cook, did not help me with my ex-wife.

I don’t know how important cooking is to finding a mate, but my wife appreciated that I could cook when we first met. She was a good cook too. We made a lot of meals together early on. Now I probably do 80% of the cooking on my own.

I think one of the things that I can do better than she can is go to the fridge when we have no idea what we are going to eat, look at what ingredients we’ve got, and then figure out a decent meal from whatever it is that we have. I’m like an Iron Chef. Sometimes I go in the kitchen to make dinner, let her know it’s ready, and when she asks what we are eating, I say, “Something I pulled out of my ass.” She usually says, “Of good! I live the stuff from out of your ass!”

She’s really good at cooking meals that she plans ahead.

Back