L3 Trigger Pulled! Target FINALLY hit! :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what was the weight on the fins thats the only thing i did not get...

my lower half that has paint and a little fiberglass when i did the weight it was 15--pounds

my e-bay is 6-pounds

upper bodytube is 5-pounds thats w/o chute and chord

nosecone is 3-pounds dont ask i did add a 1/2 pound

plus this was the first time i used automotive paint :y:

what was the weight on the fins thats the only thing i did not get...

my lower half that has paint and a little fiberglass when i did the weight it was 15--pounds

my e-bay is 6-pounds

upper bodytube is 5-pounds thats w/o chute and chord

nosecone is 3-pounds dont ask i did add a 1/2 pound

plus this was the first time i used automotive paint :y:

Weighed the 3 fins yesterday before going in to work..2 fins were 1lb 7.4oz each and the other was 1lb 7.3oz..Works out to 4lbs 5.1oz(if my math is correct:rolleyes:)..

Well, nothing really earth shattering to report and no construction yet.:rolleyes: Work has kept me hopping, and other 'stuff' keep creeping up..BUT, I did order the epoxy!:clap: 1/2gal kit from US Composites and West 405 Filleting Blend filler..Should get those in time sometime next week so the serious build can commence next weekend! Parts will actually be put together!:D

Stay tuned for further updates...

I hope you meant West 406 not 405.

405 is a wood tone filler meant for project made of natural color wood.

https://www.westsystem.com/ss/405-filleting-blend/

This is 406 colloidal silica made for fillets.

https://www.westsystem.com/ss/406-colloidal-silica/

What happens when you are sleep deprived! :p Sent an e-mail to US Composites to substitute the 406 for the 405..

Do you think 7oz is enough? It IS $6 more then the 405, and that is what drew me to it, didn't read fully the product description.:eek:

Will also try and follow up with a call to them Monday morning to make sure they ship the 406 NOT the 405..

1.7 oz is the size I have and is enough to do a dozen large rockets. This stuff doesn't weigh anything. Like feathers. it should only cost 8-9 dollars.

By the way which kit did you get 2 to 1. 3 to 1 ?

Hope you remembered the pumps

1.7 oz is the size I have and is enough to do a dozen large rockets. This stuff doesn't weigh anything. Like feathers. it should only cost 8-9 dollars.

By the way which kit did you get 2 to 1. 3 to 1 ?
I got the 150 thick resin 3 to 1 medium cure

Hope you remembered the pumps

Already got pumps.;)

Just a 'drive by' update posting as I head my tired buttocks to bed...Got the epoxy and filler in today! :) I will definitely be ordering from US Composites for future epoxy needs! Super quick to ship, replaced my boo-boo with the correct stuff, and for a good price to boot! :headbang: Looking at the size of the container of the West 406, I think I have a lifetime supply!:roll: Anyways, the stick it together stuff is here, so, the sticking things together is tentatively scheduled to commence on Saturday!...Still need to work on my write up I need to send out to my TAPS too.:eek:

DSCF4037.JPG

3 pages of posts & still no rocket, just parts. Going after the Art Upton unboxing thread record?

:D

JD

Well, have done a little bit of work on the rocket..I sanded out the centering rings to go onto the motor tube..Did them Sunday while watching the race(GO JJ! :D)..And then did a 'dry fit' out in the front yard..This mofo is one TALL rocket:eek:!! Unfortunately no pictures of the dry fit..Had some assistance from my daughter and one of her friends..Got some WOW comments from my next door neighbor, he was truly impressed..

To be blunt though, and it is kind of not my nature to expose my dirty laundry to everyone, these last couple of weeks have been extremely stressful and depressing. Dealing with an unnamed federal agency, banks and such..But, I believe I see the light at the end of the tunnel, or a train to do a better job of running me over, I think the end of this 'struggle' is near. Once the dust settles a bit a concerted effort will be able to be put forth on this rocket..

Anyone got any 4 leaf clovers? ;)

Egads!:shock: Been more then a month and still the rocket sits in pieces.:eek: Been letting things distract me, and also had been lame in not getting a couple things(retainer, adapter, misc hardware) before I can start to actually mix any epoxy..Well, just purchased the last thing needed and will tackle this monster come Tuesday!:) Retainer and adapter are on their way here and once in my mitts will allow the building to begin!

Just recently got my parachute for it as well! Got a snazzy Cert-3 from EWallace..Got the e-bay schematics drawn up(looks like some caveman cartoon, but I understand it :p)..All that is left to acquire is some all thread and eyebolts from the local Lowes..

Watch for a BUILD thread when I get started!..Knocking on wood, I should be able to get this ready to fly for the May launch(15/16th)..

Well, to pull this out of the basement!:roll: Placed an order with McMaster-Carr for some small remaining tidbits..Here is what I ordered:

4 Each 90032A031 Zinc-Plated Steel Threaded Rod 3/8"-24 Thread, 2' Length

1 Pack 98286A283 Nylon 100 Deg Flat Head Slotted Machine Screw Black, 2-56 Thread, 1/2" Length, Packs of 100 (Same as 98286A220)

1 each Zinc-Plated Steel Threaded Rod 3/8"-24 Thread, 3' Length

4 Each 29535T11 Type 304SS U-Bolt with Dual Mounting Plates 3/8"-16 Thread, 2-1/4" Inside Length, 3200#

1 Pack 90241A232 Nylon 100 Deg Flat Head Slotted Machine Screw 4-40 Thread, 1/2" Length, Packs of 100 (Same as 95000A110)

2 Each 1370T22 Glass-Filled PTFE Tube 5/8" OD X 3/8" ID, 1/8" Wall Thickness, 1' Length

I think that should about cover it..Some things I possibly could have gotten locally at the Lowes but last time I looked their all thread selection maxed out at 12" lengths..Oh, I need to order some BlastCaps too..Will do that after work tonight.:)

A drum roll please?..

Some epoxy has been mixed and parts have been affixed in my Ultimate Wildman!:clap::cheers::shock:

One small step, and so on.,lol..Anyhow, I glued the avbay bulkheads..But prior to that I took my advanced radial scribing device and marked the outer bulkhead into 'sectors'...This will better facilitate in the placement of the recovery initiation apparatus modules..

In other words I drew some lines so I know where to put the boom making things to blow the rocket apart so it will come back down to earth after being thrown into the sky to a great altitude..:p

Crappy weather is forecast for the weekend(which I have off) so am hoping to get some work done on this project.

Attachments

• DSCF4159.JPG
    DSCF4159.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 24
Are you going to do this at Southern Thunder PJ? I may do mine on the 4" Intimidator...Anyways Good luck!:cheers:

Mike

Are you going to do this at Southern Thunder PJ? I may do mine on the 4" Intimidator...Anyways Good luck!:cheers:

Mike

Nope...I will be doing my L3 flight at Freedom Launch in Orangeburg,SC over the Labor Day weekend..

Well, got a bit more down on the rocket today..

First thing to get done was the Aeropack retainer..After I figured out that the aft centering ring would need to be FLUSH with the motor tube for it to work, I got to figuring out on how to make sure the threaded part would be centered so I could mark and then drill the mounting holes..Tried using the 98/75 adaptor, but wouldn't work as there was too much play..So, thinking, a light bulb went off in my head!:eyepop: I read where Troj had used a 4" coupler to this task..Well, I rummaged through my 'stuff' and ah-ha! I found a 4" coupler, and by Joe it worked!:) Holes were marked, drilled and the threaded base was secured to the aft centering ring! (PIC1)

Next I dug out the sand paper and got to sanding.:rolleyes: I now understand why some folks dread sanding..Got the fin tangs roughed up(PIC2), then I marked and roughed up the area epoxy will be placed on the motor tube(PIC3),did a dry fit and marked where the centering rings will be on the body tube..I had also dry fitted the fins and number them and slots accordingly to match for best fit(PIC4), then I roughed up the inside of the body tube for the CR attachment points(PIC5)..

more....

DSCF4160-1.JPG

DSCF4161-1.JPG

DSCF4162-1.JPG

DSCF4163-1.JPG

DSCF4165-1.JPG

Okay..where was I now? Oh, putting things together!:roll:

So, I mixed up a good sized batch of JB Weld(PIC1)

Then I coated it onto the aft end of the motor tube(PIC2)

And then slid on the aft centering ring/retainer base assembly(PIC3)-Sorry for the blurriness:eek:

And a nice clear picture of the aft end of motor tube(PIC4)

And the motor tube with the 3 centering rings..Coming up is to put a fillet(with chopped CF) on the top of the middle CR and the bottom of the top CR(PIC5)

Tried to dry fit the motor tube into the body and it wouldn't go all the way in:confused2:..Then I remembered I had to sand a bit on the other 2 CR's for them to slide into the BT..Did some sanding and got it a little further in, but still needs some more sanding to slide in all the way..Will have to wait til tomorrow as I am tired of sanding for the day!:p

Tomorrow the plan is to sand, sand and sand til I can get the motor tube assembly to slide in easily. Then to lay some epoxy for the same and begin attaching the fins...

DSCF4166-1.JPG

DSCF4167-1.JPG

DSCF4169-1.JPG

DSCF4170-1.JPG

DSCF4171-1.JPG

Phew.... You're doing that in the livingroom, over carpet? Brave, brave soul!

I'd have so much epoxy worked into the carpet after a rocket like the Ultimate Wildman that my wife would start washing my clothes in it, in retribution!

-Kevin

Glad to see you finally got started.

Don't forget to add your recovery harness to MM assembly before gluing it in the airframe, whether you notch the top Cr and glue it on or add eyebolts!

It is also easier to drill your injection holes first before inserting the assembly.

Good luck buddy,. Have you decided on colors yet?

It is also easier to drill your injection holes first before inserting the assembly.

This is true :)

I forgot to do that on mine and I just spent the morning drilling the holes and fiddling around with various ad-hoc tools to get the fuzzies sanded off. Would have been so much easier with the open tube. :bang:

Phew.... You're doing that in the livingroom, over carpet? Brave, brave soul!

I'd have so much epoxy worked into the carpet after a rocket like the Ultimate Wildman that my wife would start washing my clothes in it, in retribution!

-Kevin

:roll: Well, I don't have a wife to worry about that..Plus the carpet in the living room is pretty thrashed anyways..Maybe a little bit of epoxy blobs will motivate me to pull it out and maybe put hardwood flooring in there. ;)

Glad to see you finally got started.

In other words: About time you got started on it!..Right? :p

Don't forget to add your recovery harness to MM assembly before gluing it in the airframe, whether you notch the top Cr and glue it on or add eyebolts!
Yep..Going to use a u-bolt..And the motor tube is big enough and my arms are skinny enough to reach up the motor tube to fasten a quick link..Well, I could if my arm was about 6" longer!:roll:..Sheesh...:rolleyes:
That was the plan, will then be able to clean up any 'fuzzies' on the inside of the tube..
Good luck buddy,. Have you decided on colors yet?

Haven't thought about colors til just now...Black and Red?..Dunno yet...

Got more done today and a question to come too...

Last edited:
Okay, as promised, today's progress report so far..

Got the coupler scuffed up for the switch band(PIC1) and then mixed up a good amount(WAY too much!:eek:) of epoxy for the band and for the front of the middle CR(PIC2)
No picture but the band is then slid over epoxy painted on the coupler and excess wiped off..It is nicely cured now and awaiting drilling for vent and switch holes..

Using the left over epoxy from the coupler band some chopped CF was mixed in and applied liberally to the front of the center CR(PIC3) and a closer look(PIC4)..

After waiting for the above epoxy to set up a much smaller batch is mixed and a slightly smaller pinch of chopped CF was added to the mix and applied to the back of the front CR(PIC5).

Now for the question: Where the blue blazes do you get an appropriate syringe to do the injected fillets?:confused2: Asked about infant oral medicinal syringes at my local WalMart and they looked at me like I was asking what the square root of the speed of light was.:mad:..What do others use to inject this stuff?

DSCF4172.JPG

DSCF4173.JPG

DSCF4175.JPG

DSCF4174.JPG

DSCF4177.JPG

I got some at the Savannah Wally world. call them on your next fuel run. Ask for the Pharmacy. Normal store personnel get the deer with the headlight in the eyes look. As long as there is a neck on the hypo, regular ones will work too. Some are screw on needles.

I have found at Walgreens, CVS and once from the Kroger pharmacy. You could ask Julie too. [Wallys Julie] she always has that medical test stuff on hand or can tell you wher to get it. If you need her number call me. Last ditch and a mail wait....Tim has them here.

Okay, will have to try again during 'normal' business hours and see if someone more knowledgeable is working at Wally World..

Just found a little gotcha:(..Was fitting the coupler and weird..One end of the coupler slides real smooth and nice and easy in the booster tube and either end of the payload tube, however the other end of the coupler goes about 2" and jams. Like the tube gets slightly 'fatter'..Got it stuck good in the booster tube(thankfully had some helping hands to get it unstuck) then tried the same end on either end of the payload tube and same results(didn't get it stuck but had to 'wiggle' it to get it unlodged)..Guess some sanding is in order for that end of the coupler tube..:rolleyes:...

Large syringes are usually available at most farm supply stores that carry veterinary supplies. :2:

Back