L3 Trigger Pulled! Target FINALLY hit! :)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my 1" tubular nylon..I got a bundle of it, 125 yards to be exact!:eyepop: For a darn good price of $50 off Ebay..

375' of cord? Wow...You will need to set your main deployment at over 400' so your aft section doesn't crash into the ground while waiting for the main to deploy and pull up all that slack on the cord.

:y: :jaw: :roll:

Hey...glad to see you taking this on. Looks like fun!

-Dave

When I posted it was in regards to the file.
If it is a Wildman then there shouldn't be any problems.
His RockSim file is quite different than the Wildman kit.

JD

JD,

I didn't look at Jon's RSim, but assuming that he's using the stock Ult. Wildman fins, they are 3/16" thick G10.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about relatively short cord vs. span. I have found clipped delta (trapezoidal) fins with both leading edge and trailing edge sweeps to be relatively immune to flutter. IE, it is my belief that a longer root and a shorter span is less prone to tip flutter than fins with shorter roots and longer/larger spans. Although I don't care for the construction of the PR Concept fin cans, I believe the delta fin shape of them is a good design in terms of minimal flutter.

I've personally seen a few Ultimate Wildmans fly on high thrusting N motors (N4100+) without glass on the fins without issue.

My personal preference would be to glass tip-to-tip for durability and longevity, but the design has proven to stand up to 6 grain 4' long 98mm motors without the need for glass.

Congrats on the purchase, Jon! Looking forward to the build thread!

-Eric-

JD,

Ahh, Gotcha. I don't have RSIm loaded on the computer; thought that your comment might have been in regard to the RSIM file. Thanks for clariying.

Happy New Year!

-Eric-

When I posted it was in regards to the file.
If it is a Wildman then there shouldn't be any problems.
His RockSim file is quite different than the Wildman kit.

JD

Thanks for the sharp eye JD! I didn't notice the fin thickness either! Will have to go into the file and change it to 3/16"(0.187 as listed on the WM site)..

Anxiously awaiting 2 BIG boxes from UPS!

No problem...

The fin shape is a little out of spec as well.
You should get it pretty quick.

I just finished up my Intimidator 5" ( just needs paint).

JD

Thanks for the sharp eye JD! I didn't notice the fin thickness either! Will have to go into the file and change it to 3/16"(0.187 as listed on the WM site)..

Anxiously awaiting 2 BIG boxes from UPS!

Last edited:
I have an old version of the wildman in the garage. I also have a 6 inch endeavor I got on special. I also have a Nuclear Sledgehammer. I am trying to decide which one. Once I decide, I will come up with a plan. I have till February to come with a plan to start.

How in depth do the plans need to be?

Chuck Haislip

No problem...

The fin shape is a little out of spec as well.
You should get it pretty quick.

I just finished up my Intimidator 5" ( just needs paint).

JD

I hope it gets here soon! I am itching to do a 'dry fit' and have my picture taken next to MY 12 foot tall rocket!:D

The fin shape and placement of said fins was take as an 'eyeball' guesstimate using the picture on the WM site..Will get the fin shape 'official' once I get the kit in hot hands and do some measurements. ;)

its a nice kit pantherjon i have one but i have set it to the side as no work no play

Probably Tripoli, as there is a TAP nearby..Nearest NAR L3CC member is in the Atlanta area(in fact, both L3CC members are)..

This is the only mention of the cert team in this thread. Please be sure to check with your cert team before starting, and at every stage of construction. Get approval first, so there are no surprises for the TAP.

I'm a PR man myself, but the UW is a nice choice. Especially with the new longer booster tube. It'll take the 48" motor... :D

Best of luck with the cert. No real trick... Up fast, down slow. Doh! ;)

Cant wait to see a pic of that big-o-box. i have been watching the thread just havent said much looks like its going to be a fun build

Box(es) haven't arrived yet..Yep, the kit will be in !2! BIG boxes!..Once I have them I will certainly post pictures of them..Maybe drag this out much like the 'Mongoose Unboxing' thread?:roll:

I'm looking forward to following along with your progress.

I bought an Ultimate Wildman from Tim at Red Glare 7 and hope to find enough free time to start my documentation and building in the next few weeks.

You're going to be impressed by the size; my neighbor came over as I was unpacking it from the truck and his first words were - HOLY $@#%! :y: It is a truly impressive rocket, even standing next to the Extreme Wildman.

I managed to get in on the tail end of the CTI level 3 special and will use a M2505 for my cert. flight. RS puts it just over mach, but I expect that to drop once I get a more accurate model.

Well, rocket has been shipped!:D I am eagerly awaiting a brown truck to come to the drive with 2 BIG boxes!:roll: Hopefully it will be here on Tuesday(my next day off) so I can start on it! I will for sure be starting on it come next weekend if it doesn't show Tuesday, the real exciting first step with a fiberglass rocket- sanding:bangbang:...

There were these 2 really big boxes inside the front door when I got home tonight! :) Return address label says they are from some guy named Tim Lehr?:confused2: :p

YEAH, the rocket is here!:clap: BUT, I am just too danged tired to think about opening them right now..I mean, dragging them(they are HEAVY!) into the 'workshop' here really took it out of me!:rolleyes: So, until I get some beuty rest..So, see ya next week!:roll: Actually in about 8 hours I will be popping back in!..

MY ROCKET IS HERE!:D

Gee ....I had to read about it here?

Well, at 1Am, after being wet and cold for 8 hours humping hoses, 'a quick update post, then off to bed' was all that I had on my mind!:roll:

Plus at 1AM a 5oz cell phone feels like it weighs 100lbs! :p

Okay, so we now know that the kit is here..Came in 2 really big boxes.

Okay, here are the 2 boxes..Big, eh?
DSCF4016.jpg

I think half the weight might be all the tape at the top..But success! And something is revealed!
DSCF4018.jpg

Took some wrangling and a couple bumps to the ceiling:eyepop:, but here is the fin can tube..Holy shamoly! Compared to some of my other rockets, this alone would be a big rocket, and this is only HALF of it!
DSCF4019.jpg

Okay, I am tired..Now for something to drink..
DSCF4021.jpg

More later tonight after work! ;)

Okay, time to do some more unpacking!:) I won't be like Art and lead you on 20 postings before everything is revealed..LOL..

So, I come home tired and hungry. Grab a bite to eat and cut into the tape on the top of box #2! Ahhh, another tube shows its head!
DSCF4022.jpg

Pull the tube out, this time not hitting the ceiling!:) And also decided to pull out the nose cone as well..What a beauty! Gonna take a little bit of work, and it will be able to add the ful after beauti!
DSCF4023.jpg

As I said before, I am tired..So, upending the box to get the rest of the contents out..Nice beveled fins, wood centering rings, 4 bulkplates(in plastic), coupler ring and the motor tube. No wonder this box weighed 20 pounds!
DSCF4024.jpg

Okay, so now everything is out of the boxes...Coupler is still in the lower airframe tube..Will have to get about getting it out of there in the morning..

Next up, the REALLY exciting part: SANDING!:bangbang:

Not much progress made this weekend..Wake up Saturday feeling like poo..And 'stuff' just kept getting in the way..Did get the coupler out of the tube..Was a little exercise in finesse and brute strength..lol..Used the 2 larger bulkheads, set them up against the coupler and then a long wooden stick I could pound on..Got the coupler half out and then with some assistance was able to twist and pull it all the way out..

Here is what a 20" coupler looks like next to my 'Krapkin'
DSCF4027.jpg

Could be used as a piston launcher for it..:roll:
DSCF4029.jpg

Tonight I actually did some work on the rocket..The fun and exciting sanding..of the nose cone..Here is a before shot of one side, nice ugly mold line..
DSCF4030.jpg

And here it is after sanding during commercial breaks..About an hours worth..Other side is done as well as the shoulder of the cone..Got this really nice rough sandpaper from Blackjack and it knocked that seam ridge down in no time! :)
DSCF4032.jpg

And here the nose cone is in the payload tube! Such a nice smooth fit, and it slides out real smooth too, with just the right amount of resistance..You can see where the seam ridge USED to be in this shot, but the finger test tells me it is smooth!
DSCF4034.jpg

Hope to get a little bit more done on it come Tuesday..

Well, did some tweaking on my RockSim file..Got a 'cheat sheet' with weights of the components and went about inputting the correct weights. For things like the body tubes, fins, centering rings, nose cone, etc.In my original file I didn't have any of the 5 bulk plates- they are in there now..I believe my original RockSim file listed the dry weight of the rocket at like 10 or 11 pounds:rolleyes:. EDIT: Just looked at the original RS file..Dry Weight is 7.25 pounds!:eyepop::roll: JUST the lower tube is more then that! Pretty optimistic for a 12' tall rocket!:roll: I also added in a couple of sections of 1" tubular nylon which I will be using for my shock cords(30' lengths)..Now according to RockSim my dry weight is 30.1975 pounds, which sounds a lot more realistic..lol..Attached is the latest revision, version 2 of the file..

Now, my motor of choice is going to be a CTI M2505, utilizing the L3 special Ken is having at Performance Hobbies..Simulations put the rocket going to a tad over 11,000 feet, I know that RS is generally pretty optimistic on altitude predictions, so I realistically see it going almost 10k.

Questions: What is the criteria on a certification flights altitude in relation to the field waiver? Can the certification flight only go a percentage(say 90) of the waiver? Currently the waiver at Orangeburg is 10k, which is where I plan on doing the flight. Or is this a moot point and best left to the club BoD?

View attachment Wanted Dead or Alive v2.rkt

Last edited:
Questions: What is the criteria on a certification flights altitude in relation to the field waiver? Can the certification flight only go a percentage(say 90) of the waiver? Currently the waiver at Orangeburg is 10k, which is where I plan on doing the flight. Or is this a moot point and best left to the club BoD?
Pantherjon, a rocket that sims to 11K is highly unlikely to be allowed at Orangeburg. Far too likely to break the waiver. From my experience, with a 6" rocket you will need to use a 75/6000 size M motor. You will still get 7-8K altitude.

Pantherjon, a rocket that sims to 11K is highly unlikely to be allowed at Orangeburg. Far too likely to break the waiver. From my experience, with a 6" rocket you will need to use a 75/6000 size M motor. You will still get 7-8K altitude.

I sort of figured as much..But, needed to ask the question anyways..Well, guess a 75/5120 load will need to be the motor of choice. ALL the 98mm 'M' motors sim to over 10k..
The following is what is got in simming loads for the 5120 case(Low to high):
M1500G 7649
M1297W 8236
In the /6400 case:
M1550R 8040
M650W 9121
M1315 10222 oops! Over the waiver!:eek:

Guess right now my choice is going to be the M1500G in the /5120 case..

Wow Pantherjon 30.1975 thats not bad..Mine tops out at 34.5700 thats with shock chord + chutes

M-2505=9,069
M-2100=9,392
M-1800FJ--9,664
M-1419--9,089
M-1900-BB 7,324

Well thats what rocksim said it would do :roll:

Wow Pantherjon 30.1975 thats not bad..Mine tops out at 34.5700 thats with shock chord + chutes

M-2505=9,069
M-2100=9,392
M-1800FJ--9,664
M-1419--9,089
M-1900-BB 7,324

Well thats what rocksim said it would do :roll:

Well, that weight right now is just the parts weight..I am sure it will gain a couple of pounds in the build due to epoxy, filler and paint and the electronics..I suppose when I get done that the final dry weight should be close to that 34.5lb mark..Am going to do some experimenting in RS by adding some ballast and see if I can the altitude for the M2505 down below 10k, if it isn't too outrageous of an amount.:rolleyes: Otherwise will have to pursue other options for motor choice..

Back