Split Payload Fairing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emlang93

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has ever come across a rocket that has a payload fairing that works just like a orbital class rocket?
I am talking about a nose cone in 2 halfs, joined on the vertical plane in the center. Then at apogee they would separate and fall back under independent chutes. This would then expose the payload and the main parachute tubes.
A rocket team I am leading is attempting to do this on a scale New Glenn rocket. 17 feet tall and 18 inches in diameter. That leaves the payload fairing about 3.6 feet tall! Will also have 7 motors, but that thread is over in the clusters section.
I am actually not too concerned with the construction but more so will the separation mechanism needed to get a clean and reliable split. I expect LOTS of test for this.

-Evan
TRA 16099 L3

During his first or maybe second time on The Rocketry Show podcast Jolly Logic’s John Beans talked about doing something along those lines as a potential product but I haven’t heard or read anything else about it since.

I've designed something like that.

One side has a "cap", the other has a tab that fits in the cap. The shoulder holds them together at the bottom. When the ejection charge fires, the shoulder gets pushed out of the body tube, and the halves fall apart (a spring could be added to ensure separation, but shouldn't be needed).

The tube, and the two halves each have a chute.

Last edited:
Back