Hybrids For 2016

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry Bill,

I haven't checked in a while. Yup I'm one of the ROC hybrid guys, as far as anything you should know in advance for LDRS? I will have GSE and a limited amount of gas, I recommend bringing your own tank if you have one. I don't have a pump but I do have a fill hose that we can use for transferring from one tank to another. I have a 50lb and a 20 lb tank that I plan to bring with me. My plan is to set up one system at the back pads and one at the mid.

I will be on the playa Wed morn-Thursday afternoon, and then back Friday afternoon - Sunday.

If you plan to launch Hypertek, you may need to bring your own drop tube and O2.

What are you planning to launch? Size Flavor etc?

Time (build time) permitting, I plan to launch an H (Ratt) Rocket Glider, I (Ratt), J (aerotech), K(skyripper), 2K's at once (Ratt) and a M Contrail. I'm really hoping I get both of the K's to light on the double!

Send me a message if you need my phone number.

Mike K

In late 2014 I modeled up three grain configurations based off of reloads from the now defunct SkyRipper Systems (29mm, 38mm & 54mm). A few people had expressed interest in getting .stl graphic files for 3D printing, yet no one has reported back on whether or not they printed from the file, or if the 3D printing was usable as a fuel grain. After waiting 6-months for a co-worker to print a grain for me, I have decided to order from a local print shop, Chuck's Hub; and $7.22 for two prints is a pretty sweet deal. If the prints are nice, I will seek out 38mm and 54mm.

The material is ABS, which is what SRS motors were made from, and are layered at 100 micron. I ordered two, one to burn, and one to use as a silicon mold model, should I pursue pour casting my ABS fuel grains... $7.22 is hard to beat!! I will report more when I know more.

I have a 3d printer, and would really like to get the STL (or a cad file!) of the skyriper

Mike K

Last edited:
Not a problem, I should have the new grains on Monday for evaluation. I figure if they are not as dense as the original injection molded grains, I could at least use them to cast molds for mold casting my own grains...

I need to get my tank over to the gas shop for testing and refill, and I will be ready for some testing after that.

Yes locally, should have them in a couple hours. May use the test stand that you and CJ built... we can talk later when I get everything together.

100 micron listed during the ordering process, and the print guy stated 10,000 resolution...(?) Since I do not have any printer experience, this is all I have to go on. I will weigh an original SRS grain when I get home, and compare it with these prints. I will also compare the prints against each other for consistency.

Have you printed from the files yet?

Did he print them with 100% fill? If not they will perform very poorly. What do they weigh?

Mike K

Here is the data that I have on the weights from the three grains evaluated; both printed and one original SRS grain (on the right)

IMG_9056.jpg

The original grain weighed in at 37.5 grams...

IMG_9057.jpg

Each of the other two printed grains were an even 35 grains each...

IMG_9058.jpg IMG_9060.jpg

The grains are roughly 93% of the same density as the injection molded grains from SkyRipper.

IMG_9061.JPG IMG_9062.JPG

looks like he did do 100% fill (you will get some porosity with 3d printed parts). Sorry to raise a false alarm.

Haven't had a chance to print them yet, been busy getting ready for LDRS, 3 hybrids prepped so far, 3 more to go.

Mike K

looks like he did do 100% fill (you will get some porosity with 3d printed parts). Sorry to raise a false alarm.

Haven't had a chance to print them yet, been busy getting ready for LDRS, 3 hybrids prepped so far, 3 more to go.

Mike K

Not at all, with anything new we need to make sure the alarms are in place. One thing I will point out, 3D printing is not very cost effective for me at the moment, as these 2 grains cost me $26 with all of the fees and tax. The original reloads from SkyRipper cost $29, which included (3) of everything: all tubes, fittings, starter grains, and fuel grains. Granted, SkyRipper is no more, and having this option is far better than nothing at all. If this works out well, I will look into getting a 3D printer of my own... Lord knows I have enough assets laying around that I could sell something to fund it.

I hope all goes well with your flight plans at LDRS. It would be great if you had other prospective hybrid fliers to share the sky with... I am most definitely looking forward to pics and video of your projects.

Not at all, with anything new we need to make sure the alarms are in place. One thing I will point out, 3D printing is not very cost effective for me at the moment, as these 2 grains cost me $26 with all of the fees and tax. The original reloads from SkyRipper cost $29, which included (3) of everything: all tubes, fittings, starter grains, and fuel grains. Granted, SkyRipper is no more, and having this option is far better than nothing at all. If this works out well, I will look into getting a 3D printer of my own... Lord knows I have enough assets laying around that I could sell something to fund it.

I hope all goes well with your flight plans at LDRS. It would be great if you had other prospective hybrid fliers to share the sky with... I am most definitely looking forward to pics and video of your projects.

Our local library prints things for ten cents a gram, so this would cost ~$4 per grain.

I've made grains from solid ABS bar that was cost effective. To get the internal pattern I turned them on a lathe to get all the lips/edges correct and then put them on a CNC router to do the internals. I didn't do the outside ribs.

Edward

[video=youtube;xirKHQjEHng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xirKHQjEHng[/video]

Turns out 11 is louder....

130 dB.... got them both to light.

Mike K

Getting things ready for our Rock Lake launch at the end of the month here. Planned flights are a Contrail 2 stage M2281 to a K234 or K555. Jury is still out what way to go in the sustainer. It will depend on the forecasted winds. Going for a cluster flight of 3 contrail K555 in a 5.5" upscale Norad. Going to try and fit in a couple of HyperTEK flights as well. A K240 and a L540. Too many motors and not enough time! ;) I think all these will be wishful thinking. Also sharing RSO duties for the launch as well. :) I also need to hire a camera person! I'm the worst for not doing pictures of my flights. Guess the main reason is I'm the one always pushing the button! ;)

Jason

So the Rock Lake launch came and went with great weather on the Friday and Saturday and Sunday brought some real stiff winds. Friday I flew the cluster of 3 k555 Contrails. The flight was a little exciting as only two of the three motors lit for me. All was good with the rocket landing under chute with no problems. Saturday I flew the M2281 Contrail to the K555 Contrail. It was a bit of a trick to arm electronics as you can see from the picture. I just about chickened out from getting up there! View attachment 296203 But I am sure glad I did! The M lit with authority and 19 feet of rocket goodness jumped into the sky. When the M2281 burnt out the booster drag separated perfectly and when the sustainer slowed down to 400ft/sec away it went and the **** eating grin that is still stuck on my face started about then! :) Great flight with both stages recovering as planned. With the stiff winds on Sunday only two of us decided to fly. I threw together a HyperTEK k240 together for a quick flight. Well as they say if you fly them you will break them! Had a bit of a motor issue and the grain split length ways and promptly disassembled the fin can. The "neat" part was that the grain totally sealed back up and you have to look real close to see the hairline crack in it. I still need to get it pulled apart and see if I can see anything that may have caused the problem.

All in all a very fun launch with the two stage minimising the pain of the failure on Sunday! ;)

I also know there were a lot of pictures taken as well as some video and as it starts surfacing I'll get it posted up as I can.

Jason

I didn't have time to recycle my minimum diameter N motor for this weekend. I flew it about a month ago but have only been home for two weeks - vacation and work. I'm going to take my time and get it ready for October. In the meantime, I'm finally building a 5.5" rocket for the throttleable hybrid.

Edward

Latest posts

Back