Hybrids 2020

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new 54mm CNVA injector was what caused me to switch out a 38mm MMT on the new carbon fiber laminate — modified Apogee Peregrine that I’m building.

If you had 38mm CNVA injectors with motor loads I wouldn’t have switched. I have a full set of 38mm hybrid motors, and like the price and performance of the 38s.

What do I have to do to express demand?

I’m also waiting to see the Contrail Rockets and Pratt Hobbies websites updated. I also need the RockSim motors database updated at the same time so that I can simulate the new motor loads.
On the ContrailRockets.net you can find the 38 mm CNVA injector baffle and also CNVA.
PM at [email protected].

On the ContrailRockets.net you can find the 38 mm CNVA injector baffle and also CNVA.
PM at [email protected].
I saw ContrailRockets.net website and the 54mm 1/8 NPT and 1/4 MPT Injector Baffle for the (CNVA) Contrail Nickle Vortex Adapter. Neither one had an off-axis hole for venting.

I didn’t see a #2 CNVA and neither CNVA description mentioned getting rid of the external vent. Is there a document that I’m missing.

I’ll PM you tomorrow.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter to me if you do, I wasn't implying you to do so anyway. Just one question though, If I order 54MM system would it come with this new venting?
Existing hardware in 54 mm is on shelf ready to ship. This newest design works in the CNVA injector baffle which will require modifications to accept internal vent. The existing top bulkhead has the old vent removed and then replaced with a brass plug threaded to accept the silver machined with vent 1/8 inch push to connect. I made this at a customer’s request but loved the idea of eliminating the top vent. Now I am looking to see the interest before having parts machined in bulk.

Existing hardware in 54 mm is on shelf ready to ship. This newest design works in the CNVA injector baffle which will require modifications to accept internal vent. The existing top bulkhead has the old vent removed and then replaced with a brass plug threaded to accept the silver machined with vent 1/8 inch push to connect. I made this at a customer’s request but loved the idea of eliminating the top vent. Now I am looking to see the interest before having parts machined in bulk.
  1. Have instruction documents been released for making the modifications to an existing 54mm Contrail motor? These are needed to assess the impact on making modifications to existing motor hardware and rocket designs.
  2. Does this internally-vented CNVA injector baffle work safely with other Contrail hybrid reloads besides the the J-200 BS that you’ve listed. Or will a vented forward bulkhead need to be used, along with a side vent tube and hole in the wall of the rocket’s airframe for the other 54mm reloads?
  3. Were separate Tripoli motor certifications required for the internally-vented CNVA injector baffle configured motor reloads (and more broadly, with all CVNA injector baffle configured motor reloads) because of their 40% increase in thrust? If not, doesn’t this represent a serious gap in the motor certification requirements? Such significant changes in the injector baffle configuration drastically affect the motor performance. High power rocketeers depend on the motor certifications to assure them of motor safety and to describe each motors thrust curve performance.
  4. Will there be ThrustCurve.org performance data be released for each CVNA injector baffle — configured motor reload, whether internally vented or not? I rely on RockSim simulations for assessing launch safety, and for comparing rocket motors and hardware configurations to determine which ones to use. A 40% difference in performance is significant, and something that needs to be captured in the simulation.
  5. Or should this internally-vented CNVA injector baffle be regarded as a special hardware configuration for only the J-200 BS and other motors that are certified for use with it?
  6. Your ContrailRockets.org website also shows nozzle bell divergent sections for use with certain nozzles and reloads. How do these affect the thrust curve performance?
I’ll be PM-ing you later with specifics about my individual situation

Weather has been great here any day under 100 is great. Arizona is tied with all time record with 143 days over 100 and they expect over the next week to see several more 100+ days.
Have been busy at shop and missed your question.
The internal vent hardware will be a drop in replacement for all 54 mm motors new and existing. To fly certified reloads the CNVA is removed allowing the bulkhead to be used as an internal vented bulkhead. Contrail Rockets will be certifying this part in existing tank sizes as well as the new 20 inch tank. Manuals and pricing to be added to the ContrailRockets.net site once certified.
Presently the 54 mm certified line is limited to 12 reloads in either the Black Gold or Sparky II fuels. Several new fuels and grain configurations are to be certified across all 54 mm motors.
The Goal was to find the interest and in what direction we should move in the 54 mm line. The creation of a combustion chamber vented 54 mm part that is universal in existing motors or available with the addition of a CNVA to boost performance which allows for shorter motors like the 20 inch motor makes sense.

Last edited:
Weather has been great here any day under 100 is great. Arizona is tied with all time record with 143 days over 100 and they expect over the next week to see several more 100+ days.
Have been busy at shop and missed your question.
The internal vent hardware will be a drop in replacement for all 54 mm motors new and existing. To fly certified reloads the CNVA is removed allowing the bulkhead to be used as an internal vented bulkhead. Contrail Rockets will be certifying this part in existing tank sizes as well as the new 20 inch tank. Manuals and pricing to be added to the ContrailRockets.net site once certified.
Presently the 54 mm certified line is limited to 12 reloads in either the Black Gold or Sparky II fuels. Several new fuels and grain configurations are to be certified across all 54 mm motors.
The Goal was to find the interest and in what direction we should move in the 54 mm line. The creation of a combustion chamber vented 54 mm part that is universal in existing motors or available with the addition of a CNVA to boost performance which allows for shorter motors like the 20 inch motor makes sense.
Bravo! I have three 54mm multi-configuration rockets (fiberglass, Blue Tube, and carbon fiber clad cardboard) under construction for the full range of Contrail 54s.

Back