Gifts that make you go meh

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that as my wife and I are now in our 50s, I have abandoned the quest for new "stuff". We are financially well off enough that if I want something, I just go get it, unless it is pretty expensive. I don't need more "stuff", particularly "stuff" that is given by well meaning people, who don't know my interests well enough to get me something that I can actually use and/or want. I tell them just a card please. I even dislike gift cards because they generally restrict where I can use the money. If you must give me a gift card, give me cash instead please.

Now my wife, semi-hoarder that she is, she loves her clutter. I try to not feed the clutter, instead getting her things that are consumable, like bath products, specialty beer, etc. In no way does she need more "stuff", that's for sure. The clutter level is already high enough. She gets lots of "stuff" from her co-workers and brother in law. Sheeze, that crapola piles up. I think she's on her 15th throw blanket. I did get her to regift some of the stuff, but wow. If she dies before I do, I'm going to have to get a rental dumpster to get rid of all the stuff she has accumulated.

Its also no wonder why my son has developed a case of hoarding and never getting rid of ANYTHING. His Mom sets an example.
Would you be happy to receive a gift card for a dumpster rental?

I actually like fruitcake (especially the kind with a Christmas spice note and doused with brandy). I’m a little bit bummed I didn’t get any fruitcake this year.

Socks....

BUT all is good. My cousin is currently studying at University of South Carolina 👍

USC_Socks.jpg

We got another box of Ferroro Rocher candies this year. Meh. My wife and I don't understand the appeal of these. At best I rate them OK. There so many better alternatives to these. Anyway, we got the sampler box, so 25% of them have coconut which she won't eat, and I barely tolerate. MEH!

What is the gift that makes you go Meh?
Looks like the "Meh of Ferroro Rocher" candy is not limited to the US. In taking out my trash today, I *LITERALLY* found this... It appears that the translation for "meh". is "哦好好/Ó, hǎo hǎo" which literally translates to "Ok... Good Good" (before being sent to the trash at the first opportunity). I'm sure our building's security guy was puzzled by why I'd be taking a couple of photos of the trash bins.

1704109681909.png

I had to ask one of my coworkers for the equivalent of "meh", another possible response would be "你太客气了/Nǐ tài kèqìle" (You shouldn't have).

And incase anyone is curious... I didn't take anything (other than photos) of them.

Last edited:
Use it as padding for your rocketry electronics. I'm pretty sure that stuff is indestructible.
Fruitcake and Styrofoam are both illegal to ship to California, no exceptions.

Underwear from my mother, but since she passed I would love to whine meh again.
Mom bought my brother men's thongs one year. She just liked the color and didn't pay attention to the style. Dave tried to downplay things, but I was on the ball that day and let everyone know what he got. Mom passed last year on Christmas day, so I'm in the same boat as you. We kept her memory alive by bringing up the Christmas thong story this year. The gift that keeps on giving.

Mom gave me a man's thong. She was assuming my love life needed a little kick. Of course I was a bit chagrined. She passed away in 2006 and yeah seeing her again would be the greatest Christmas present ever.
I'm not sure how that works. Is bisected ass-hair a turn on for the ladies? Asking for a friend.

Mom bought my brother men's thongs one year. She just liked the color and didn't pay attention to the style. Dave tried to downplay things, but I was on the ball that day and let everyone know what he got. Mom passed last year on Christmas day, so I'm in the same boat as you. We kept her memory alive by bringing up the Christmas thong story this year. The gift that keeps on giving.

Hard to down play that. Especially is she asks if you wear them.

I bought my wife wool socks. But she works outside and in cold horse barns. Besides that, she's always cold and huddled under blankets on the couch with warmed up rice or corn bags as heat boosters. She's already wearing them... indoors.

They fix most everything for the Dr

View attachment 622702
OT but for ages I assumed "jelly babies" were jelly beans, like "Jelly Belly" but British. Just a few years ago I found out from a Yorkshireman friend that no, they're actually sort of like gumdrops and shaped like babies.

I'd *love* to get some socks as a present! Because of the bandages on my foot, about the only thing that will fit is a Posey (brand) sock. They're over $9/pair.

Back