Gifts that make you go meh

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fruitcake: yes, especially with e marzipan on top!
Eggnogg: no. single malt, neat & some NEIPA on the side...
I have had good fruitcake and terrible ones.We usually gift homemade treats among family. My great-aunt makes a pretty good fruitcake.

I like homemade eggnog, whatever they sell in stores as eggnog makes me gag.

Aprons. My sister in law got the entire family aprons. The only reason she did this was because it was easy and she started a part time job at a craft store and one of her coworkers made them for cheap probably out of scrap pieces from the store. At least I am getting use out of mine because its good for keeping epoxy off my clothes when using epoxy on a rocket.

Summer Sausage and Cheese gift set my wife got for Christmas. My wife and I have never eaten that stuff.

Funnier yet was years later at a family party someone started a discussion about awful gifts and I mentioned it and one of my wife's in-laws said "Hey, I got that for you guys!" 😅

@NateB yes, I agree, like a lot of things in life, some are great, some oare blech. and most are OK / passable.

We once had a cat who like fruit cake.

Now, what about English "Christmas Pudding"? I get one every year for my dad & I (Being English & all..) and yes, "brady & flames" prior to serving, along with brandy butter..

Not meh. I was just given from fun socks from the Emergency physicians group who oversees our program. Not too thrilled with the rhythm depicted though.

PSX_20231222_100343.jpg

I'm OK with the Ferroro Rocher stuff, but wouldn't pay full price for it myself. I love Sarris chocolates and had a vendor who used to send us a box each year. I acted like Golem with that one.

A funny one is the year my wife asked me to buy her lint balls for Christmas. She preferred the blue ones, but was OK with the orange and didn't like the yellow. I'm scratching my head for sure until I figured out they were the Lindt Truffle Balls. I really like all of those, but again will only buy if on sale, as I don't need to eat them and surely don't need to waste money on getting fatter with junk food.

Back on question, though: Pretty much any tool that I didn't pick out myself. I am very particular about tools and will pay crazy money for the perfect tool and on (very rare) occasions will pay next to nothing for a single use tool. In general, though, I want specific things and the 'for only 3 easy payments of $19.95' 'fit any bolt wrench-o-matic 5000', I'm just bummed. That means some (likely distant relative or casual acquaintance) felt the need to buy something and did and I don't ever want to try to use it or even let it take up space in a toolbox. I guess that might be a little meh++, so for a nominal meh, I'd say generic puzzles. I like doing puzzles, but I also like doing puzzles that are unique. I bet I get a puzzle or two every year and I'm just not that into 'lighthouses of eastern bla-dref-onesia', compared to some sci-fi thing or a place I've been or want to go.

Feel free to send the coconut chocolates, though. I've got a lighthouse puzzle or two I'll trade!
Actually See's candy is really.

I think gift that are home made for you are definitel to be appreciated. If you ever thumb through some of these catalogs and look at the quality of the food items, its depressing especially what they expect you to pay for them. I use to make fudge every year and give as gifts, but this year I dfecided not to. Just a lot fo work and taking abreak from it.

As far as my meh gifts would be PJ's or sweaters. I live in Southern California so there really isn't a need for neither, maybe PJ bottoms? Lately I've been Christmas tree ordiments. I never put up a tree or have guest over, so I fly solo.

On another topic what do you do when somneone gives you a gift and you weren't aware you were exchanging gifts with this person? Kind of ackward? Hey thanks, but Uh I didn't you anything, maybe a heads up let me know if we are exchanging gifts?

I don't like that obligation espcially when you receive it a day before Christmas.

Actually See's candy is really.
I was assuming a typo, but did a search and those look really good too. Might have to give them a shot. I only knew about Sarris because of a vendor, but they've been my go-to for real treats ever since. Seems like Sees might be in the same range (i.e. expensive enough to enjoy on occasion, but not so much that I can afford to get fat. . .).

Thanks!

I've had See's and it is good.
There was a See's store in the big shopping center in town.
Don't know if it's still there.
My family always used to receive Whitman's sampler back in the day.
And Hickory farms.
Tiny little sausage chubs and cheese spreads.
And tiny jars of jelly.
Enough to tickle the mouth.
Heh.

We got another box of Ferroro Rocher candies this year. Meh. My wife and I don't understand the appeal of these. At best I rate them OK. There so many better alternatives to these. Anyway, we got the sampler box, so 25% of them have coconut which she won't eat, and I barely tolerate. MEH!

What is the gift that makes you go Meh?
Mail it to me and I'll dispose of it for you. :)

Back in the day, bad children got coal in their stocking because the coal is needed anyways to heat the house and stove. These days, bad children get socks and underwear because parents have to buy it for them anyways. The difference between developed countries and undeveloped is access to clean underwear. When you think about it, there's quite a lot of infrastructure needed to keep underwear clean and usable.

Kg7fYuH.gif

Anyways, this is the time of year when we drag a dirty tree into the house that leaves a mess and take children to the mall to put them on the lap of an old stranger that smells like beef and cheese. Merry Christmas. :)

giphy.gif

Anybody remember Frango's chocolates?
Might be a different name now, they got sold to another company.
My mom liked the dark chocolate mints.
I liked the rum and coffee flavors.

I happen to like both fruitcake and eggnog. The missus not so much.
I like fruitcake and eggnog too. My wife really likes eggog. We've been watching our calories and haven't bought any yet this year but I'll be sure to buy some tomorrow. I have a few things to add to the eggnog.

I don't mind clothes presents if it's something I want and will wear, I've gotten a few over the past few years such as shirts for hiking, flannel pajamas, etc. My daughter gave me some colorful wool socks and I will wear them. She moved to Colorado so she got me colorful socks with the state flag symbol on them. They are warm and I wear them.

My extended family would do the christmas gift give/take thing where you draw numbers and go in order. You pick something from the pile of gifts and open it, someone who goes after you can take your gift or open a new one, and so forth. My wife's extended family would exchange gifts- the guys exchanging with the guys, girls with the girls. The first time we did that the other guys had an agreement that they would buy a gift they wanted and wrap it, then give it back to themselves, but they forgot to tell me. I bought a gift the same as something I already owned so I had to exchange with one of them. I got a pretty nice camelback brand insulated thermos that I still use today, but it was probably about the same price as the gift I took. These days they just do family gifts of food items, can be homemade or storebought so my wife was making cookies today and will continue tomorrow.

I was assuming a typo, but did a search and those look really good too. Might have to give them a shot. I only knew about Sarris because of a vendor, but they've been my go-to for real treats ever since. Seems like Sees might be in the same range (i.e. expensive enough to enjoy on occasion, but not so much that I can afford to get fat. . .).

Thanks!
You will definitely enjoy them.

https://manitousprings.org/events/fruitcake-toss/

How do you get rid of fruitcake?​

Just throw it as far as you can, that’s what we do in Manitou Springs.
Friend in TX, not a rocket person, gets all the fruitcakes from his coworkers and puts them out for the hogs at the ranch on Christmas eve.
Happy hogs, I bet they would enjoy some Nog with a little sumthin' sumthin' in it.

My wife and I are kind of particular about our stuff and not great about knowing exactly what the other wants, so now we mostly buy things for ourselves and hand them off to the other and say, “Here, wrap this up for me and stick it under the tree.” Christmas day is a fun day of unwrapping things we knew we wanted, with a few surprises mixed in.

I’ve had plenty of “meh“ gifts over the years, but mostly because I’m very particular, and I also hate waste. So someone will give me something related to my interests, but not exactly right, and I get mixed feelings about appreciating the thought and effort, but regretting the actual thing. I know that’s my own hang up.

Mostly, if someone is unsure exactly what I want, decent food or beverages are always appreciated.

I find that as my wife and I are now in our 50s, I have abandoned the quest for new "stuff". We are financially well off enough that if I want something, I just go get it, unless it is pretty expensive. I don't need more "stuff", particularly "stuff" that is given by well meaning people, who don't know my interests well enough to get me something that I can actually use and/or want. I tell them just a card please. I even dislike gift cards because they generally restrict where I can use the money. If you must give me a gift card, give me cash instead please.

Now my wife, semi-hoarder that she is, she loves her clutter. I try to not feed the clutter, instead getting her things that are consumable, like bath products, specialty beer, etc. In no way does she need more "stuff", that's for sure. The clutter level is already high enough. She gets lots of "stuff" from her co-workers and brother in law. Sheeze, that crapola piles up. I think she's on her 15th throw blanket. I did get her to regift some of the stuff, but wow. If she dies before I do, I'm going to have to get a rental dumpster to get rid of all the stuff she has accumulated.

Its also no wonder why my son has developed a case of hoarding and never getting rid of ANYTHING. His Mom sets an example.

Back