Estes 1969 Saturn V Status

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever AC Supply Co gets them in, the price will be 40% off (about $54).

They have free shipping with orders of $100 or more, so either buy two to hit $100 or get lots of engines (also at 40% off).

Whenever AC Supply Co gets them in, the price will be 40% off (about $54).

They have free shipping with orders of $100 or more, so either buy two to hit $100 or get lots of engines (also at 40% off).

Is that a confirmed quote from AC Supply? Three weeks ago, the placeholder they had for it said it'd be discounted the 40% like everything else Estes there. Now there is a "TBA" in the price column (just looked today). Once you get 5 bazillion "here is my e-mail, notify me when it comes in" you might rethink your discount level for that item... It's possible they're just not committing to a price until the goods are in, but I guess you never know....

I have no specific for the Saturn-V price, but would be surprised if it was not at least 40% off like they advertise for Estes prices on their home page:

"All at least 40% off"

https://www.acsupplyco.com/home.htm

"ALL" should mean, well, you know.... :)

(Unless AC Supply is related to Alabama Power with their "Always On" slogan, which I loathed due to the frequent power outages. :( Like, no concept of what "Always" means).

Anyway..... always have gotten great service from AC Supply Co.
And yes in my case "always" means just that. ;)

Last edited:
I have no specific for the Saturn-V price, but would be surprised if it was not at least 40% off like they advertise for Estes prices on their home page:

"All at least 40% off"

https://www.acsupplyco.com/home.htm

"ALL" should mean, well, you know.... :)

(Unless AC Supply is related to Alabama Power with their "Always On" slogan, which I loathed due to the frequent power outages. :( Like, no concept of what "Always" means).

Anyway..... always have gotten great service from AC Supply Co.
And yes in my case "always" means just that. ;)

Well... We'll see how it plays out. I'm planning on picking up one more eventually, and 40% off would sure help!

Going to be fun picking out the other kits I plan to order along with the Saturn V to get past $100 for free shipping... a Little Joe I, a Little Joe II, ... hmmm...well of course, another Saturn V would do it also.

Going to be fun picking out the other kits I plan to order along with the Saturn V to get past $100 for free shipping... a Little Joe I, a Little Joe II, ... hmmm...well of course, another Saturn V would do it also.
I'm eyeballing the Little Joe I and a Mercury Redstone.

Homer

ordered 1
will buy another later on.
I wanted to leave them to go around.
Thanks for the heads up

Got mine and it is time to start planning to build. I'm relying heavily on the Estes Saturn V bible: Old Testament & New Testament. I'm thinking based on these and my own experience when I was 16, that the engine mount needs some beefing up. I'm thinking to put end-grain balsa "spokes" along the back of the centering rings from the inner tube to outer tube. Do you think four spokes are enough to stiffen/strengthen without too much weight? I'm leaning towards scale size fins... any suggestions?

Homer

Last edited:
Got mine and it is time to start planning to build. I'm referring heavily on the Estes Saturn V bible: Old Testament & New Testament. I'm thinking based on these and my own experience when I was 16, that the engine mount needs some beefing up. I'm thinking to put end-grain balsa "spokes" along the back of the centering rings from the inner tube to outer tube. Do you think four spokes are enough to stiffen/strengthen without too much weight? I'm leaning towards scale size fins... any suggestions?

Homer
Why bother I understand the #1969 is built for F motors

Why bother I understand the #1969 is built for F motors
When I built one in the late '70s/early '80s, the motor mount left the launch pad a fraction of a second before the rest of the rocket. It wasn't pretty. Some of that was super impatient me, but I'm not the only one.

Homer

Build the Saturn with a 29mm mount. You’ll have more fun. That rocket honestly isn’t designed for 24mm. You can always adapt down but never up.

The recommended motors for #1969 are E12-4 and E30-4. I would be leery of the E12 (build light, absolutely no wind), but the E30 will be just fine built stock, along with the RMS E18, E28, F24, maybe even the F35. No beefing up of the MM should be necessary, but a little balsa wouldn't hurt - even 1/16" balsa spokes would add a lot of strength. Just check your CG when done building, and be prepared to add nose weight (don't glue in the capsule).

The recommended motors for #1969 are E12-4 and E30-4. I would be leery of the E12 (build light, absolutely no wind), but the E30 will be just fine built stock, along with the RMS E18, E28, F24, maybe even the F35. No beefing up of the MM should be necessary, but a little balsa wouldn't hurt - even 1/16" balsa spokes would add a lot of strength. Just check your CG when done building, and be prepared to add nose weight (don't glue in the capsule).

The AT F35 gives my HV Arcas quite a ride actually... Not high flying mind you but it's quick off the pad. I think it might be just a bit much for the Saturn 5 w/o any reinforcement. Just an opinion... I *could* be wrong.

Winner winner chicken dinner: gussets for paper centering rings. Should work with either 24 or 29 mm mount.
Homer
That should keep the weight down. I had a Centuri S1B ages ago. I took out the two engine motor mount and replaced it with a single estes D motor mount because a) construction was more simple, and b) one D motor weights less than two C6 motors. I thought I was home free.... the first flight was on a single C6-3 believe it or not (the instructions implied two B6's would be fine so I figured no problem). It flew well enough and deployment was high enough that it was a pretty good flight for 100-150 feet. I then put in the D motor.... three loops and then it drilled straight into the ground! That same day the my K36 saturn 5 (that I modded for two D motors and had flown that way four times... great flights) suffered a failed ignition on one of the motors... tipped off the rod arced over and drilled itself into the ground. I think the ejection charge going off on the ground caused half the damage. I still have *most* of the pieces... I had planned on repairs but I lost some of the vac-formed fins on the IB and the V is was scarred up. I don't think here, thirty years later, that any repairs will actually ever be made! THAT was a BAD day.

Moral of the story: check the C/G!

The AT F35 ... might be just a bit much for the Saturn 5 w/o any reinforcement.
I flew mine built stock on an AT F44 and it held up OK, but frankly the liftoff is just too fast on the higher-thrust motors to be worth it. IMHO, one doesn't fly Saturns for the performance but the spectacle.

I flew mine built stock on an AT F44 and it held up OK, but frankly the liftoff is just too fast on the higher-thrust motors to be worth it. IMHO, one doesn't fly Saturns for the performance but the spectacle.
I’m impressed it held up to an F44, guess those card stock rings are quite strong.

Back