Estes 1969 Saturn V Status

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if there is a Saturn 1B capsule/nose cone available. I have an old version built in 70's that I am restoring and an upgrade to the capsule would be great Thanx.. Sorry if this forum is just meant for the V but thought I would ask....
What scale. Shapeways.com has a few in different scales. The one I bought is a really nice 1:100.

It is the Estes old BT 101 version. not sure of scale.
tcampbell at shapeways.com has a boost protection cover and service module. He's working on getting the escape tower to market. All are 3D printed.

Semroc's Estes capsule LES kit would be the one to get for the K-29, although I am not sure if they are available from Semroc right now. Ebay may have one and I believe Apogee's capsule is also available separately.

Does anyone know if there is a Saturn 1B capsule/nose cone available. I have an old version built in 70's that I am restoring and an upgrade to the capsule would be great Thanx.. Sorry if this forum is just meant for the V but thought I would ask....
This fits the 1/70 scale Saturn 1B. Old school balsa and cardstock:
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-capsule-apollo-sem-ks-2/
Apogee has a plastic set in 1/70 scale:
https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...s-for-the-Saturn-V/Apollo-Capsule-Set?cpath=&

Semroc's Estes capsule LES kit would be the one to get for the K-29, although I am not sure if they are available from Semroc right now. Ebay may have one and I believe Apogee's capsule is also available separately.
The Apogee capsule is available. It's a nice one.

If it is 1/100 scale, isn't it just the same? If so, you can either beg one from Estes or there are printed ones like this one. The same person also has it in more pieces.

Homer

The BT-101 based Saturn 1B is the 1/70 scale kit. The capsule for that one was designed to fit a (I believe) Estes BT-70. Concerning the 1/100 capsule, I hope to get my grubby paws on a couple for restoration and upgrade projects as this new capsule and LES look rugged enough to survive ascent and landing better than the old LES did. Especially if I plan to build and fly my 1/100 Little Joe II kit on 18mm engines instead of the mini ones.

It is the 1/70 version. I checked an old Estes catalogue. Yes it has cheap, but extremely light balsa and card stock. New capsule sounds great, gonna check those out. What is the boost protection cover? This rocket has paper fin assembly thats shot. Is this the boost cover? Thanks for everyones help, Ted

The real life boost protection cover was a fiberglass and cork shell that fit over the lower half of the Apollo capsule, protecting it from the heat of launch. In the kit it is a cardstock printed shroud.
If you like challenging builds, then you can renovate your Saturn 1B exactly like the original: Balsa and cardstock capsule with wooden dowels for the launch escape tower, and balsa skeleton with cardstock covered fins. Considered a rite of passage by some old timers.
On the other hand if you like quick and easy, go with the plastic capsule and solid balsa, basswood, or 3d printed fins. Check for stability, add nose weight if necessary.

The real life boost protection cover was a fiberglass and cork shell that fit over the lower half of the Apollo capsule, protecting it from the heat of launch. In the kit it is a cardstock printed shroud.
If you like challenging builds, then you can renovate your Saturn 1B exactly like the original: Balsa and cardstock capsule with wooden dowels for the launch escape tower, and balsa skeleton with cardstock covered fins. Considered a rite of passage by some old timers.
On the other hand if you like quick and easy, go with the plastic capsule and solid balsa, basswood, or 3d printed fins. Check for stability, add nose weight if necessary.
I would love to go accurate but I already put in a 24" motor mount in place of the cluster and replaced the bottom tube and added balsa fins, although I like the 3d bottom but have only seen 1/100 versions. My older brother built it very well back in the 70's but it never flew, got knocked around and beat up. I can't get over how light it is and imagine keeping it accurate would preserve that and it could really be fun to fly. Thanks, Ted

I would love to go accurate but I already put in a 24" motor mount in place of the cluster and replaced the bottom tube and added balsa fins, although I like the 3d bottom but have only seen 1/100 versions. My older brother built it very well back in the 70's but it never flew, got knocked around and beat up. I can't get over how light it is and imagine keeping it accurate would preserve that and it could really be fun to fly. Thanks, Ted
Check out accur8 on Ebay. They have a 1:70 Saturn 1b thrust structure. It's made for the semroc version but, it may work for you.

Estes part number for the plastic capsule parts pack is 033201. But I doubt they have any in stock to sell at this time.

When I encountered my wrap problem I called them up and they said they didn't have any extras of the wraps. I hope they do offer the capsule as I also have an Estes 1/100 Saturn 1B I would like to finish/restore and the original LES took some damage years ago. The new one looks like it should survive (over) powered flight in a much better state as the original LES cage structure was a bit delicate. I tested the limits of the original capsule when I modified an Estes 1/100 Little Joe II to fly on 18mm motors. I got a couple good flights off of C6-5s (including a scale Little Joe flight profile at the top with a slight corkscrew tumble coast appearance before the ejection charge went off). But the LES was always prone to taking damage.

My 1:100 Little Joe II LES is more glue than plastic these days I've repaired it so often (it is one of my favorites to fly). Although the motor housing has more detail than on the new Saturn V.

My kit came with 2 packages of qty 2 1/4 oz clay squares. The instructions only show a qty of 2. I know if I cram all 4 in I'll buy some stability margin. However I'm trying to build light, but made a few small mods, like balsa blocks with screw eyes for the parachutes, instead of tea bags, and some balsa gussets on the top and bottom centering rings. (Should be pretty negligible weight wise) Thoughts?

Well, at long last the beast is built. So I couldn't resist a display with other Saturn Vs offered as kits over the past 50 years...

Estes kits.jpg

Very nice!

Here is mine for this weekend.
20190718_061512-jpg.388838

A few things I noted during my build/finishing.

1) I should have been more diligent on filling spirals. Probably have to go as far as priming and refilling before the wraps.
2) The interstage wrap fix needed to be indexed one more stringer to the right. The roll pattern should hit the apex of the tunnel and the ullage motor should be on completely white background.
3) The silver ends of the fairings look like they should start where the fin taper starts. It is complicated by the non-scale fins so I'm giving myself a pass on this one.
4) I could have been more diligent on making the four cuts come to exactly the same height/point on the fins.

Homer

Attachments

• 20190718_061512.jpg
    20190718_061512.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Very nice!

Here is mine for this weekend.
20190718_061512-jpg.388838

A few things I noted during my build/finishing.

1) I should have been more diligent on filling spirals. Probably have to go as far as priming and refilling before the wraps.
2) The interstage wrap fix needed to be indexed one more stringer to the right. The roll pattern should hit the apex of the tunnel and the ullage motor should be on completely white background.
3) The silver ends of the fairings look like they should start where the fin taper starts. It is complicated by the non-scale fins so I'm giving myself a pass on this one.
4) I could have been more diligent on making the four cuts come to exactly the same height/point on the fins.

Homer
Flight Report
Pretty day at Bong and a decent boost on an E12-4 as the first two pictures show. The third shows that it was way underpowered. It nosed over after apogee and didn't have enough altitude (141' at apogee) for the lower section parachutes to deploy at all. I watched in horror as it lawn darted. The top 8" or so are a bit crumpled. Good news? the upper section landed perfectly with the launch tower intact and no damage to the fairings!
dsc_3344s-jpg.389089

dsc_3345s-jpg.389090

20190722_061521-jpg.389091

Homer

Attachments

• DSC_3344s.jpg
    DSC_3344s.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC_3345s.jpg
    DSC_3345s.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 230
  • 20190722_061521.jpg