Dedicated Photography Discussion Thread- Cameras,Lens,Techniques. Post your photography pics too.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20711805005_bc2bff4e49_b.jpg

Milky Way Galaxie

People sometimes ask me why I carry around a "large" camera (which isn't really all that big) when they just have their phone camera. I usually take on a smug attitude (just for the comedy) and say "A phone takes snapshots. I take photographs." 😂 But you're right. Phones can do some really cool things, in the right circumstances. But I don't have a smartphone, so I'm stuck with my camera bag.
Snapshots are taken, photographs are made. The difference is in the consideration of how the equipment will record the image and how you frame and compose the image on the device and time the shot. You can make decent photographs with both dedicated or phone cameras.

I really like light painting and star trail shots. At some point I need to give them a try.
There's a lot of ways to skin the light painting cat. The three images of the cars were single exposures done in camera, while the combine was a separate exposure for the sky and then the light painted foreground. The key is being away from any ambient light.

There is a website called pistonheads.com and they have a photography section, even though it's a car forum, but it is fantastic ,as they have dedicated wildlife, macro, and what you can do with cell phones threads. I think I've saved over 500 photos in that forum.

People sometimes ask me why I carry around a "large" camera (which isn't really all that big) when they just have their phone camera.
I was hiking in Utah a little over a year ago, carrying my DSLR. I walked by a woman and child, maybe a 5 year old girl, and she asked her mother what it was that I was carrying. Apparently she had never seen a real camera in person.

A lot of people get by with phone cameras because they are only looking at photos on their small phone screen. I was in a cellphone store years ago, before the era of the iphone, and I was playing with the cameras in their phones on display. I would take a photo of the salesman at his desk and look at it, I couldn't tell that it was really a human sitting at the desk vs. another creature. I had the idea that I could be in a store, take a photo of something and send it to my wife to verify it was the right thing to buy. Well phone cameras have improved a lot but I've only done that little store trick a couple of times over the years.

I use an iphone 6 camera when I have to, and it makes acceptable snapshots. If I know I'm going to be taking photos I'll bring a real camera. I have a lot of complaints about using cellphone cameras. My daughter has a much newer Google Pixle phone and I've noticed that it does a lot of internal processing of the photo that I can't equal using PSE or Affinity.

I had a real small Canon pocket camera, maybe 7MP. I did a comparison test and my iphone 6 beat it so I stopped using the little camera.

Well phone cameras have improved a lot but I've only done that little store trick a couple of times over the years.
I just purchased a new phone for my wife last week. A mid-range Samsung model, and it has a 30Mpixel camera. From my calculations, years ago, 30mpixels was about equivalent to film.

The latest Samsung Galaxy S24 has a 50Mpixel camera. So many more features become possible with that.

My Galaxy S9 has a 12Mpixel camera, and that is a 2018 model.

From my calculations, years ago, 30mpixels was about equivalent to film.
A lot of people on the internet say 8 is the number.

Many years ago I bought my wife a Panasonic 5MP EVF camera and I thought it was getting close to 35mm film, enough that I bought a 6MP Nikon D70 that I thought was about equal to 35mm film.

My iphone 6 is 8mp. It will make a reasonable 4x6 print but I don't think it is quite equal to the D70. I haven't studied recent phone cams but I'm not sure their lenses are up to making full use of a high MP sensor. A lot of real camera lenses didn't even do too well when higher MP sensors came out but nevertheless I think current iphones and pixles are better than 35mm film.

I checked some files I had- my daughter's Pixel (Pixel or Pixle, I don't know how it's spelled) is 12MP and my cousin's Samsung is also 12MP.

Years ago I bought my wife a Canon eos 30 which is a film camera and it hasn't been used but maybe to take a hundred to 200 pictures. If we can ever afford it in the future, I've been looking into stepping up to one of the digital Canon bodies like the EOS 7D which overall at the piston head forumm that is the main camera that a lot of those guys used for all of their landscape, wildlife, portraits, and macro photography. I've been seeing them used for around $200.

As I recall, Kodachrome resolution was considered to yield the equivalent of 25MP across the full 35mm frame.
Please don't confuse that with 25MP cell phone imagers.

Yes, we are not looking at a full 35mm focal plane imager in phones, but like for like 25MP across the frame is still 25MP across the frame. Optics will degrade the phone image a little, as will photometric noise in the small pixels. But it still has the same "resolution", to a first-degree approximation.

I shot a lot of K64 back in the day, I also shot a lot of bulk roll Tri-X. I've digitized my old slides using a Nikon D7200 and 105mm Nikon macro lens. The resulting images don't have a lot of detail. Here is a slide from Utah taken in 1992. It was a full 24MP before I cropped a little bit.

View attachment DSC_2593br.jpg

If you're digitizing your slides with a DSLR, you will be limited to the resolution of that camera's sensor and the aberrations of whatever lens one may be using. I've scanned my medium and large format transparencies with an Epson flatbed scanner and the resulting scans definitely have more resolution than the 24mp files from my DSLR. Scans of 35mm slides seem comparable to the DSLR. Some day I'll have to set up a direct comparison between my medium format (6x7) film images compared to my 102mp medium format digital.

I haven't done much photography lately. Work, life, etc gets most of my time. I have some work on a website Wild Light Imaging. Most of what scrolls by there is digital.

At one time I showed and sold. More showed than sold :D That turned my hobby into work so I bailed on it. I shoot 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, 120 (Hassleblad), and 35mm (EOS1N) film as well as digital (but not much lately). I have a 1Dx MKII, a 1DsMKIII, and my original 1DMKII converted to "Supercolor IR" (first a bunch of lenses 21mm Zeiss up to 600 f4 for the DSLR. I'm not at home so I can't list the film camera lenses

I develop my black and white film and I haven't delved into developing color yet.

Birds. I don't know how many hundreds (or more) bird images I have.

A bunch more than a few. I've been photographing them for a long time. The site host archived most of the images :/

p1843292366-4.jpg

p1634517751-4.jpg

p1708318792-4.jpg

Or so called "Anasazi Ruins"

3 Turkey House in Canyon de Chelly (sort of)

p564217327-4.jpg

Me and Ansel shot White House ruin. Not at the same time. His is better.

p562004064-4.jpg

Mesa Verde Cliff Palace

p1865062606-4.jpg

Holly Group in the Hovenweep complex

p3851432931-4.jpg

Nogales Ruin not too far from Cuba, NM

p3591629564-5.jpg

Spent a few weeks in Death Valley once

Thunderbird Petroglyph

p1946436118-4.jpg

Eureka Dunes at Sunrise

p1890810758-4.jpg

Tracks in the dunes

p1977599729-4.jpg

Coyote tracks

p1998387555-4.jpg

You have to do this one...

p2121212781-4.jpg

Geologists Cabin (first to arrive gets to stay there)

p165539691-4.jpg

Lighthouses are a thing but those images have been archived on my site (which is why I am going to move my stuff off of it one day)

Cattail Falls in Big Bend.

p740749180-5.jpg

I like to shoot at night with the DSLR's

Big Bend (yes the Milky Way has been brightened a little).

p690034703-6.jpg

Terlingua

p1726203684-4.jpg

Home

Titled- Trees Sleep Standing Up

p571136787-4.jpg

Sometimes I point the 600 up (with a filter if it's pointed at the sun) (2023)

p2131574645-6.jpg

or planets

p1007311868-4.jpg

p582431857-4.jpg

Or the moon and a planet

p537482493-4.jpg

Or just the moon when it's not all that big (skinny moon)

p1492534115-5.jpg

Or the :? "super" moon. What a crock of nonsense... but I digress.

p955277884-5.jpg

Some work from the 4x5

Barracks at Old Ft Laramie

p159495340-4.jpg

p363641336-4.jpg

Can't see this anymore... someone bought the property on both sides of the road and "trimmed" the tree into uglyville

p457307195-4.jpg

Cattail Falls from the 4x5

p99009823-6.jpg

Random acts of 35mm shooting

p2952875041-6.jpg

Friend of mine contemplating his next masterpiece.

p2953467843-4.jpg

p2952853412-4.jpg

Hasselblad and Velvia 50 in Big Bend (Chisos mountains in the background)

p3378929928-4.jpg

p3378931214-5.jpg

p3378930579-5.jpg

I have a 1Dx MKII, a 1DsMKIII, and my original 1DMKII converted to "Supercolor IR" (first a bunch of lenses 21mm Zeiss up to 600 f4 for the DSLR
there are several 1DX Canon cameras on Marketplace for about $200 but I went to a sight that does camera comparisons and i noticed that the 1 DX does not have a pop-up flash like the 7D model has. i've noticed that so many pictures have people's faces that need fill in flash.
So I thought that having a flash to brighten up their face was an important feature in a camera.

Last edited:
If you have a DSLR and it will give you the option of taking images in different formats
us the RAW file format . The files may be larger than normal but you can do a lot more
with RAW format files

Some film images...

49783254821_299f33dbbf_h.jpg

White House Ruins

6881555236_0949ec03aa_h.jpg

South Window Sunrise, Arches N.P.

6959820855_ebba678a13_h.jpg

Calf Creek Falls, UT

6865817755_df666a89d4_h.jpg

Canyonlands N.P.

6865815725_9983c557db_h.jpg

Mule Canyon Ruins

Shooting medium and large format film naturally trains a person to take a very contemplative approach to photography. First, I always had to decide whether a scene was worth setting up the 4x5 camera, and if I did, I would still decide whether or not the composition was worth taking the shot. Many times, I packed up the camera after I decided that the scene and/or lighting didn't stand out to me.

While digital provides the photographer with a lot of freedom, I still try to take the conservative "film" approach to composition and lighting.

15544950871_dbee032436_b.jpg

Sandstone Waterfall

48837357178_97f458db14_h.jpg

Mulafossur Waterfall

48837730746_833a49436a_h.jpg

Kilchurn Castle

48837909757_e3aea9bf55_h.jpg

Fairy Glen, Isle of Sky

32308885574_af8a0d7d88_h.jpg

Gray Day

27688270601_6a9de0e769_b.jpg

Courthouse Wash, Arches N.P.

Gorgeous photography Matt.

The image labeled Mule Canyon is called House on Fire Ruin (obviously it's in Mule Canyon). Canyonland Ruins... I know that ruin but for the life of me I can't remember what it's name is. White House ruin... you must've been there a long time ago. When I was there (2014) they had already put up a chain link fence to keep people away from the base of the ruin. I was fortunate to have spent a few days in the canyon with a former student of the professor (of photography at the University of Northern Arizona) that I was traveling with and her husband (park archeologist). They took us on a 3 day tour of Canyon de Chelly. WHen I showed her husband the Three Turkey House shot he paused and asked how I knew about that. I just pointed at the professor. His wife was born and raised in the Canyon. I've stayed in touch with her and her husband over the years but I haven't seen them since.

Mummy Cave, at the end of Canyon del Muerto, but only because that's as far as we were allowed to go, was a rough ride in but worth it.

p197889714-4.jpg

Antelope House was in the main canyon. The Professor hauled a large ladder into the main canyon in his pickup. He had it set up with a ballhead so we could climb up and shoot over the "obstructions".
p913703337-4.jpg

The Professor retired long ago and no longer roams the canyons. We roamed all over Cedar Mesa and it's canyons with him. Sometimes we had to recommend that we don't take a particular trail because "we" didn't think "we" could make it. Moonhouse ruin was one that I really, really wanted to see and had to pass on it. No regrets.

Last edited:
there are several 1DX Canon cameras on Marketplace for about $200 but I went to a sight that does camera comparisons and i noticed that the 1 DX does not have a pop-up flash like the 7D model has. i've noticed that so many pictures have people's faces that need fill in flash.
So I thought that having a flash to brighten up their face was an important feature in a camera.
If you can find a 1Dx for $200 I'd pass. Something is wrong with it. 1 series cameras are water sealed (not water tight), rugged, heavy, etc, etc. They are considered "pro" cameras and no pro would be caught dead with a popup flash. BUT if that's all they had they could make it work. When I say pro I'm talking about those rare folks that make a good living (6 figures) with a camera.

You can buy a Canon Speedlight flash and a softbox to tone it down for any camera that has a hot shoe. Fill flash is an art in and of itself. While trying to figure out my "place" in photography I went to a lot of studio photography classes. I've got softboxes, strobes, stands, etc. I never did warm up to photographing people (not counting my kids) but at one time I had lighting figured out.

Back