AirFest 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chris - Thanks for that update. Those folks had assured my that they had contacted everyone with a reservation. I'm not at all impressed with the Cobblestone Inn management. As an aside, I'll continue to recommend the Wellington Baymont/Travelodge - those folks know how to manage a hotel and have kept their prices more reasonable.

We'll miss you again. Hope you can make it up soon. I'd love for folks to see your products in person..

Do be fair to the Cobblestone folks, I have pretty aggressive spam filters, and typically dump calls from unknown numbers to the phone number they had on file. Therefore, it very well could be that I am the reason I did not get the message, but I figure there are others like me out there too, hence the PSA.

I look forward to a return to the Rocket Pasture too. Always fun to chat with people, and put faces to so many names. Flying rockets is pretty fun too.

Thinking of Trackers and GPS I updated Testflight today for my Featherweight GPS units. I also bought a fresh batch of CR2032's for the CSI trackers.

My first trip to Airfest back in 2013 I found that if I put in a tracker the rocket lands by the road and if you don't it lands in the middle of the Milo Field... YMMV

Or it lands on the powerline and shuts off the power to the entire launch area.....

1629858059892.png
Sharon's successful L3 flight, September 4th, 2015. Gizmo XL on an M1790.

You would mention that, Wayne. Of course, taking the power out meant that "Coop" could unscrew the quick link and have my Gizmo XL fall to the ground.

I missed early reg but am one ejection charge away from being all set to go. Will be flying for a level 3 cert on Saturday or Sunday.

Anyone familiar with the local crops think a good directional sighting and an audible alarm are enough to find a rocket, given the condition of the crops this year?

My GPS tracker is very unlikely to arrive in my hands in time, so I'm wondering the wisdom of flying the one rocket I'll have with me, a midpower motor-eject scratchbuild. I have a screaming door alarm I can put in it and might add a few short mylar streamers for the nose cone in the hopes of getting a better line on it on descent (the nose cone is heavy and on a shock cord of its own longer than the one to the body, so I don't think the streamers would foul the chute).

Anyone familiar with the local crops think a good directional sighting and an audible alarm are enough to find a rocket, given the condition of the crops this year?

My GPS tracker is very unlikely to arrive in my hands in time, so I'm wondering the wisdom of flying the one rocket I'll have with me, a midpower motor-eject scratchbuild. I have a screaming door alarm I can put in it and might add a few short mylar streamers for the nose cone in the hopes of getting a better line on it on descent (the nose cone is heavy and on a shock cord of its own longer than the one to the body, so I don't think the streamers would foul the chute).
Unless there is some goofy wind direction, mid-power rocket won't go into the milo. Pay attention to the conditions and where rockets are going. I'd say 90% of the time you'll be ok.

There will be limits to recovery for rockets that do go into the milo, so again, pay attention to conditions.

--Lance.

Unless there is some goofy wind direction, mid-power rocket won't go into the milo. Pay attention to the conditions and where rockets are going. I'd say 90% of the time you'll be ok.

There will be limits to recovery for rockets that do go into the milo, so again, pay attention to conditions.

--Lance.
are these hard limits as in "you can only go so far into the field" or "you only have x minutes to find your rocket"?

are these hard limits as in "you can only go so far into the field" or "you only have x minutes to find your rocket"?
As in, no wandering around in the milo around the pads looking for rockets while the range is open for launching rockets; it's not safe, particularly if you're not in clear view of the LCO. TRA Safety distances will be maintained during recovery.

The milo strip is about 1/2 mile wide. The pads are 500'-600' feet from the north edge of the milo. For the M and above pads, most rockets will drift out of that area and there will be no restriction.

As in, no wandering around in the milo around the pads looking for rockets while the range is open for launching rockets; it's not safe, particularly if you're not in clear view of the LCO. TRA Safety distances will be maintained during recovery.

The milo strip is about 1/2 mile wide. The pads are 500'-600' feet from the north edge of the milo. For the M and above pads, most rockets will drift out of that area and there will be no restriction.
This will be my first time attending any launch event beyond the monthly DARS.org launches. I checked the site and there's plenty of maps to the rocket pasture ( and one arial ) but is there a map of the event itself? like where the pads will be laid out, where to park etc or should i just stop being so OCD? I'll be flying an M for an L3 attempt and so it makes sense to be setup near the "M and above pads".

This will be my first time attending any launch event beyond the monthly DARS.org launches. I checked the site and there's plenty of maps to the rocket pasture ( and one arial ) but is there a map of the event itself? like where the pads will be laid out, where to park etc or should i just stop being so OCD? I'll be flying an M for an L3 attempt and so it makes sense to be setup near the "M and above pads".
It'll be fairly straightforward once you arrive, don't overthink it too much.

Last edited:
Heading out at 6am tomorrow morning from Aurora, IL. First timer for AirFest.

Hoping to get my L3 done. Not looking great for weather though.....I need 15k free and clear. :-(

To paraphrase Chief Brody in Jaws… You’re gonna need a bigger ‘chute.”

First day at Airfest got off to a wet start. It rained off and on all morning, then the high power waiver opened up at 1 pm. First rocket off the rail was my Queen Viper 3 on three H100 IMAX motors. Sharon was second off with her “Jimbo Jart” on a K360. We both landed in the milo about 1/2 mile Southeast. Not really a bad recovery, the CSI beacon walked us right to the rocket, but crossing row after row of waist high milo was less than pleasant.
I made one more launch with my 3” Blackstar on a research K759 Not your wimpy red, with an easier recovery to the North at the end of the pasture for visitor parking.
Right now we are watching a huge thunderstorm approaching from the Southwest. Tomorrow might be like today, but Sunday could be our good day of flying.

First day at Airfest got off to a wet start. It rained off and on all morning, then the high power waiver opened up at 1 pm. First rocket off the rail was my Queen Viper 3 on three H100 IMAX motors. Sharon was second off with her “Jimbo Jart” on a K360. We both landed in the milo about 1/2 mile Southeast. Not really a bad recovery, the CSI beacon walked us right to the rocket, but crossing row after row of waist high milo was less than pleasant.
I made one more launch with my 3” Blackstar on a research K759 Not your wimpy red, with an easier recovery to the North at the end of the pasture for visitor parking.
Right now we are watching a huge thunderstorm approaching from the Southwest. Tomorrow might be like today, but Sunday could be our good day of flying.

Worth the wait! Those were some spectacular flights!

This is probably a bad idea, posting up at 3 am, but I’ve been laying awake for two hours going back over what has to have been my most eventful day at a rocket launch I have ever had. And I didn’t even launch a rocket.
I wish I had the computer skills to link my video of Wildman and Jason mud skiing, but the file is 134 Mb and beyond my ability to load.
It rained Friday night, and most of Saturday morning, creating a muddy path for all the folks that showed up. Not to be deterred by this, Jason tied a folding table to Wildman’s quad, and Tim drug him back and forth across the rocket pasture.
Some of you that know Sharon and I would be shocked to hear that we spent a day at a launch and didn’t fly something. Instead we walked the vendor rows and shopped, which is also something we enjoy doing. I’m not gonna list all the goodies we picked up, but do want to relate some observations I made.
Teddy (onebadhawk) has a new rig. Although I regret that he has gone to the dark side and abandoned his GMC, his ram powered ice cream truck is AWESOME! I could go on to describe all the cool features of his custom made rig, but the one thing that really amazed me was the roll out rack he mounted his Honda 7000 generator on. Like opening a drawer in the kitchen, it slides out the side of his rig. We had no trouble finding stuff to buy from Teddy, including his last Loki M1378.
Second on my list is Chris’ Rocket supplies. His trailer is a marvel, it’s hard to imagine how he can get so much stuff in there and still be so easy to find what you want. Not to take anything away from the other wonderful vendors that show up here, but Chris has some mad organizational skills, that even show up on his web page. It has to be the easiest website to navigate that I have ever experienced.
Sharon and I pride ourselves in being good consumers, so we always try to buy something from any vendor that shows up at a launch we attend. This can be difficult at a launch like Airfest, with so many excellent vendors showing up on the Rocket Pasture. We pre-ordered from Wildman, and picked up our packages from him on Friday. But there is always some little thing, like a CSI button tracker, that we found in his trailer, that we just had to add. Tim has this cool little device that allows him to set the frequency to whatever number you want. Now that’s customer service.
Next up was Mile High rocketry, who is also a LOKI vendor. I was looking at a 54/2800 casing, but Sharon said we already had plenty of long 54’s, and chose a 54/1200 that fit in one of her short fat rockets.
Having AMW/Pro-X as an Arizona neighbor means we always have access to their enormous inventory in Glendale, AZ. We still found a couple of kits that we couldn’t live without when we stopped by yesterday. Gloria seemed a bit concerned that we would run out of cash before they opened the waiver, but we survived, despite my thinner wallet.
Sharon always seems to come up with a couple extra twenties when we need them.
The Kloudbusters did open the HPR waiver early in the afternoon, and gradually increased the altitude limits as the clouds cleared away.
After our shopping spree, we retired to the toy hauler to get ready for the Texas compound Shrimp boil. Those Texans really know how to throw a party! That will probably take me another two hours to type up, so I will close for now. When I get back to my real computer later this week, I promise to start another thread, “Wayco’s reflections on Airfest 27”.

What an amazing event! I had a great time and earning my Level 3 certification was icing on the cake. I've never seen N motors launch before and i got to see the N drag race on Sunday from the 60s pads while setting up for my launch. That was amazing.

Someone used a 100' streamer for drogue deployment, that was really cool to see and such a good idea. Very easy to spot up in the air.

Me and the family ended up stranded in Stillwater OK with car trouble for a couple days (no service departments open on Labor Day heh) but we eventually made it home to dallas.

Congrats on the L3, Chad. 👍 That motor just burned and burned! Sorry to hear about the car trouble. Guess I drove right past you on Monday afternoon without even knowing.

The 100' streamer was one of the most impressive sights of the weekend and was perfect for the milo fields. Though it came down easily in view of the flightline, had it not, the huge swaths of streamer sitting atop the crops would have made it easy to find (and to get a bearing on while descending too).

Congrats on the L3, Chad. 👍 That motor just burned and burned! Sorry to hear about the car trouble. Guess I drove right past you on Monday afternoon without even knowing.

The 100' streamer was one of the most impressive sights of the weekend and was perfect for the milo fields. Though it came down easily in view of the flightline, had it not, the huge swaths of streamer sitting atop the crops would have made it easy to find (and to get a bearing on while descending too).
Going to keep that streamer idea….

We spent the night in Guymon, Oklahoma,a really nice RV park called the “Corral”. Then left out early to get back to Red River, NM. After we packed up Monday, I flew one last rocket, and lost it in the milo. It was a 4” Wildman V2 with a 54/1600 NYWR research motor. I was somewhat bummed as we drove away, two altimeters, a CSI tracker that quit working when it hit the ground, and the 54mm casing, all lost.
When we pulled into the RV park, I checked my messages and Kim Carry left me a message that my rocket had been found.:awesome:
Bob Brown also called and told me it will be waiting for me when we return next year. I’m so glad that I put my name and number on that rocket.
Today I started cleaning up the toy hauler and several research motors. Most of the morning was spent setting up files for all the new jobs that Sharon got in while we were at the launch.
I still plan to start a new thread describing as much of the launch as I can remember, but it might take me a few days to get caught up.

This is probably a bad idea, posting up at 3 am, but I’ve been laying awake for two hours going back over what has to have been my most eventful day at a rocket launch I have ever had. And I didn’t even launch a rocket.
I wish I had the computer skills to link my video of Wildman and Jason mud skiing, but the file is 134 Mb and beyond my ability to load.
It rained Friday night, and most of Saturday morning, creating a muddy path for all the folks that showed up. Not to be deterred by this, Jason tied a folding table to Wildman’s quad, and Tim drug him back and forth across the rocket pasture.
Some of you that know Sharon and I would be shocked to hear that we spent a day at a launch and didn’t fly something. Instead we walked the vendor rows and shopped, which is also something we enjoy doing. I’m not gonna list all the goodies we picked up, but do want to relate some observations I made.
Teddy (onebadhawk) has a new rig. Although I regret that he has gone to the dark side and abandoned his GMC, his ram powered ice cream truck is AWESOME! I could go on to describe all the cool features of his custom made rig, but the one thing that really amazed me was the roll out rack he mounted his Honda 7000 generator on. Like opening a drawer in the kitchen, it slides out the side of his rig. We had no trouble finding stuff to buy from Teddy, including his last Loki M1378.
Second on my list is Chris’ Rocket supplies. His trailer is a marvel, it’s hard to imagine how he can get so much stuff in there and still be so easy to find what you want. Not to take anything away from the other wonderful vendors that show up here, but Chris has some mad organizational skills, that even show up on his web page. It has to be the easiest website to navigate that I have ever experienced.
Sharon and I pride ourselves in being good consumers, so we always try to buy something from any vendor that shows up at a launch we attend. This can be difficult at a launch like Airfest, with so many excellent vendors showing up on the Rocket Pasture. We pre-ordered from Wildman, and picked up our packages from him on Friday. But there is always some little thing, like a CSI button tracker, that we found in his trailer, that we just had to add. Tim has this cool little device that allows him to set the frequency to whatever number you want. Now that’s customer service.
Next up was Mile High rocketry, who is also a LOKI vendor. I was looking at a 54/2800 casing, but Sharon said we already had plenty of long 54’s, and chose a 54/1200 that fit in one of her short fat rockets.
Having AMW/Pro-X as an Arizona neighbor means we always have access to their enormous inventory in Glendale, AZ. We still found a couple of kits that we couldn’t live without when we stopped by yesterday. Gloria seemed a bit concerned that we would run out of cash before they opened the waiver, but we survived, despite my thinner wallet.
Sharon always seems to come up with a couple extra twenties when we need them.
The Kloudbusters did open the HPR waiver early in the afternoon, and gradually increased the altitude limits as the clouds cleared away.
After our shopping spree, we retired to the toy hauler to get ready for the Texas compound Shrimp boil. Those Texans really know how to throw a party! That will probably take me another two hours to type up, so I will close for now. When I get back to my real computer later this week, I promise to start another thread, “Wayco’s reflections on Airfest 27”.
Thanks for your help.

You’re welcome Wayne, wish we could have done more. That auger just wasn’t cooperating. I like your idea to use the fence poles. Just wondering how the tear down went. I know there is a tool for pulling poles out, which can make easy work of that job.

You’re welcome Wayne, wish we could have done more. That auger just wasn’t cooperating. I like your idea to use the fence poles. Just wondering how the tear down went. I know there is a tool for pulling poles out, which can make easy work of that job.

We used to use a big jack - a lot like the bumper jacks that used to be in the truncks of cars - to pull t-posts, It's a LOT easier to drive them in than pull them out!

We used to use a big jack - a lot like the bumper jacks that used to be in the truncks of cars - to pull t-posts, It's a LOT easier to drive them in than pull them out!
As far as as I know that's still the best method, just lug out the farm jack and go for it.

Back