• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: A CHEAP! Saturn 1B!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! Now just as a small bit of advice.

Fly it on an A8-3...ok maybe a B6-4. On a C6-5 she just zooms way too fast and you don't get to see much of a flight.

I am planning to use an A10-3T with an 18mm adapter for the first flight.

I've flown mine half-a-dozen times, on 1/2A6-2s, A8-3s, and B6-4s. No altitude info other than just my own wild guesses, I'd figure maybe 150' on the 1/2A, 2-300' on the A and 4-500 on the B. A C6-5, you'd be pushing 1000 feet pretty easy, I am sure.

One minor problem I've had is fin and launch lug adhesion to the printed wrap. They seem to peel off pretty easy, but then when you go to glue em back on, they adhere well. It is indeed important to rough up the surface of the wrap before gluing... but the fixes are easy, so it's no big deal.

It's a super easy build and a nice looking rocket. My nephew, 5, loves it... he calls it the "USA" and yells, "GO USA!" when we launch it.

Here's the Roachwerks Saturn IB on the pad, all set to go...

sat1bb.jpg

I have another batch ready for sale!:D

$13.50 each plus $2.50 shipping!

Get 'em while they are hot!

Mr Sandman,

Are there any of those kits left? I would like one please..

Sure!

I have about 10 left.

Paypal is up now!

$13.50 each plus $2.50 shipping.

I feel myself slipping over to the dark side.
Gonna have to ask for one.
If you will email me your mailing address again, I'll send a check.

And please stop tempting me.

I have a quick question about the micro set of three I got. When I went to assemble the motor mount, it seems as if the MMT is too long. If I follow the direction and put the motor block at the top of the tube, it looks like there will be around .5" too much room. I know I need to position the thrust ring properly (by using an expended casing), but I don't know what proper is for an MMX mount. So, how much should a MMX motor extend out of the motor mount? 1/8"? I'm scared of making them unstable if the motor is too far to the rear.

I guess I wasn't too clear on that.

I sometimes make my motor mout tubes longer...better than too short!

Make the motor stick out just far enough that you can get a hold of it to remove it.

Less than 1/8".

I use needle nose pliers to remove my spent motors.

Somebody at a launch had a pair of tweesers that I borrowed. They has a tiny pin point sticking out on each face of the jaws...perfect for the MM II motors!

Finally got payment into the mail yesterday. It should have been sent last week but I put it aside and it got lost. (If you saw my briefcase you'd understand)

Anyway, I hope I got the total correct----- $16 including shipping, like the post above? If not let me know and I'll send a bit more.

Did you email me about it?

If you did I already sent it out.

See...I don't know who "powderburner" is...nobody sends me their screen name!:(

I get so confused!:confused:

No more Saturn 1B's left!

Dey be all gone for now.

I have some orders on the way and I have kits for those...but no more for now.

I may make more later if the demand is there bit you guys are killing me on these Sprints...

You'd think they were something special.:rolleyes:

But thanks, guys, so far you've sucked up 48 Saturn 1B kits from me.

Originally posted by sandman
No more Saturn 1B's left!

Dey be all gone for now.

I have some orders on the way and I have kits for those...but no more for now.

I may make more later if the demand is there bit you guys are killing me on these Sprints...

You'd think they were something special.:rolleyes:

But thanks, guys, so far you've sucked up 48 Saturn 1B kits from me.

Didn't somebody mention a Soyuz earlier in this thread?

I have a 13mm one made from cardstock that flies great.

I wouldn't mind a larger one made from "real" parts. (hint, hint)

Let me take a break for a while.

I make all of my balsa parts so when I do a kit there is a LOT of work involved.

Let me think about a few designs I have in my head.

NO I'm not gonna tell you guys!:mad:

You guys do tend to "nag".

Hey Sandman! A question:In the pic that you posted of us at NARAM is the saturn you're holding yours or Klydes?

That was mine.

Now why would I be displaying someone elses Saturn???:D

Originally posted by sandman
Let me take a break for a while.

I make all of my balsa parts so when I do a kit there is a LOT of work involved.

Let me think about a few designs I have in my head.

NO I'm not gonna tell you guys!:mad:

You guys do tend to "nag".

TRF memebers nag you about your new designs?

SHOCKING!!!

PLEASETELLUSWHATTHEYARE!,PLEASETELLUSWHATTHEYARE!,PLEASETELLUSWHATTHEYARE!,PLEASETELLUSWHATTHEYARE!,PLEASETELLUSWHATTHEYARE!,PLEASETELLUSWHATTHEYARE!...

"Don't make me turn this car around"

:D

Nag????? Not ME!!!!!! Are we there, are we there yet? Thanks for all you do Sandman! ......loojack

I finally had a chance to launch my Saturn 1B today. I had to add quite a bit of clay to mine to get the CG at the correct location. Thus, it seemed too heavy for an A8-3. I launched it on a B6-4 which was just right--nice straight boost and ejection at apogee. However, the "rocket gods" weren't smiling today. The motor had an extra strong ejection charge and the nose section separated. The main body recovered unharmed via the parachute, but the nose section came plummeting in. (And, of course, it had to come down in the asphalt parking lot.) The BT-50 tube was pushed out of the nose section, the escape tower was broken, and part of the command module is smashed in. I do think it can be repaired, though. (And if it can't be fixed, I have another kit I can build.)

grog,

Sorry to hear about the mishap.

Let me know if you need any replacement parts to rebuild the nose section.

A new nose cone is no problem and the transitions and upper wraps are all printed.
I think I may have included an extra service module wrap 'cause there was room on the sheet when I had them printed up.

Oh yea, I will need your address...I'm not that "organized".

sc ott,

Sorry, they are all gone!

Maybe more next year...after Jan.

DOE!
Are you sure you couldn't put just one more kit together for a guy for the holidays????? Would groveling help? It's a beauty and I'm new to the forum. I'd pay a little extra for one of those babies.
--Scott

BTW I'm a BAR and thats one of those kits I couldn't afford as a kid. They're going for over a hundred on eBay. Way past my range. Are these like the "Ant Scale" version? Your's looked so much cooler from the photos so this is another plea. : )
--Scott

Actually they are the same size!

But all the detail is "printed" on...no tank tubes to roll. And very little painting.

Actually the painting required is some "touch-up" on the edges with a Sharpie pen and the escape motor with some White-out.

Here is a review.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/roach_saturn1b.html#MV

There were two different ones...the top one in the review is the one I just released...and ran out of!

I don't have ANYTHING left for the second one on the review.

Will you keep me posted on your kits in the future. They looks so cool and I would LOVE to have a Saturn 1b someday.
BTW Thanks for all your help on my projects! You're a great guy.
--Scott
P.S. Feeling psychic here....I see a kit fallen behind the work bench..... : )

Back