• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: A CHEAP! Saturn 1B!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made another 12 kits last night so everybody that ordered can get one.

The Micro Maxx kitsm are progressing but they aren't quite ready yet...almost but not quite.

:D

Let us know when you've got both the Saturns and the MMX kits ready. I'll have the money ready. :)

Jason

I have 12 more kits completed...I was busy this rainy weekend! So NO WAITING!

I also have enough parts to make another 24 if needed.

The MicroMaxx kits are waiting for some parts yet and I should have them by the end of the week.

Im down for the BT-60 version & a set of the MMX ones please :)
Cheers
Karl

Karl,

When I go to the post office tomorrow I will check on UK shipping for you and the other UK members.

Ok , thank you! Im prepared to pay more or less anything , these kits look awesome! I could also post a review ect on EMRR , and a article to 10..9.8 ( UKRA's newsletter ) ?
Karl

I checked at my local post office today and 3 or 4 Saturn 1B kits in one box would be $10 U.S. for Airmail (6 to 8 days).

Mine's done! Great kit!, well worth the money! You have to do more than shake the bag and have the parts fall together, but it's not hard to build. If you have built kits with paper shrouds before, it's pretty easy. Thanks sandman!
The hi tech stand is extra!

Cool!

Now tell us, where there any "Gotcha's" in the kits that I missed?

I really wanna know.

I have a whole stack of those "rocket stands" and like a fool I've been drinking out of them.

Loojack,

Wow! It looks just like mine! :D

Ain't this a great little rocket?

Gus, It is a great little rocket! Sandman, No "gotchas" Does your rocket stand have Piglett on it? Thanks again...loojack

I've been a little delinquent in checking TRF threads since school started. Sandman, that's another fine piece of work you have there!

Got any kits left? :D

I finished another 12 kits...ready to ship Tuesday morning...when the post office opens.

I recieved my kits the other day and all I can say is...

Wow!!....Cool....Drool...

I started one yesterday and so far everything is as it should be. I do have one tip for some of less than awesome builders(more common sense really)...

Before you glue the coupler assembly in place (service module) test fit it into the BT60. If it needs sanding, it will make life easier and you won't damage the shroud.

Hey Sandman, I know the Sat 1B is your fav but have you thought about a Sat V (like you have time right?)?

Triple Kudos here, these are really neat kits!

I know the Sat 1B is your fav but have you thought about a Sat V

The small fins kinda put me off on the Saturn V. I would either have to make them a bunch bigger or add a lot of nose weight.

But yes I've though about it.

Actually...to let the cat out of the bag:D ...I'm sorta planning a Soyuz kit...

I like the Soyuz better than the Vostok because of the escape tower on the capsule.

A SOYUZ kit???!!!! Can I send my money now?? Just kidding...Keep us informed! Thanks, loojack

Originally posted by sandman
The small fins kinda put me off on the Saturn V. I would either have to make them a bunch bigger or add a lot of nose weight.

But yes I've though about it.

Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
The cutest Saturn that I've ever seen
Give us paper that will never fail
In the same manner as the semi-scale.
Sandman, I'm not alone
Do not force us to make our own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.

Seriously, how about a set of printed corrugations to wrap around the Alway Saturn V similar to those Estes used in their semi-scale kit?

Originally posted by Bill
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream
The cutest Saturn that I've ever seen
Give us paper that will never fail
In the same manner as the semi-scale.
Sandman, I'm not alone
Do not force us to make our own
Please turn on your magic beam
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream.

When's the CD come out...I'll take one:D

Depending on the weather tomorrow, I may have this finished. Had to run out and get some Rubber cement. Can't believe I didn't have any in the house. I also stopped and bought a pair of cuticle scissors which come in real handy.

The only mods I did was to pierce the forward MMT CR and wrapped a small piece of .030 kevlar which I'll attach to the shock cord.

The other item was on the service module. I glued in a CR2050 before I glued in the bulkhead. Both items were just me biffing the system as it were. The kit is perfect all on it's own.

Now where did I put that white paint pen?

Oh yea. I had a nice piece of aileron stock that worked perfect for the fins!!:D

What do think? I have some nice 12 inch RS Nylon chutes...too much?

I forgot to mention it in the plans...or did I?

For the white touch up on my model I used "wite out".

You don't need much white.

The edges of some of the fins and the escape tower is all.

12" chute? I used a 12" chute and she kinda "floats" down...maybe an 8".

It's really light.

Had to run out and get some Rubber cement.

Silverado,

I told Sandman about this tip and I thought it might help others.

I messed up so many wraps as a kid with rubber cement that I still get jitters just walking by the stuff in the store.

For the wraps on this model I used a product my wife showed me from the scrapbooking world. It's a glue stick that looks like a giant felt tip highlighter pen that puts out a very thin clear glue. It's made to hold paper to paper permanently and it's meant to last "forever" without cracking or yellowing, so it seemed perfect for this application. I think Sandman found a similar product from Elmers.

Before applying any glue, I put the dry wrap around the tube and precisely lined up the edges, just holding it in place with my left hand. Once it was lined up I just released my thumb enough to let up one of the vertical edges where the two sides meet, ran the glue stick along it, then pressed it back down and rubbed it until it was firmly attached. Now that one edge was secure I let the rest of the wrap loose, glue-penned it, and wrapped it back down. Perfect edge where the two edges meet. And since the glue only goes on the wrap, not the tube, and it goes on so thin, there's no worry about over-gluing, or squeezing glue out from under the wrap as you press it down.

Worked perfectly and was way easier than using rubber cement. :D

I've done a lot of rocket tubes with full-size label paper but this method was so much better that I'm planning to abandon the labels and just use regular paper with the glue-pen.

Now I'm wondering if it will work for plastic corrugated wraps!

Hope this helps.

Gus

Hey Sand-Meister,

Seeing as you just turned a couple Vostok cones for me a week or so ago, it's obviously not an impossible task. ;)

What scale are you thinking of for the Vostok? The Peter Alway-design Simplified Vostok (based on BT-50 for the main body tube) is 1/100. I dunno about the proportions, but I suppose you could do one based on BT-60 (like Gus's Bertha-Vostok ;) ;) that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/70 (maybe??)

One idea I had regarding the Alway-design Vostok is, since of course it's based on the basic Soviet R-7 booster (along with Voskhod and Soyuz, as well as, for that matter, the original Sputnik) it would really be fairly easy to have interchangeable payload/spacecraft nose sections, to make the same kit adaptable for all four vehicles.

You'd just have to turn a different cone for the Soyuz (with tower, etc.) vs. the Vostok (where if you really want to go for realism, you've got the funky cutaway shroud).

The Sputnik might be a bit tougher - that's such a short and stubby nose you'd have to make it out of solid cement or cast iron or something to keep the nose heavy enough to keep it stable. :eek:

It'll be fun to see....
:cool:

Stability without "add-on" fins is my objective in the design. Thus the reasoning for a Soyuz.

That and the fact that the Soyuz has so much more details than the other three.

Back