A Linguist's Thoughts On The Cherokee-D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The English and the Americans are two great peoples separated by a common language.

While living in Germany and attending German schools (and learning to speak German) I was taught to speak the Queen’s English as a second (third) language as well as French.

No joke.

Random factoids: The letter “J” in German is pronounced ”Yawt“, the “V” is pronounced “Fow”, and “W” is “Vay” all of which makes a VW called a ”Fow Vay”.

Another point I'd like to make on this subject... I don't see people renaming this rocket when they don't build it for "V" motors...

1636927880600.png

Another point I'd like to make on this subject... I don't see people renaming this rocket when they don't build it for "V" motors...
View attachment 490120
Gee, I thought it was a fifth design iteration, albeit Saturns II, III, and IV never having gotten off the drawing board to the best of my knowledge.

I get what you mean about the "rhymes with dee" aspect, but then I remind myself that there's no real reason it should. The "D" does rhyme with "Cherokee", but that's a deemphasized rhyme since it's the first syllable of Cherokee that gets the accent, and that rhyme does not seem to have ever been a part of the reason for the name.

I do agree, though, that naming an upscale for a particular impulse letter when one can undoubtedly fly on others is odd, but then even in the old days one could have flown a Cherokee D on a C engine with a simple adapter.

The motor mount diameter makes sense as a name alternative, and the original could just as well have been Cherokee 24, but of course it wasn't.

So pretending that the D indicated something else all along like the mission type or some such is a viable solution if the rhyming thing or the range of motor options thing is important to you.

One could also use other ways of indicating the size. "Cherokee Chief"? "Cherokee XL"? Maybe not "Grand Cherokee".

One of my all time favorite birds.

Have Cherokee DD multi-stage somewhere in my stored LPR stuff. Built it from plans downloaded from YORF and parts from Semroc and an Estes kit of similar size. Decals from the fellow who ran the mailorder before Sandman, IIRC.

Dang. Gonna have to dig it out...
Those would be Phred decals. :cool:

With the recent scrubbing of Indian names from sports teams and such, perhaps we should rename it as Chickadee D. That's not good either, but thjis may be a job for a linguist.

Back