Bryce's Handicap Record Quest: NSL 2024

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No categories for smaller than G? Is that left to the NAR?
The Tripoli Records categories have some strange and unique cut offs. As you mentioned the Handicap records end at G, but for the Single-Stage Records, they end at F, for the Hybrids it ends at H, and the EX categories go down to 24mm motors. There are a ton of complicated and probably historical reasons that those are the case, but in general, (and at least historically) Tripoli keeps the high power records, and NAR keeps the low power records.

I could see this derailing the thread, so if someone wants to discuss this further, start a separate thread and tag me in it, or send me a PM and I can provide more details or context.

I am generally a fan of the Top Flight Thin Mill chutes for their packing volume and cost efficiency. But I’ve not picked what I need yet.

For the larger sizes, you might look at Fruit Chutes Iris Ultras. You can get a higher Cd from a smaller chute, and they pack really small, if you know how to do it. I’ll be teaching some college students how to pack them tomorrow.

You might ask Top Flight or Front Range if they’d make you some chutes from ZP nylon in the smaller sizes. It’s a little harder to pack because it’s really slick - same stuff your Rocket Rage chutes are, if I remember correctly. But it will let you use a slightly smaller chute, which means less weight.

My daughter and I have set quite a few NAR altitude records and just last month we set two FAI World Altitude records. Your plan of flying at NSL West is perfect. Field is gigantic, group running that launch is really welcoming, and at ~7000 feet an absolutely fantastic site for altitude attempts.

Really fun to see you trying this and your approach is sound. Wishing you the best of luck on all the designs and flights. If you think my low power insights (yes, I hold the 1/8A altimeter altitude record, LOL) can be of any help don't hesitate to reach out.

Final thought. Although I've never attempted any of them I absolutely love the way Tripoli does altitude records. Really well thought out categories, love the motor-specific records, and the online record site is really fun to read through. As someone who spends quite a bit of time trying to improve organized rocketry, thank you for volunteering your time to be on the Tripoli Records Committee.
Thank you Steve for chiming in and congratulations to you and your daughter for setting NAR and FAI records! (If I thought the TRA single stage records were tough, the NAR and FAI competitions just blow my mind. I’ve always wanted to try my hand at the RC Boost Glide since combining hobbies sounds fun)

Please feel free to comment any thoughts, papers, research, or ideas you have about flying these kinds of “high” performance rockets.

Oh, and thank you for the kind words regarding the Records Committee, I know Mark and others on the Committee have worked really hard to continuously improve the clarity and accessibility of the records information and process.

Does it have to land fins down?
It doesn’t have to, and you might be hinting toward the fact that some NAR record rockets will attach their chute to the body tube center of mass to encourage the rocket to come down horizontally versus vertically. This has the benefit of using the body as some of the drag producing element on descent, and also may protect the aft end on landing.

I’m not sure I plan to use this technique for these flights, but we shall see.

One possible approach is to brush on a very thin bit of epoxy onto the tube, then let it set to the green stage. Put your sock over that, and apply enough epoxy to wet out the cloth.

We used an approach along those lines when we built the Delta and Redstone, to help reduce the amount of epoxy that soaked into the tubes.

-Kevin
The tube I was laying up for the H and I record rockets was so impossibly thin, I doubt it could have soaked up very much epoxy at all. When I layup big sonotube tube rockets, I do make sure to pre-wet out the tube to prevent too much soaking.

The challenge with these dang sleeves is that they act like Chinese finger traps when ever they hit a snag or sticky spot. It the tube sections are short, not a problem, but with larger and long tubes, it is a really tough challenge to get the sleeve on an epoxy soaked tube.

On the Al mandrel I wax it, layer of thin plastic (like a dry cleaners bag) then braid. Vacuum bagged. Mother dog to get off.

Wound cones.
Nose was PVC foam on a 1.5” diameter aluminum bar to hold rigid in lathe.
Do not remove from lathe until finished.
In lathe foam shaped, holes filled with drywall spackle then covered with plastic.
To wind I used a tray of resin on carriage to wet tow. Guided and held tension with fingers. Tow came off roll, under metal bar to keep immersed in epoxy. Epoxy squeezed into tow and excess removed with fingers.
End of tow tied to pin stuck in foam. Lathe at slowest RPM. First wraps are straight around laying tow right next to previous. Then unidirectional going longitudinal, wrap, eventually did angled wraps. Practice on something expendable.
Tip was two layers of cloth with edge under wrap. Vacuum bag.
Cure, sand, fill, sand………..turn shank to diameter. Remove foam.
Tail cone is way easier.
Same 1.5” bar, thin motor mount tube, (leave long both ends), foam repeat above.
In tail foam was left in. Slots for fins cut with Dremel tool attached to tool post.

Really primitive. But can be made to work.
I will do again.

I guess I’m not ever “sure” that I’ve wetted out completely, but getting the sleeve onto a pre-epoxied pour out cardboard mandrel sounded really awful. I use a pretty hands-on laminating technique (with gloves of course) so I’m pretty happy with how much epoxy I am able to massage into the tube after the initial wet out. The fact that the shrink tube also squeezes out a bunch of extra epoxy also makes me think that things aren’t really too dry under there.
If it's got a smooth inner surface and a smooth outer surface, then it's almost certainly solid all the way through. On my last sleeve layup, I had some patches where the inner surface was wetted out but not smooth. I didn't use heat shrink or any other consolidation besides rollers.

And now for something completely different...
"Thin mil" is a term that seems to occur in rocketry, but doesn't really mean a lot, and it's not just fabric weight that matters. I can have a parachute made of 1.1oz regular nylon or I can have one made of 1.1oz ZP (zero porosity) nylon. The ZP chute can be smaller, because less air goes through the fabric, resulting in higher drag.

When you're going for altitude records, little things start to matter, and every bit of weight you can shave off makes a difference.

-Kevin
OK, here's some data. I make my own chutes, mainly out of (I believe) 1.6 oz silicone-coated ripstop. It's light, packs well, and is nearly zero porosity. I typically make semi-elliptical shapes, with the nominal canopy height one quarter of the diameter, and with a small-ish spill hole. My 36" chute with light shroud lines is 60 grams. That's my usual go-to for 2.5-5 lb rockets. The 30" chute with slightly heavier shroud lines is 45 grams. I could probably shave off 5-10 grams from that with lighter shroud lines. The 30" one would be fine for a 3-lb liftoff weight rocket at sea level, especially if the landing surface was fairly soft. Not sure how it would do at altitude.

OK, here's some data. I make my own chutes, mainly out of (I believe) 1.6 oz silicone-coated ripstop. It's light, packs well, and is nearly zero porosity. I typically make semi-elliptical shapes, with the nominal canopy height one quarter of the diameter, and with a small-ish spill hole. My 36" chute with light shroud lines is 60 grams. That's my usual go-to for 2.5-5 lb rockets. The 30" chute with slightly heavier shroud lines is 45 grams. I could probably shave off 5-10 grams from that with lighter shroud lines. The 30" one would be fine for a 3-lb liftoff weight rocket at sea level, especially if the landing surface was fairly soft. Not sure how it would do at altitude.

Silicone-coated nylon and ZP nylon aren't the same - the former is (in my experience) made from heavier fabric, plus it has the added weight of the coating. ZP nylon is made (if I remember correctly) by running the nylon through hot rollers. It results in nylon that allows a lot less air through, making a comparable chute of the same size/weight fabric have a higher Cd, with no weight penalty from a coating.

-Kevin

Silicone-coated nylon and ZP nylon aren't the same - the former is (in my experience) made from heavier fabric, plus it has the added weight of the coating. ZP nylon is made (if I remember correctly) by running the nylon through hot rollers. It results in nylon that allows a lot less air through, making a comparable chute of the same size/weight fabric have a higher Cd, with no weight penalty from a coating.

-Kevin
Not to turn this into a glue thread... This is the stuff I use, actually 1.3 oz silicone impregnated ripstop. I haven't weighed a yard of it to see what the exact weight is, so I don't know how much the silicone adds. It is definitely less porous than standard ripstop, but I don't know exactly how much porosity it has.

Anyway, data indicates a chute can be had for ~35-40 grams for the H record model, maybe even less if you went to an iris type. The altimeter assembly is on the order of 20-30 grams depending on the battery, so a reasonable light chute is about twice the altimeter.

Edit: That’s the weight for a deployment altimeter. Just a recording altimeter would be quite a bit lighter.

Last edited:
I guess I’m not ever “sure” that I’ve wetted out completely, but getting the sleeve onto a pre-epoxied pour out cardboard mandrel sounded really awful. I use a pretty hands-on laminating technique (with gloves of course) so I’m pretty happy with how much epoxy I am able to massage into the tube after the initial wet out. The fact that the shrink tube also squeezes out a bunch of extra epoxy also makes me think that things aren’t really too dry under there.
Makes sense. With mylar and a mandrel, I would be careful laying down epoxy before sliding the sleeve on as it can make getting the sleeve on cleanly fairly difficult IMO. Using a very low-viscosity resin or a sleeve diameter much larger than the tube should help if you choose to do that in the future.

Edit: I guess you kind of addressed that already but still worth noting

Last year at NSL west i made an attempt at the TRA K altitude record. I flew short of the record by close to 300ft roughly. I ended up at 31,374 ft agl. Might try the K and L record attempts this year if plans to go work out
If you still have the paperwork somewhere, you should submit it to the records committee. Curt's record was removed recently because of a lack of GPS data.

What motor did you use? I've considered attempting the K record, but the very poor reliability of the CTI K300 has discouraged any serious attempts on my part.

If you still have the paperwork somewhere, you should submit it to the records committee. Curt's record was removed recently because of a lack of GPS data.

What motor did you use? I've considered attempting the K record, but the very poor reliability of the CTI K300 has discouraged any serious attempts on my part.

Not really worried about it. At the time Curts record was what i needed to beat. It was what was listed. Besides. Gives me the chance to fly another great flight. I used a AT K250 with a rocket that was about 24oz everything but motor.

I used a AT K250 with a rocket that was about 24oz everything but motor.
Wow @Conway Stevens !

Once again, there must be some some first-class engineering in your design.

The best I can do in a q&d OR sim with COS parts and without 'cheating' is 1100 grams / 39 oz dry weight :)

Looking forward to another great flight report sometime after Memorial Day weekend !

-- kjh

Not really worried about it. At the time Curts record was what i needed to beat. It was what was listed. Besides. Gives me the chance to fly another great flight. I used a AT K250 with a rocket that was about 24oz everything but motor.
RMS or SU?

I feel like there's a big difference between the weird LMS version of the K250 and regular DMS motors. With a fiberglass motor case, it's super simple to bond the fins directly to the motor, allowing you to do a submin configuration with no added drag from a fin can.

So we’ve got a start on the H and I records, let’s start up the J and K records.

This starts with the body and a new process for me to learn: removable mandrels.

Recall that for the H and I, they used a thin wall paper tube and the carbon was laid up directly on top of that. Well, I’ve been reading about an even light way to do it…simply remove the cardboard tube after the carbon layup and have a pure carbon tube. Oh boy if it were just that easy.

IMG_0647.jpg
On the right is the mandrel for the J and K records.​

First, about the mold. We start with a cardboard tube about the right size. I was given two 5” cardboard tubes at LDRS in Wisconsin. (If you are the rocketeer that left a box of these tubes out for free. Or if you are the rocketeer that ran into the swarm and grabbed me two tubes because “you knew I would do something cool with them”, THANK YOU!)

These tubes were great for a lot of reasons, one thing that wasn’t perfect was the diameter. They are 5”, but they are 5” Inner Diameter. And since these are thick tubes (think carpet roll) the OD is a little bigger than I would like, but since the category was really made for 5.5” rockets, a 5.2” tube won’t be a big deal. Next time I would love to get closer to the 5" minimum

The tailcone mold was also 3D printed like it was for the H/I rockets. It wasn’t acetone vapor smoothed as it was going to be wrapped in release film and waxed.

In order to prep the tube a needed to wrap it in a layer of mylar release film. I don't know much about the material I have, but I've used it for vacuum bagged layups in the past.
IMG_0788.jpg
Started by taping mylar down to the tube with some kapton tape.​

IMG_0789.jpg
After wrapping the whole tube, it is sealed with a single piece of mylar all the way top to bottom.

IMG_0791.jpg
The tailcone gets a similar treatment with mylar and kapton tape.

IMG_0793.jpg
After that the mylar was coated in this great smelling paste wax. Did it do anything? Probably not, but I tried.

IMG_0794.jpg
The first layer was pretty easy to slide on and get aligned.

IMG_0795.jpg
Thankfully I had some help from a friend during this layup and after the first lay was wet out, A second layer of 8K 8" Carbon sleeve from Soller Composites was added. It was not trivial to slide a second layer over a wetted out layer.

IMG_0799.jpg
After the second layer was wetted out, things were looking really good.

IMG_0800.jpg
The heat shrink was added and...well...I still need to get better at this. Lots of little problems with wrinkles, epoxy blobs, tears, seams, etc. Still not convinced this is better than a layer of peel ply and a layer of epoxy to smooth it out.
Then I let it cure. A couple days later...​

2 layers of 8K seems pretty heavy. What's the weigh per foot compared with 5.38" heavy wall cardboard? I've flown the latter on an L1000 with no issues, so I would think it would be fine for J and K flights.

2 layers of 8K seems pretty heavy. What's the weigh per foot compared with 5.38" heavy wall cardboard? I've flown the latter on an L1000 with no issues, so I would think it would be fine for J and K flights.
Turns out, you are totally right. This tube is beefy. Almost 4 pounds. I was originally scared of doing 1 layer, but that is what I will do for the second tube. The most thrust this rocket is designed for is a K250 which has a peak thrust of less than a 100lbs. High performance that doesn’t automatically mean Mach 3+ is new to me. Gotta practice more “finesse”.

Live and learn.

The 8K sleeve was on sale, so I bought a bunch too…

Turns out, you are totally right. This tube is beefy. Almost 4 pounds. I was originally scared of doing 1 layer, but that is what I will do for the second tube. The most thrust this rocket is designed for is a K250 which has a peak thrust of less than a 100lbs. High performance that doesn’t automatically mean Mach 3+ is new to me. Gotta practice more “finesse”.

Live and learn.

The 8K sleeve was on sale, so I bought a bunch too…
On the plus side, you now have a really nice tube for whatever 98mm motor you want to use!

Back