3D Printing 3D printer plunge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Folks,

I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd join the discussion.

A little bit of my3D printing history.

My first attempt at purchasing a 3d printer was a failed kickstarter. It turns out that was probably a good outcome for me as I researched a bit and bought a Prusa i3 clone from a company called TronXY for $156. I think it was a good starter printer as it taught me a lot about 3D printers without costing a lot. I printed a few things for use around the house like laundry cup holders, shelves and that kind of stuff and fought the layer adhesion, warping and bed adhesion monsters while doing that.

At first, I would calibrate the printer and the cal would hold for quite a while. I was able to print all the parts for a string maker with it. Then I would notice different printings of the same part would be different sizes and have different surface finishes even though I was using the same filament and the same settings. Turns out a frame of threaded rod and acrylic are not the most reliable frames. I ended up having to tighten all the screws and bolts after almost every print to get good results. I decided to fix that by replacing the old acrylic and threaded rod frame with an extruded 2020 based frame. That new frame cost about $100 for extrusions and hardware and only about 1/2 of a 1kg spool of PETG. The only thing I need to do now between prints is hit the heated bed with glue stick and calibrate the Z axis when I hit it while removing a part. (I think I'll stop turning off all the motors when the print is done to keep the Z axis from moving so easily.) Repeatability and surface finish have greatly improved with the new frame but it has pointed to other things that need updating. Like replacing the ball bearings the timing belts run over with actual toothed pulleys.

Eventually I'll update the hot end with a E3D V6 all-metal, the heat bed with a 24V heater, and now I have to update the controller board since it's thermal runaway protection is non-existent. But it's getting better and I'm learning alot.

Speaking of updating my controller board, I was thinking of the Duet Wifi. Does anybody here have any opinions?

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking here for a while and thought I'd join the discussion.

Come on in, the water’s fine! Are you doing anything rocketry related with your printers? I don’t know enough about the pros/cons of the various controller boards at this early stage in my 3D printing adventure to offer an opinion.

IMG_3237.jpg
First fin can attempt. Has some problems so I’m redesigning it, but it was a good learning experience. Motor mount is good though. Designed the tube with an integrated engine block, which I’m thinking will become my go-to motor tube approach for most 18 and 24 mm builds.

View attachment 367359
First fin can attempt. Has some problems so I’m redesigning it, but it was a good learning experience. Motor mount is good though. Designed the tube with an integrated engine block, which I’m thinking will become my go-to motor tube approach for most 18 and 24 mm builds.
Esun grey PETG?

My Amazon Basics PETG bit the big one about half way through the roll. Tried drying the roll in the oven to improve the prints, with no change. The filament just will not flow anymore. Going back with Hatchbox.

My Amazon Basics PETG bit the big one about half way through the roll. Tried drying the roll in the oven to improve the prints, with no change. The filament just will not flow anymore. Going back with Hatchbox.
Switch to ESUN, it is so much better than Hatchbox.

How does it print? I have had a really good experience with Esun.

No complaints, but I will say that the Amazon Basics Orange seems to print better (and was more cleanly wound around the spool). I’ll give ESUN and Hatchbox a try.

No complaints, but I will say that the Amazon Basics Orange seems to print better (and was more cleanly wound around the spool). I’ll give ESUN and Hatchbox a try.
Only issue I have had with eSun is a bit of stringing, practically the same as any PLA though. Prints are incredibly strong and the price is not bad at all.

Come on in, the water’s fine! Are you doing anything rocketry related with your printers? I don’t know enough about the pros/cons of the various controller boards at this early stage in my 3D printing adventure to offer an opinion.

Actually my string maker was rocketry related. I have 15,000ft of kevlar yarn that I'll make into string to use for shock cords and parachute shrouds.

I was about to use my printer for making engine retainers when it started going wonky and I started upgrading it. I was also about to start making internal t-nut mounts for use with rail buttons. I was going to use them on an Estes Leviathan. Then I was going to make an electronics sled for that Leviathan and do dual deploy with it.

IMG_3239.jpg
Redesigned fin can, motor mount from before, and printed a shock cord attachment ring. Generally happy with the results. Now on to nose come design.

Hatchboc PETG is fine. I think you got a bad roll.
I probably did get a bad roll, but I'm vouching for eSun as I have printed two rolls of their PETG without any issues. It prints better than a lot of PLA. Excellent bed and layer adhesion coupled with incredible strength and durability. Now it sort of sounds like I work for them, but I don't. [emoji12]

I'll possibly try a new roll from Hatchbox, but I don't see the point when eSun is similarly priced and prints better in my opinion.

Just got my Raspberry Pi 3 B+ working on my MK3. The wireless beats the heck out of using the SD card.

A friend of mine is looking for a 3D printer for his 13 YO son and wants to keep the price below $500. Any suggestions?

Well I finally placed the order for my Prusa and I am excited to join the 3D movement. One thing I am still investigating is an enclosure and any health issues due to the fumes that people report from these printers and specific filaments.

How are you dealing with fumes?

Well I finally placed the order for my Prusa and I am excited to join the 3D movement. One thing I am still investigating is an enclosure and any health issues due to the fumes that people report from these printers and specific filaments.

I don't stand directly over while it's rolling. I like the enclosures more for keeping stray drafts away than for any perceived air quality improvement.

I don't stand directly over while it's rolling. I like the enclosures more for keeping stray drafts away than for any perceived air quality improvement.

specific filaments.

Well I wasn't planning on standing over it when running. I should clarify my concern.

It's not just for what some might classify as "regular" usage, whatever that means, but not having used one before this is a concern. I have twins who have asthma so my concerns are not just for myself. I want to be comfortable that I am not introducing something into the environment at home that will exacerbate their asthma, particularly my daughter who has a higher sensitivity. Otherwise I will take the printer to the office, which is less convenient but is an option.

Also as highlighted, from other forums I have read posts about some filaments off-gassing more offensive smells than other filaments.

Almost ready to pull the trigger but at last minute I am also looking at the Lulzbot Taz 6, primarily for the larger print area. The printing will be split between rocketry and some other business needs I have. It will live at the office likely but I haven't decided for sure yet. I have plenty of room there so the bigger printer isn't an issue. But eventually I'll bring it home and then I suppose it might be.

Any thoughts on the Luzbot? For some of my business stuff I could use a build area of 10.5" x 8.5"

Thanks,

Tony

I don’t print ABS, and while PLA can be odorous, it emits lactide, which is harmless. Most of my prints are PETG, which has no discernible odor. I’ve seen rigs with fans that vent to the outdoors.

I keep a canary in my workshop.

I have not seen a lot of research on ABS. I think the risk is overblown.

I don’t print ABS, and while PLA can be odorous, it emits lactide, which is harmless. Most of my prints are PETG, which has no discernible odor. I’ve seen rigs with fans that vent to the outdoors.

Thanks

I quick Googly search of the old Interweb came up with quite a lot of hits, so it appears to be something that is being discussed. Here are just a few search results. I have not read all of the but I do plan on looking into this from many sources.

https://built-envi.com/portfolio/ultrafine-particle-emissions-from-3d-printers/
https://3dprint.com/189902/hazards-of-3d-printing-fumes/
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/toxic-abs-pla-fumes-3dsafety-org-inquires-vocs-60796/
https://io3dprint.com/should-you-worry-about-3d-printer-fumes/
https://www.engadget.com/2016/02/01/study-shows-some-3d-printing-fumes-can-be-harmful/
https://3dprinterchat.com/2017/07/ultrafine-particles-from-3d-printers/
https://box3d.eu/3d-printing-safety-pollution-health/
https://www.dezeen.com/2016/02/16/h...ds-3d-printing-illinois-institute-technology/

View attachment 367359

Don’t use PLA printed motor mounts. The motor heat will warp the PLA and you’ll find one day that motors won’t fit or you can’t get them out after a flight. I can’t speak to other materials, but I Personally wouldn’t risk it. Works fine once or twice. I have several very pretty fin cans with printed mounts that are effectively junk now. Print the Centering rings, but use cardboard for the mount itself. Tubes are cheap. And lighter.

In the shop or the garage, I don’t notice a significant smell from either PLA or ABS (YMMV). In the house, some kind of enclosure or venting may be wise, but the odours aren’t intolerable - though perhaps not entirely healthy depending on the material. A small vent fan should be all you need - if anything.

Has anyone tried one of the carbon fiber filaments yet? I'm hoping to upgrade my printer to use them within the next year.

Has anyone tried one of the carbon fiber filaments yet? I'm hoping to upgrade my printer to use them within the next year.

Not yet, but have read up on it. The issue you will face is that it can be hard on the brass nozzle in the extruder. You will want to look into other nozzles. From what I’ve read, the ruby nozzles handle the abrasion of the carbon fiber filaments.

Back