3D Printing Please forgive me... But perhaps a little guidance?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It might be best to redesign the windscreen as a "flat wrap" with a curve in only one direction, so it can be bent from lightweight clear plastic and mounted on the inside of the cone.

It might be best to redesign the windscreen as a "flat wrap" with a curve in only one direction, so it can be bent from lightweight clear plastic and mounted on the inside of the cone.
Yes, I have some .005" clear polystyrene - I could then just add canopy "ribs" and glue this to the inside - it is a cone, so it is only curved in 1 direction. My big thing then in the "art to part" process is, what material will the nose cone be printed from, and therefore what sticky substance can be used to hold the styrene to the <whatever the nose cone is> (oh please, we can't turn this into a glue thread! I mean, I did raise the issue, but...)

Glue? Fah! Use 2-56 screws, it will give it character. One every quarter inch should do it.
Hmm. Well, I  do have a set of drill bits down to #80. And while drilling all thise holes would be  boring 😜 , you are correct, it would add character. Duty noted, thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Dear Santa, please get me a more powerful set of reading glasses!

Welllll... Christmas is past, new year is past, the office reconfigured all their IP addreses, and I'm finally back at it. Sort of. My dear beloved has me lined up to begin painting her sewing room tomorrow. Meanwhile, I went ahead and updated my solid model of Spiff, his nosecone and canopies.

Spaceman_Spiff_Nosecone.jpg

Now to decide and proceed... I think that 3D printing the nose cone and Spiff makes sense - well, Spiff has to be 3D printed. It may be possible to roll the nose cone from polystyrene sheet, but that would likely need reinforced. It's all but impossible to 3D print clear parts, so something else (as discussed a little above) needs to be done. Since the nose cone is plastic, I think it makes sense to make the centering ring from a plastic that can be adhered well, rather than the kit paperboard ring, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

But at least I have parts that fit...

And , in a sort-of thread bump bump, I hit a small roadblock over on the build thread, so I need to get this done (enough) and see how it fits up with the not-quite right BTS#4 and off-centering ring 5 to see how I will finally dispose of the gap-osis. I have some sheet styrene that would be stronger than cardstock, but when I cut the windows, surely the released streeses will make eveything go catty-wumpus. Maybe start with the cardstock... I practiced once with printer paper, though, and folks, it don't roll up easy...

Last edited:
Back