3D Printing 3D printer plunge

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are all good choices for your basic setup. I’m considering the MMU as well. I can’t speak to nozzles, other than to say that the E3D has performed well - I am also new to this so taking it slowly.

I’ve been printing almost exclusively with PETG (Amazon Basics, $20 for a 1kg spool), a little PLA from time to time (printer comes with a big spool of PLA). Prusa gives you a glue stick, though I don’t use it - the basic PEI coated bed is performing great for me. Alcohol and acetone I already had plenty of in the garage.

Is it worth getting the hardened steel E3D V6 Nozzle and or the Olsson Ruby Nozzle or is the standard brass E3D V6 Nozzle fine as is? What about consumables, like glue, cleaners, filament etc., I am not even sure what type I would want and where to purchase it.
Any advice for the beginner is appreciated.

I bought an Olsson Ruby after I received my MK3. It was designed to be used with the hardest filament out there and basically last forever. Matterhackers is having their Blue Friday today only and the Olsson Ruby is on sale. https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/olsson-ruby-nozzle-175-x-040/sk/M9EQEEFM .

Like my previous post I use Elmers purple stick glue on every print. Amazon has filaments like Hatchbox in PLA and their own line of filaments AmazonBasics. Hatchbox is great stuff and the first roll of AmazonBasics PLA also works great. I also bought some AmazonBasics PETG which I have yet to try. I prefer using PETG over PLA but the PLA is good as well.

I bought an Olsson Ruby after I received my MK3. It was designed to be used with the hardest filament out there and basically last forever. Matterhackers is having their Blue Friday today only and the Olsson Ruby is on sale. https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/olsson-ruby-nozzle-175-x-040/sk/M9EQEEFM .

Like my previous post I use Elmers purple stick glue on every print. Amazon has filaments like Hatchbox in PLA and their own line of filaments AmazonBasics. Hatchbox is great stuff and the first roll of AmazonBasics PLA also works great. I also bought some AmazonBasics PETG which I have yet to try. I prefer using PETG over PLA but the PLA is good as well.
https://olssonruby.com/anders-olsson-olsson-ruby/

Here’s a cool explanation of how the Olsson Ruby nozzle came about.

Last edited:
Good deal. It might be overkill. So far, I have used my brass or hardened steel nozzle. I have not noticed a large difference.

Thanks for the info, I just picked up my first 3D printer part. Lol doing it a bit backwards but I have learned to buy things when they are on sale. Speaking of Black Friday sales, I cannot find and deals on the Prusa printer?

A quick question for all you experienced 3D printer users: how important is ambient temperature when printing? I'm looking to buy a printer and I'll probably keep it at my office where I have plenty of room. But if I decide to have it at home can it live in the garage? I live in Texas and although I do have insulated garage doors it can get in the 90's in the summer and down to the high 50's in the winter. Is that out of the question?

This has been a really great thread, thanks for all the info. BTW, I am looking at the Prusa MK3.

Tony

A quick question for all you experienced 3D printer users: how important is ambient temperature when printing? I'm looking to buy a printer and I'll probably keep it at my office where I have plenty of room. But if I decide to have it at home can it live in the garage? I live in Texas and although I do have insulated garage doors it can get in the 90's in the summer and down to the high 50's in the winter. Is that out of the question?

This has been a really great thread, thanks for all the info. BTW, I am looking at the Prusa MK3.

Tony

You can probably get away with it. That said a cheap enclosure could help out, particularly in winter if you want to print with a high temp on the heat bed (I do PETG at 90C). I made mine out an $11 Walmart end table, some leftover radiant barrier, a thin piece of acrylic, and some 3D printed parts of course. I get around +35C over ambient when printing with a 90C bed temp.

I built mine out of two $9 Ikea Lack end tables with plexiglass from Lowes. Cheap and it only took part of a day to assemble. Look up "Lack table 3D printer enclosures".

I bought two cheaps ones from eBay and have one sensor inside and outside the enclosure.

Got and built my second 3D printer this weekend. I'm using a very old laptop for the slicer software and connection to the printer. I generally don't use SD cards (which no doubt has a disadvantage should the laptop crash during print).Ender-3_Pro_Complete.jpg

Hello. I'm a BAR just going through this thread. I've had my Prusa for a year and a half and several upgrades. I'm now doing the MMU2, should have it printing later today. I also have a Monoprice mini select, which I like to mess around with. Rocket wise, I've printed two of the Mars Landers from Thingiverse that I posted here in another thread a couple weeks ago. Hopefully I can help new people with their 3d printing questions, and I know I'll learn a lot about my next step into mid-power rockets.

Hello. I'm a BAR just going through this thread. I've had my Prusa for a year and a half and several upgrades. I'm now doing the MMU2, should have it printing later today. I also have a Monoprice mini select, which I like to mess around with. Rocket wise, I've printed two of the Mars Landers from Thingiverse that I posted here in another thread a couple weeks ago. Hopefully I can help new people with their 3d printing questions, and I know I'll learn a lot about my next step into mid-power rockets.

Would be interested in your MMU2 experience, please post!

I had the MMU1 until I upgraded to the 2.5 as I wanted the removable flex bed. It took a bit to debug it, but it got so I could walk away from a 12 hour plus print and not worry. The big thing is quality filament, but that's important if you want quality prints with anything. Diameter variations on some filament is terrible regardless of the stated tolerance. Also dialing in temps were way more important to prevent stringing during retractions. Overall though I've missed my MMU, can't wait to get this going !

IMG_3229.jpg
Not rocket related, but designing and printing this part to reattach the door closer on the basement storm door was good practice. Recessed wells for hex nuts, holes aligned in two pieces - basic skills which I’m now more adept at.

Welcome DaveinMI,

Did you move away from the Prusa, if so why?

Which one are you looking at?
Don't know yet. Might make one up myself.

What, you can 3D print beer!
Yep. The beer is blue, red, black, or yellow but it stills tastes great!!!

Are the batteries friction fit, and do you just use a simple snap connector for them? Nice design.
Yep. I can turn it on its side and they will not fall out. Yep. Simple connector but they have a hard solid plastic top and not the cheap ones. Thanks.
Now that I am going to retire from the airlines early next year I have a lot more time for flying rockets. Plus the fact I have about 600 motors left from my manufacturing days to fly. Js thru Ns.

IMG_3234.jpg
Designed and printed these 16mm wide filament guides to replace the stock ones on the enclosure. Filament moves easily through them, no snagging a high-Z as is sometimes the case with the thin guides.

Back